Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bouncing back end during wheeling.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NikosKefGR

Bouncing back end during wheeling. Empty
PostSubject: Bouncing back end during wheeling.   Bouncing back end during wheeling. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 2:51 am

The past few weeks I an learning to clutch my wr250x up on second gear. I am doing well but there a weird thing holding me back.. When I clutch it up most of the times the back tire starts bouncing like it loses grip.. So while the front tire goes up the back end shakes up and down.. I've never seen this before. I found out that maybe it's the road, maybe the tire temperature. I dont know. Maybe I am not heavy enough and bike loses grip?
It's a shame to be able to get it up and having this issue scaring me everytime. GAHHHH

I also get this "bouncing" of teh back tire when i accelerate a bit harder.. I suppose that situation "hurts" the bike huh ?
Anyone had the same problem ? scratch
I could really use some enlightening.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Bouncing back end during wheeling.   Bouncing back end during wheeling. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 5:19 am

First thing that comes to mind is the chain skipping over sprocket teeth under acceleration.

The stock sprockets, especially the stock rear sprocket that came on 2008 model bikes, is/are most known for this because the rubber damper ring bonded to it (it's an EPA-inspired noise damper) can actually lift the chain off the sprocket a bit.
This makes chain slack adjustment more finiky when wanting to clutch 'er up for a wheelie because if it's just a little bit more loose than the recommended slack spec, you can experience this skipping you're (probably) getting.
I also feel this then encourages riders to adjust their chains too tightly, another no-no.

The quick fix is to carefully check chain slack and adjust if it's too loose according to the specification.
My personal solution is to do away with the stock sprocket, altogether, and mount a real he-man sprocket to get both a sprocket without the damper, and one that's got a few more teeth on it in order to lower the gearing to something realistic for a 250cc bike.
If you go that route, you'll need a longer chain.
Well worth it, though.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Bouncing back end during wheeling.   Bouncing back end during wheeling. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 5:35 am

YZEtc wrote:
First thing that comes to mind is the chain skipping over sprocket teeth under acceleration.

Yup.

What gearing you running? Stock? Count teeth if you don't know.

How old is bike? How many miles on current gearing set up? How old is chain?

How did you set chain tension?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
NikosKefGR

PostSubject: Re: Bouncing back end during wheeling.   Bouncing back end during wheeling. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 am

Gearing is stock. and only has around 4000 miles on it.. Now i get this back wheelie hop also when accelerating a bit harder..
So it has nothing to do with the tires huh ?? i will have a look on the chain and let you know.. I just want to know that its not a matter of tires, bearings or something like that..
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Bouncing back end during wheeling.   Bouncing back end during wheeling. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 7:41 pm

NikosKefGR wrote:
Gearing is stock. and only has around 4000 miles on it.. Now i get this back wheelie hop also when accelerating a bit harder..
So it has nothing to do with the tires huh ?? i will have a look on the chain and let you know.. I just want to know that its not a matter of tires, bearings or something like that..

Does your back sprocket look like this:

Bouncing back end during wheeling. DSCN0530

Does it have the "ring" or "gasket" that the red arrow is pointing to?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bouncing back end during wheeling.   Bouncing back end during wheeling. Empty

Back to top Go down

Bouncing back end during wheeling.
Page 1 of 1