Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Help ASAP

Go down 
+2
Peterbuilt
AJBsays
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AJBsays

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyThu May 02, 2013 6:48 pm

so today was the first day this has ever happened. while driving check engine light comes on quick and shuts down bike completely, stop pull over turn it off and back on and it runs fine,,, but then it did it again a hour or so later... any suggestions or thoughts?????
Back to top Go down
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 12:16 am

what year is the bike ?

If it's an early 08 model, I'd point at the fuel pump and say to start there..
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 5:36 am

You really need to provide much more information.

Year of bike.
Mods done. If any.
What else was going on? How long had you been riding? How hot was it outside?
Were you in deep sand and over-heating the bike, or riding down highway at 55 mph on a cool day?
Was it raining?

Things you can check:

Check the connector between the radiator and the gas tank. Make sure it's pushed together real good.
Battery connections.

As mentioned above - my initial thought goes straight to fuel pump if you're on a 2008 model r or x.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 7:43 am

Proberly easiest to just start with a DTC check - DIAG MODE & then function "61" to read codes. If the "check engine" light is coming on then there will be a fault code/s logged, which obviously will help a great deal to narrow down the actual area of the problem.

There should be some good info here if you do a search on fault / error codes, or on how to access "DIAG MODE" etc.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
AJBsays

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 8:24 am

its a 2008 wr250x, I got air box door off, flapper mod, fmf full exaust, power commander with auto tune, it was about 75 degrees, was just on the highway, it was not over heating at all, had this bike for 2 years now and never a problem, I specificly use it for stunting but I mean never ever have had a problem, I checked all batter connections and power commander connections all looks good,... it has never done this ever before...... but it did it twice yesterday,,, check engine light pops on and litteraly shuts right off, turn key off turn key back on and its fine, fuel pump primes everytime.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 8:51 am

How many miles on it?

I seem to recall the 2008 fuel pump issues don't show themselves until around 7000 miles or so. I could be a little off on that.

I'd try that diagnostic mode check idea that GT-250 suggested. See if that provides any insight.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
AJBsays

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 11:03 am

i went into diag mode, now it flashed 3 codes...... coolant temp sensor, lean angle sensor, left idle control..... now ive never cleared the codes.. i know its not the lean angle sensor because thats from when i crashed it lol... and i dont believe its the left idle control because thats if the bike is idling for 20min it will shut off,, there is about 3000 miles on her...... any help or insight???
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Kickstand switch could kill it...but don't think that would leave a code.

Check your coolant level.

Reset the codes for next time.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Has the coolant ever been changed? Manual calls for 13,000 mi/ 24months.

If so, did you put the correct coolant in?
Back to top Go down
AJBsays

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 4:20 pm

coolant level on left side seems to be full, havent checked rad yet.. and i changed the coolant last year with just normal 50/50... and its not the kickstand, that was the first thing i checked lol..
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 8:05 pm

mucker wrote:
......Reset the codes for next time......

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey mate have you done this yet, if not then that is the correct next step. ( Function "62" and cycle the red engine kill switch to clear all codes. I would then suggest to go fully out of DIAG MODE, then back in again to function "61" to be totally sure that the codes have indeed been cleared ).

Then check coolant level in the actual radiator - has very small "saftey" locking grub screw on cap. Check at "stone" cold.

Then re-test / ride the bike and see what happens again.

Also make sure that electric cooling fan is working.

Please post any further results / info as you go thru all the basic stages.

If coolant temp sensor code was to return, then i would start by at least checking for a good & clean electrical connection at the actual sensor plug itself.

Cheers.

Back to top Go down
AJBsays

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 8:22 pm

OKAY cleared all the code and rode the bike for awhile and FINALLY it did it again and it flashed a code 70 which means left idle control,,,, now I need your guys help!!!! I do have a idle cable attached to control the idle for stunts but many others do also and never had this problem so I do not believe that is it... also the code 70 means the bike is left at idle for 20 minutes and shuts off. not any of the times when it shut down was it idling at all either accelerating or down shifting.... so what do you guys think?????
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 8:35 pm

I think your mod fooled/frigged the idle sensor somehow...

I'm not familiar with your mod nor yamaha's sensor...it would just trip at , whatever limit, it should be.

And this is the first, such, complaint...imo

Try the obvious first...
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Well mate you proberly need an actual plug in scan tool to further diagnose. This is because with a scan tool the "current data" can be read live, which may show that the idle switch is "stuck" in the idle mode. In any case this possibiltity would be detected ASAP with a plug in scan tool.

I would suspect that this "switch" may possibly be incorperated with-in the TPS. Other possible faults could be internal ECU.

In any case maybe go thru the re-set process again, get a stop watch and then ride the bike again to see if the same code logs in the "20 min idle shut down" function. Proberly be more likely an intermittant fault if it's not at a consistant time frame.

Cheers & good luck mate.
Back to top Go down
AJBsays

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptyFri May 03, 2013 9:15 pm

I also forgot to add I do have a 12 oclock labs speedo healer which has been malfunctioning a bit lately, but that's for speed don't think it has anything to do with idle anyways, I reset codes took that off and put it back to stock tomorrow morning I am gonna wake up and ride her till she does it again and then go from there. I don't think it has anything to do with my idle mod... many guys run them and have had no issues...
Back to top Go down
AJBsays

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP EmptySat May 04, 2013 7:59 pm

so after removing the 12 o clock labs speedo healer and connecting the stock back up I rode with a stop watch and the bike did not do it, and I rode it and left it on for 1hour and 18 minutes, wheelies and all. so im gonna give it another try tomorrow am and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help ASAP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help ASAP   Help ASAP Empty

Back to top Go down

Help ASAP
Page 1 of 1