Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Quieter Exhaust

Go down 
+4
N8
rsteiger
motokid
Force
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Force

Quieter Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Quieter Exhaust   Quieter Exhaust EmptyWed May 01, 2013 5:51 am

When I bought my bike it came with a Yoshimura exhaust on it. I'm not really sure how to make it quieter because it's pretty loud and I always have to wear earplugs, even on short journeys.

Is there anyway of reducing the loudness of it?

If not then I'd like to put back on the original exhaust on the bike. There are a couple of loose cables that connect to the exhaust (I'm guessing). How will I set these up? I'm guessing they are for opening and closing a port depending on revs. Is there a guide to do this?

I can get pictures if this helps anyone with what I'm talking about.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Quieter Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quieter Exhaust   Quieter Exhaust EmptyWed May 01, 2013 6:21 am

Those "loose cables" are probably part of the stock exhaust's EXUP system. I'm kinda surprised the the previous owner left them dangling there. scratch

If you go back to stock pipe plenty of people here can help you out with how to hook them back up.

You might want to look into an FmF Q4 pipe. If you don't want to go back to stock.

Is there a spark arrestor in end of pipe you have?

There's also something called a DB Dog that you can look up. It's an insert you can put in end of pipe.
Not sure if there's one specific to a Yosh pipe or not.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Quieter Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quieter Exhaust   Quieter Exhaust EmptyWed May 01, 2013 6:44 am

You can put the stock exhaust back on but I would not bother with hooking up the cables. Just tie strap them back out of the way.

There is a valve in the stock exhaust that those cable would open and close during different RPM and throttle applications. From what I have seen on video the valve did not move very often and when it did it moved very little.

You should be fine just bolting on the exhaust since the valve is held open by a spring. If you want to be more positive just safety wire the valve in the open position.
Back to top Go down
N8

Quieter Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quieter Exhaust   Quieter Exhaust EmptyWed May 01, 2013 6:58 am

My bike came with a FMF Powercore on it and I bought a used Q4 and sold the powercore for minimal cash out of pocket. No regrets - much more bearable.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Quieter Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quieter Exhaust   Quieter Exhaust EmptyWed May 01, 2013 10:12 am

I'm convinced, stock, is the only quiet option.
The rest is just minor differences in tone, which can effect how bearable it is.
I'm sure a Db meter will show some minor differences in numbers...but I'm just talking loud or quiet in the real world.

I didn't have any luck with the Db Dawg in my PC4 either, a total waste of effort on my part...maybe if it was inserted into an already existing silencer...?

Anywho, best off learning to like it, because stock is the only big difference in noise you will probably find does a good job.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

Quieter Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quieter Exhaust   Quieter Exhaust EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:02 am

How about the LeoVince X3?

it's the only one that is street legal here for the wr250 as it passes sound emission levels. not sure how loud it is, but at 5000 rpm it can't be much louder than stock (which is 88 dB) as this is where they measure it. it maybe be substantially louder above 5000 rpm, but below that it shouldn't be that much louder than stock.
Back to top Go down
novaks47

Quieter Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quieter Exhaust   Quieter Exhaust EmptySat May 25, 2013 9:34 pm

bigg wrote:
How about the LeoVince X3?

it's the only one that is street legal here for the wr250 as it passes sound emission levels. not sure how loud it is, but at 5000 rpm it can't be much louder than stock (which is 88 dB) as this is where they measure it. it maybe be substantially louder above 5000 rpm, but below that it shouldn't be that much louder than stock.

I have that exhaust on my WR. With the smallest of the quiet inserts, and the spark arrestor screen installed, it's not much louder than stock. At idle, it's a few db's louder, but once riding, it's more of a change in tone than loudness. At high RPM's at WOT however, as you predicted, is much louder than stock. Just rippin' around town however, nobody will so much as bat an eyelash in your direction with this exhaust.
Back to top Go down
34wrc

Quieter Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quieter Exhaust   Quieter Exhaust EmptySun May 26, 2013 11:22 pm

I'm just gonna stick to the stock pipe for now and do the airbox mod I think.

When I had my WR250X I fitted the GYTR pipe and just removed the exhaust actuator cables all together and it ran fine with
the flapper mod. The GYTR pipe was a little loud for my liking so I made my own restrictor for it to quieten it down a bit.
Was still loud though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quieter Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quieter Exhaust   Quieter Exhaust Empty

Back to top Go down

Quieter Exhaust
Page 1 of 1