Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

what all to take off stock bike?

Go down 
+3
oic0
skierd
kpla51
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kpla51

kpla51

what all to take off stock bike? Empty
PostSubject: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:17 pm

so took my stock wr out today for the first time off road and the dang mud flap thing on the rear was driving me nuts banging around so i took it off anything else you guys take off? id like to loose the unnecessary things.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? EmptyFri May 10, 2013 1:43 am

Rear shock, cause you'll need to once it packs up with mud and wears out with gunk flung from the tire.

Here's a great weight loss plan from Rick Ramsey's website:

http://rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm#removed
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? EmptyFri May 10, 2013 10:44 am

If you aren't going through water, the airbox door gives the bike a kick in the pants ;)
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? EmptyFri May 10, 2013 1:10 pm

What's the best way to remove the door so I can reinstall if something happens so I don't void the warranty
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? EmptyFri May 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Takes the clips off either end of the rod running through the hinge and slide it out. Comes right off and goes back on with no damage. I think they meant us to take it off lol.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? EmptyFri May 10, 2013 1:48 pm

skierd wrote:
Rear shock, cause you'll need to once it packs up with mud and wears out with gunk flung from the tire.
I doubt he means the mud flap protecting the shock. That part doesn't bang around.

I would bet he means the whale tail/plate mount/tail light.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? EmptyFri May 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Something was banging around back there going over rough terain and tht was the only thing I could think of
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? EmptyFri May 10, 2013 3:20 pm

I know the tail assembly is big and ugly, but it's sooo funny to watch my buddy have this giant mud stripe grow up his back ever since he removed his.

Leave the bike alone. It's perfect. It needs the bigger tank from IMS (3.1 gallon) and a better seat from Seat Concepts. Also some brush guards and some different gearing/chain if you're going off road on tight single track, but if you're doing a decent amount of street riding this will slow you down too much.

I also put Michelin AC10 DOT knobbies with tire balls in, and an big bash plate, but that's just because I'm a nut who goes 50 miles past the middle of nowhere into trails that look tough for mountain bikes...

One you really start messing with it, that's when people have issues. Some small, some not so small, but I'm one of those riders who likes to worry about nothing at all, ever, except the ride itself...
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? EmptyFri May 10, 2013 6:23 pm

I must chime in on the ugly tail piece and blinkers too.
Tho maybe not stylish, they do work good and take a, reasonably, good beating.
Until I need to replace something...
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? EmptyFri May 10, 2013 8:31 pm

I'd bet it was the chain slapping. May be too loose. A certain amount of chain noise is unavoidable over bumpy terrain. But don't over tighten.

For the love of god, put that mud flap back on.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? EmptyFri May 10, 2013 10:06 pm

I put it back on could it of been the chain slapping that plastic cover over the chain?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? EmptySat May 11, 2013 6:58 am

kpla51 wrote:
I put it back on could it of been the chain slapping that plastic cover over the chain?

Yes, maybe. You can take the guard above the chain off and see if that works. You can also leave that off if you wish. Just don't wear loose clothing or anything that can get caught on a moving chain. Do NOT take the chain guide off - that is the piece below the swing arm just in front of the rear wheel. Do Not take the chain slider off - that is the piece that wraps around the swing arm towards the front sprocket.

Again, some chain slap is normal . Take a gentle street ride and see if you hear the same noises as your trail ride.

Search this forum for chain tension advice. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.

Go thru the entire rear taillight assembly too and make sure everything is tight, but I'm betting chain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what all to take off stock bike?   what all to take off stock bike? Empty

Back to top Go down

what all to take off stock bike?
Page 1 of 1