Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Hydration Packs

Go down 
+9
skierd
marty
router.exe
SheWolf
The Yeti
YamWOW!
ZED
Krabill
inspector
13 posters
AuthorMessage
inspector

inspector

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:18 am

Man-o-man, I cannot believe I have been riding for sooooo long without one. Why didn't anyone tell me they were the BOMB? Seriously thou, if you don't have one, think about it.

*inspector is probably the only person that didn't have one huh?
Back to top Go down
Krabill

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:32 am

I just got a Zacspeed SP-3 chest protector/hydration pack all-in-one. I can't say enough nice things about it. Awesome thumb

http://www.zacspeed.com/exotecSp3.shtml
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 9:31 pm

I agree with you inspector. I resisted for the longest time because I hate wearing a backpack while riding and I didn't want the fuss of the hose.

I've decided the fuss and bother is worth it off road.
For touring on my larger bikes I think I'll put the bladder in my tank bag so it's easy to access without taking the helmet off, but I still don't have to wear it and be 'hooked up'
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 10:26 pm

Hydration Packs Gps009

I will put my camelbak bladder in the front bag and wrap the hose around the brake line.

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:08 am

I dont have one because I would fill it with beer... freaky
Back to top Go down
The Yeti

The Yeti

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 10:20 am

I've been riding with a hydration pak for years, either on my back or in my tankbag. I don't know how people can ride, especially off road, without one...I'd be very dehydratred if I only drank at rest-stops. freaky

I usually can't stand the straps on a backpack while riding, but since I got my Koerta pressure suit, the clavicle protectors take up almost all the strap weight off my shoulders, another bonus of wearing the Koerta. bannana
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 2:10 pm

I've got 2 options with mine. I can run it in the Camelback, or take the bladder out and put it in my enduro jacket as it's got a pouch in the back just for that reason along with the hole for the hose. I could be real juicy and run both I guess, being I do have a spare bladder/hose. wink

router.exe

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 10:46 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I've got 2 options with mine. I can run it in the Camelback, or take the bladder out and put it in my enduro jacket as it's got a pouch in the back just for that reason along with the hole for the hose. I could be real juicy and run both I guess, being I do have a spare bladder/hose. wink

you have a spare bladder? is that woman thing, or a black market DIY install? if the latter, how much was it?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 11:15 pm

You can buy spare bladders cheap enuf. Very happy I picked mine up for $6. Hell my bladder has outlasted guys who have consumed more than their fair share. I don't suffer from 2 mile kidneys. thumb

router.exe

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 1:07 pm

bad joke fail Shog
Back to top Go down
marty

marty

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 12:04 pm

i picked up a cheap imitation camel back ($10) from the local camping store for a road trip i did earlier this summer. filling it up with ice water made riding through warmer climates so much nicer, plus it was great having something to drink while riding.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 2:24 pm

Haha. One of the last rides I went on didn't route the hose right. It kept thwaping behind me, then when I went for a drink couldn't reach it. Looked like i was having seizers sitting in traffic twitching all over trying to get the mouth piece to swing around.

*Mine even has a little spot to hold one Monster on the outside of the pack. (had one explode on the inside before)
Back to top Go down
skierd

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 12:39 am

I used a Coleman copy of a camelbak on my trip, got it from Walmart for $25. They had one cheaper, but I wanted the little backpack space for soft items like extra food and cold layers. Never filled mine up with ice water though, tap temp isn't as shocking when it hits your mouth.

My pack has a loop on each shoulder strap, I would take the hose and run it across my chest with the mouthpiece looped through so I always knew where it was.
Hydration Packs 336
Back to top Go down
marty

marty

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 10:27 am

i just wore mine under my jacket. the ice water held up against my back kept me nice and cool on those hot july days while riding across the plain states.
Back to top Go down
bash3r

bash3r

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 pm

Here's a couple that are worth a look at, for the price compared to a camelbak..

$26 - 70oz
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/19496-130_DAKGL9-2-Accessories-24-Bags/Dakine-Glacier-70oz-Pack.htm

$29 - 100oz
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylepkey=14270&style_id=130%20SETMF5&detailName=Sette%20Max%20Flopak%20Hydration%20System%20100oz&dept_id=2&deptName=Accessories&sub_id=24&subName=Bags&lprice=24.98&hprice=24.98
Back to top Go down
duanew

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 4:50 pm

I got the cheap Wal-Mart Ozark Trail one and I am very happy. The bladders are pretty thick and cheap. The mouthpiece does not leak for me either.

I usually just take a few small sips whenever I feel my mouth get al ittle dry. It keeps me good and hydrated. I like it alot better than guzzling water at rest stops and riding off with a bloated stomach.

I tried filling the bladder with ice, but it did not work well for me. I usually don't drink enough at one time to remove all of the warm water from the large drinking tube. I am just happy to be able to get something wet in my mouth without having to stop.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 11:24 am

So....since this is still going, how do you keep them clean. I'll admit, I'm lazy.

I fill mine from the counter top water dispenser. Has a three gallon jug that we fill up at the local water store with purified, ozonated(sp) water. Hoping the more pure the water the less likely of stuff growing in there. Also when I get home I empty the bag of everything i can, suck out any water in the hose, then throw the whole thing in the freezer.
I really don't want to be running soap through the hose, seems you won't really be able to get all of it out.
Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 11:52 am

Actually... I do run a little dish soap through mine from time to time. Just a few drops and then rinse well. Or a very dilute bleach solution.

You can bend a hanger in a shape to help hold the bag open while it's drying.

As for me, Camelbak all the way. I've played with a few other brands and the Camelbaks have always been the most reliable for me. Besides, the main one I use for riding with enough pack space to store my rain gear only cost me $40 with a 100 oz bladder.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 12:05 pm

I clean both my military hydration packs and my civvy ones pretty regularly. Enough guys have gotten sick from what was PROBABLY a contaminated pack that I figure it's worth the small amount of time required. The mouthpieces and tubes are probably the biggest concern - the human mouth is a germ factory. A quick internet search will turn up many ways of sterilizing the hydration packs, from the tablets intended for that purpose, to Efferdent, to the usual bleach or hydrogen peroxide and water home made solutions.

So, I clean mine on a regular basis - just as I have also done with canteens and water blivets in times past. Getting sick days back in the sticks from bad scoobies growing in your drinking kit is not something I want any part of. Doesn't take any longer than many of the regular maintenance jobs you do on the bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hydration Packs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydration Packs   Hydration Packs Empty

Back to top Go down

Hydration Packs
Page 1 of 1