Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

clutching up on the dirt?

Go down 
+4
oic0
JBEGNOCHE
YZEtc
kpla51
8 posters
AuthorMessage
kpla51

kpla51

clutching up on the dirt? Empty
PostSubject: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 pm

ok so i can wheelie pretty decent on the asphalt. now when i hit the dirt my back tire just seems to spin whenever i try to clutch up. this is very frustrating haha. i do have the stock tires could this be somewhat of the issue or is there a different technique for dirt than the road?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Knobby tires.
Gear bike down for dirt.
Ass toward back of the seat.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 10:03 pm

i have the 12 tooth in the front i gues the stock tires are horrible?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 10:23 pm

C'mon.
I've read that you are into motocross, or at least motocross bikes.
Back to top Go down
kpla51

kpla51

PostSubject: Re: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 10:44 pm

i have trouble on my kdx too and that has true knobbies if im on hard packed dirt for some reason i just spin the back tire when trying to clutch up
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 5:45 am

The WR-250R won't wheelie as easily as your typical dirt bike, but it will once you get the feel for it and make the changes I mentioned above.

As you can tell by looking at the tread pattern, the stock tires are made for lots of street riding and won't bite into the dirt as well as a knobby tire.
Also, when off-road, drop tire pressure down to around 12 psi.
Back to top Go down
JBEGNOCHE

PostSubject: CLUTCH USE   clutching up on the dirt? EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 8:56 pm

I have been told motocross trannys do not need to clutch to shift. Is this true with the wr250, I have tried it and it feels fine but I do not want to damage anything. Any advice would be appriciated.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 pm

It depends on how well you can pull such a maneuver off.

If you do it one too many times while on the throttle and/or in a sloppy/abusive manner that results in ugly metallic noises with each shift, you would have transmission problems, eventually.

Me?
I use the clutch while shifting.

Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 12:10 am

Clutch for me too, though it must be possible safely somehow since some sport bikes come from the factory with an quick shifter now. Thats more of a full race thing though, its always better to use the clutch if you aren't trying to shave off tenths of a second.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 5:11 am

JBEGNOCHE wrote:
I have been told motocross trannys do not need to clutch to shift.  Is this true with the wr250, I have tried it and it feels fine but I do not want to damage anything. Any advice would be appriciated.

The common call is that the 250r/x is basically one quarter of the R1 engine.

Therefore I'd question if the transmission is a "motocross" tranny or a street tranny.

My guess would be that it's closer to a street transmission than a dirt transmission.

dunno 

Regardless - I use the clutch to shift. Both up and down.

I'd prefer my transmission last for decades.....Very happy

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 4:48 pm

while I was getting my first check on the bike when I bought it another guy was having his transmission being taken apart from his R1. He said he was shifting without clutch to improve his lap times... He managed to strip off 2 entire teeth off his second gear. all that to save 1 tenth? half a tenth? you could save double, triple, 10 times that time by improving your own riding skills, taking a better line into a corner, braking harder into it etc.

that's gonna be an expensive 0.1 seconds GAHHHH 

the clutch is there for a reason.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 5:06 pm

You can shift without the clutch as much as you like without hurting the transmission as long as you back off the gas while doing it.

When riding easy I never use the clutch once moving, Ive ben riding this way for 20 years and havent hurt a transmission yet.

If im going wfo I use the clutch and keep the throttle pinned, bikes are faster when riden this way.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:15 pm

Biglake wrote:
You can shift without the clutch as much as you like without hurting the transmission as long as you back off the gas while doing it.

Exactly. That's how most quick shifters work (by killing the ignition) to unload the dogs.
Back to top Go down
JBEGNOCHE

PostSubject: THANKS   clutching up on the dirt? EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like clutch is best but if hanging on for your life with both hands at 13,000 feet and need to shift without the clutch once in a while I probably wont leave parts behind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: clutching up on the dirt?   clutching up on the dirt? Empty

Back to top Go down

clutching up on the dirt?
Page 1 of 1