Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How to ride R in the twisties?

Go down 
+3
SpiritWolf15
longtallsally
inspector
7 posters
AuthorMessage
inspector

inspector

How to ride R in the twisties? Empty
PostSubject: How to ride R in the twisties?   How to ride R in the twisties? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 11:15 am

So I asked this on another forum, but most of those guys have sumos.

Do you ride it like you would in the dirt? No...i know this to be false.

Do you ride it like a sport bike? This is how I do it, but think it is wrong.

Or is it a cross of both? Any pointers, tips, or just how you do it would be cool.

*what got me thinking was how Router.exe and I where stuck in traffic. Came to a side street that I knew to be fun and if we were quick enough, would be able to get around a few cars. All i could hear in the back of my head was, "you are doing it wrong".
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

PostSubject: Re: How to ride R in the twisties?   How to ride R in the twisties? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 11:41 am

With the Death Wings, I dragged the pegs on a regular basis. Well, the toes of my boots- only hit the pegs a few times since the pegs are so small.

I had a pretty good sumo style slide with the D606 that is on the rear now, so I can't be quite as aggressive.

Either way, I ride it like a dirt bike on the street in that I weight the outside peg in a turn. Sportbikes on public roads are stupid- thus why my track bike is used only on the track. The only crossover skill is counter steering IMO. Due to the soft travel up front of the WRR, don't brake into a turn (you shouldn't do this anyway no matter what bike you're on) and be on the throttle and up a decent amount in the revs so you can easily balance the chassis should you start to slide.

Again, with the Death Wing on the front, I push it every now and then, but it has yet to really spook me. In good traction, it is pretty hard to bring the rear around unless you hit a patch of shmutz in the road, or you are just about on the rev limiter in the first 3 gears. In general the chassis is very forgiving.

Bottom line, listen to the sumo guys as the only thing the 17s offer is a bit more grip- the concept is the same. And actually in sumo racing I think there is a sportsman class or something for those who run 21" and 19" wheels and there are some decent tires made now.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: How to ride R in the twisties?   How to ride R in the twisties? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 4:32 am

On my XT, Kenda Maxitraxx (I think) front and rear, I tend to take the corner a bit slower than I would on my street bike. I find myself shifting my weight slightly to the outside of the turn since I've had a few scares with the bike keeled over like a mono in full broach... Not too pleasant an experience on the 99 north in rush hour traffic... My speed through the corners has picked up 15% as well, so it must be working.

I dunno, my way "MIGHT" help.

Good luck thumb
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: How to ride R in the twisties?   How to ride R in the twisties? EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 1:27 am

longtallsally wrote:
......The only crossover skill is counter steering IMO.

Due to the soft travel up front of the WRR, don't brake into a turn (you
shouldn't do this anyway no matter what bike you're on)

… the only thing the 17s offer is a bit more grip…

Wondering what a "Death Wing" is....

"Countersteering" a crossover skill ? Crossed over from where
again ?

Sooooo.... Iffin you don't brake going INTO the turn, where do YOU brake?

Tire diameter provides more grip…. Alllrightythen.

Thanks ! I’m learning something new about riding every day ! I think....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to ride R in the twisties?   How to ride R in the twisties? EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 10:58 am

"Death Wings" are the stock tires...

Counter steering works great on the fat, wallowy pig Gold Wing we have but I dont do it on the R²! It is a street bike technique...

The later you brake before a turn, the faster you will exit the turn. If you brake in the turn it will send you to the high side of the apex, sometimes not good. If you find yourself too hot in the turn and pushing the outer edge of the apex, you need to "man up" and twist the throttle more to get back down in the turn. That takes some practice and faith in tires! wings
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: How to ride R in the twisties?   How to ride R in the twisties? EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:13 pm

I ride it like a dirtbike in the woods and a street bike on the roads. I countersteer all over the place even on fire roads. This bike reacts quickly and is quite responsive to this technique. I couldn't imagine riding any bike without countersteering...it's one of the first things they teach in MSF classes.
Back to top Go down
The Yeti

The Yeti

PostSubject: Re: How to ride R in the twisties?   How to ride R in the twisties? EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:43 pm

asheville thumper wrote:
I ride it like a dirtbike in the woods and a street bike on the roads. I countersteer all over the place even on fire roads. This bike reacts quickly and is quite responsive to this technique. I couldn't imagine riding any bike without countersteering...it's one of the first things they teach in MSF classes.

+1 thumb
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: How to ride R in the twisties?   How to ride R in the twisties? EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 3:47 am

Maybe I don't know enough to figure out I'm doing it wrong, but I tend to ride mine like a motorcycle regardless of surface. amazon Unless you're at parking lot speeds, push left to go left, push right to go right, etc. Keep your head up and look ahead, stop thinking so much, and let your body and the bike work together.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: How to ride R in the twisties?   How to ride R in the twisties? EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 9:48 am

skierd wrote:
Maybe I don't know enough to figure out I'm doing it wrong, but I tend to ride mine like a motorcycle regardless of surface. amazon Unless you're at parking lot speeds, push left to go left, push right to go right, etc. Keep your head up and look ahead, stop thinking so much, and let your body and the bike work together.

Bwahahah, that was funny.

But seriously. On the street you "push left to go left, push right to go right" called counter-steering by many
On the dirt you "push down" in the direction you want to go

*inspector has forgotten what the original question was, he will go look now

**edit....Ok, after reading the question I realized I wasn't that clear.

I have seen video of sumos SPANKING sport bikes in the corners. The rider had his leg out, foot down, kind of like MX bikers do in a race. (stricktly curiosity talking here)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to ride R in the twisties?   How to ride R in the twisties? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to ride R in the twisties?
Page 1 of 1