Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

did i hurt anything brand new wr

Go down 
+4
motokid
oic0
GT-250
kpla51
8 posters
AuthorMessage
kpla51

kpla51

did i hurt anything brand new wr Empty
PostSubject: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyWed May 01, 2013 9:55 pm

so i bought a 2013 today and the bad news is the only way to get it home was to ride 45 miles on a highway. i didnt keep it at a certain speed for long times but kept it between 55 and 70 to keep up with traffic would i of hurt anything?. i know there is a break in period i just hope i didn't already ruin it baldy
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyThu May 02, 2013 3:01 am

Will be all good mate - with this type of modern EFI Technology nowadays, best way to "run it in" is as the same way that your gunna ride it.... Proberly the only real run in period is in regards to the "slippy" new knobbies & also to fully "bed in" the new brake pads & rotors.....You've done more than the "right" thing in any case by varying your speed / rev's. No damage has been done mate, carry on & enjoy.

As for my new bike "run in" the only thing i didn't do was "find" the rev limiter until it had done approx 300 klm's. Otherwise i ran the bike pretty hard from day dot. Mechanically speaking, as with everything, there is a big difference between working the engine hard & thrashing it to death. ( And as others will also back up, this little japa motor is very well built and loves to rev fairly hard ).

Also on my bike, the new knobbies & brakes started to feel alot better after approx 300~500 klm's. ( Black top use - off road the tyres are still crap ).

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyThu May 02, 2013 10:33 am

kpla51 wrote:
so i bought a 2013 today and the bad news is the only way to get it home was to ride 45 miles on a highway. i didnt keep it at a certain speed for long times but kept it between 55 and 70 to keep up with traffic would i of hurt anything?. i know there is a break in period i just hope i didn't already ruin it baldy

If you were wondering why you were being passed a lot, a displayed 70mph is around 65mph and a displayed 55 is only around 50 ;)
Anyhow, the bike is fine. Their manufacturer described break in period is to reduce warranty claims on the macro scale. You as an individual are unlikely to notice much difference no matter what you do so long as you don't let it run at very low load for a long time (gently cruising at a low speed with no acceleration or decel).
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyThu May 02, 2013 11:22 am

Since there's safety in numbers.....I'll chime in. Very happy

You're fine. Bike is fine. Happy riding. Welcome to the addiction.

freaky

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyThu May 02, 2013 12:14 pm

When I bought mine I was told to ride it like I intend to ride. Not nessasarily like you stole it, but not to baby it either. My bike has been risen hard from day one. Now has 9000+KMS and still goes like clockwork. Just be sure to change the oil around 500kms then at 2000kms. Then go nuts.
Back to top Go down
japako

japako

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyThu May 02, 2013 2:02 pm

I believe heat cycles are more important when breaking a new engine in. At least in the beginning break in period.
Slowing down using engine decompression is also as important as raising the rpm shifting through the gears.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyThu May 02, 2013 7:56 pm

thanks for all the input good to hear i didn't hurt it!
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyThu May 02, 2013 8:53 pm

No worries mate.... I'd say that the opposite is more likely here, meaning even from straight out of the box you'd have to try real hard to really "hurt" it.

Enjoy your new bike mate.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyFri May 03, 2013 10:46 am

It's ruined.

Let me know where you are so I can come pick it up.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyFri May 03, 2013 10:50 am

Oh! don't forget the first oil change though! You've probably ridden it about far enough now. You do your first one right away to get rid of any trash left from when the motor was put together and from initial break in. Get her good and warm first too.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyFri May 03, 2013 11:52 am

Agreed. That's probably the most important thing to do. New filter too.

At that point this bike will probably go 3 million miles without any problems.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyFri May 03, 2013 12:09 pm

How many miles should I do this at?
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyFri May 03, 2013 12:14 pm

kpla51 wrote:
How many miles should I do this at?

The manual says 600, but most people like to change it a lot earlier. Heck, some people change it immediately after the ride home. I think I did mine at 100 miles or so and then again at 600. Used cheapy oil those first few times and didnt change to a pure ester based synthetic until the change at 3k.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyFri May 03, 2013 12:31 pm

I was told not to use synthetic because of the clutch.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyFri May 03, 2013 2:12 pm

GusinCA wrote:
It's ruined.

Let me know where you are so I can come pick it up.

poser2
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr EmptyFri May 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Yes i did my first oil & filter change at 500 klm's..... But also when i first got my new bike back home with approx just 25 klm on it i also changed out the stock drain plug for the Yamaha accessory magnetic plug. Was able to do this pretty easily to only lose about a tea spoon of oil - so didn't even need to "top" it up. ( I thought that this was the best way to enable all future monitoring of the drain plug magnet straight from new. From the first oil change onwards, i have never had anything more than a very small & "normal" amount of slight metalic type slude on the magnet - so all very good. With the magnet in place at this lowest point in the oil system, if anything untoward was to happen, chances are that i may get some earlier indication at this magnetic drain plug. Touch wood, not expecting this outcome into the very long term foreseeable future ).

Example of mentioned drain plug in below Yamaha AU link.

http://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/gytr-magnetic-drain-bolt-12mm

Cheers guys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: did i hurt anything brand new wr   did i hurt anything brand new wr Empty

Back to top Go down

did i hurt anything brand new wr
Page 1 of 1