Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!

Go down 
+5
gatorfan
john92
Akasy
njbill
skierd
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! Empty
PostSubject: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 10:47 pm

First off, I'm NOT flaming IMS. They were trying to stuff 3 gallons of fuel in an area where Yamaha could only fit 2, so mad respect for that.

I'm guessing that most of the 3 gallon IMS tanks are at minimum going to be a very tight fit. Some may be a dangerously tight fit like it would have been with my bike.

Had I bolted it down, I'd have caused damage IMHO. Got yer attention now, eh? Very happy

I just posted over in the Monster Thread about how I dealt with this - with photos, of course. I'll make another installment after the glue dries and final assembly!

Here's a link to today's installment.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337&page=1151

Have fun/ride safe!

Artoo
"guess so"
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:22 pm

Um... I probably would have tried fiddling with getting the tank to set down in properly for a day or three before I started hacking and smashing but thats just me. Or taken pictures and called/emailed IMS. Warranties and such.

Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:29 pm

skierd wrote:
Um... I probably would have tried fiddling with getting the tank to set down in properly for a day or three before I started hacking and smashing but thats just me. Or taken pictures and called/emailed IMS. Warranties and such.

+1 Did I mention mine fit like a glove? deal
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Considered it...   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:35 pm

njbill wrote:
skierd wrote:

+1 Did I mention mine fit like a glove? deal

Skierd,

No smashing yet. Plenty of hacking. I haven't seen a 3 gallon install I've liked yet (large body panel gaps) and suspected that the tanks aren't sitting far enough forward.

Likewise, I allow for the fact that the tank is slightly large and my bike is maybe slightly small. Would a tank swap out have helped? Probably not with the depression for that rubber foot being in the wrong place.

I actually went this route versus cinching bolts down on a bad fit. Now it's a good fit.

Thanks for input anyhow. I may be the first with a bad fitup (suspect not from the photos I've seen) but I won't be the last...

Artoo
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: 3 Gallon   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:47 pm

IMHO I think this is an X vs R perspective. I could not care less if there is a "gap" between panels and seat and tank--This thing gets tossed and abused everytime I ride it--all I care about is functionality.
From the comments it looks like to me the X side of the house is more concerned with product details and appearance--which is fine and I understand, I have a different perspective with some of my other bikes too.
Me never noticed a fitment issue bolted right in checked for leaks and never looked back. From a dual sport perspective I think IMS did an OUTSTANDING job giving me an extra gallon +---- wings cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Well, that's fairly accurate   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 12:04 am

Akasy wrote:
IMHO I think this is an X vs R perspective. I could not care less if there is a "gap" between panels and seat and tank--This thing gets tossed and abused everytime I ride it--all I care about is functionality.
From the comments it looks like to me the X side of the house is more concerned with product details and appearance--which is fine and I understand, I have a different perspective with some of my other bikes too.
Me never noticed a fitment issue bolted right in checked for leaks and never looked back. From a dual sport perspective I think IMS did an OUTSTANDING job giving me an extra gallon +---- wings cheers cheers cheers

Akasy,

Due to being an old guy with short legs and disabilities, I bought an X and outfitted it with knobbies. It's a 2008X that I outfitted with 2009X plastics and graphics. So it does look really nice...

Though I took it up a horror known as Blowout Pass last weekend and found it to be a super capable dirt bike.

Anyhow, I admit it. I care how it looks. Though I did have the old beat spray painted plastics on it on that rrrreally rough ride.

The main motivator was that I was afraid I'd break it if I bolted it down like it was. I'm retired now, but am a former degreed auto bodyman and an ASE cert master mechanic, so I can say I put some thought and experience in it.

Now if I injected some humor into my writeup... well, that's just my way.

Artoo

Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 12:16 am

Artoo, the way I read your post it sounded like the tank didn't fit *at all*, not that you wanted it to sit flush. Now I gets it, carry on and more power to you! I probably care about half as much as you how the damn thing looks hence the confusion, its never sitting still anyway it seems so who cares. poser2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: First Dirt Nap   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 12:22 am

skierd wrote:
Artoo, the way I read your post it sounded like the tank didn't fit *at all*, not that you wanted it to sit flush. Now I gets it, carry on and more power to you! I probably care about half as much as you how the damn thing looks hence the confusion, its never sitting still anyway it seems so who cares. poser2

skierd,

No worries. thumb I threw enough humor into it, it probably wasn't all that clear.

After the bike gets it's first "dirt nap", I doubt I'll care as much what it looks like. Recent purchase and all that.

Heck, it's already "tackled" me once. But that's another chapter! deal

ARtoo
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 6:39 am

Whatever you had to do to be happy with it is fine with me, but here are a couple thoughts:

1. the metal padding that comes on almost every body panel, gas tank, etc. are all referred to as "dampers" which would make me think they're mainly for sound-deadening purposes. No older "dirt bike" I've had has had these stuck everywhere. Once again, if you like them, put them on, no biggie.

2. When I put the tank on, It was a little hard getting it started for bolting down, but shouldn't the rubber bushings on the two main mounts help get it tweaked down to where it needs to be? Both brackets sat against the frame after tightening. (I was a little scared that the coolant hose was pinched under there but by looking at your pics there's a little "tunnel" it passes through.

3. As far as plastics fitment goes, I think I got mine as snug as it can be without doing seat modifications. When you slide the seat on, it def needs to be pushed on a little harder than before. I think one or two people may not have had the lower tab catch on early install pics because mine didn't catch the first time. I had to push down on the seat where it bends to get both tabs hooked up. The second important step is to get the seat to slide as far forward as possible with the top "notch" of the seat to the "knob" on the tank. After doing this, my rear panels have very little gap and the shrouds look decent too. The one thing I've thought for a PERFECT look is that the seat would need to be 1/2" - 1" wider in the front because of the tank holding the shrouds out a little. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment for the shrouds because the tank has lots of shapes for them to sink into and I think that's where they need to be.

I'll try to get some fitment shots up if I can. Sorry for the book. Shog
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 6:54 am

I'm just adding these to see if you think this fit is a little snugger than you've seen or if your wanting more. I kind of see what you're thinking about the tank needing to go forward but that could make the seat line up worse unless the tank is angled perfectly. It's really all about the seat visually. With the skinnier tank, the shrouds were pulled in a little more to tuck under the seat a little better.
Well, here goes:

IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! 100_2000
IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! 100_2001
IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! 100_2002
IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! 100_2003
IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! 100_2004
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 7:37 am

In my VERY humble opinion (because I couldn't manufacture one of these if my life depended on it) it's possible that IMS got caught up in a marketing decision to reach the number "3" at all costs. A "3" gallon tank sells better than a 2.9 gallon tank. If I recall (please correct me if I'm wrong), Shewolf told us something along these lines.

We should be seeing quite a few installs shortly and I hope I'm wrong. I very much want one but don't have the experience to wrestle it in. lurk
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 10:37 am

I just installed mine and it took less than an hour. Most of it making sure I was doing things right. I also have an X.

As a matter of fact I felt surprised that it was so easy. Just made sure not to tighten a fastener before all fasteners were engaged. When all of them were engaged then I proceeded to fasten them.

The only thing that I had to fit was the right shroud bracket that needed a little bend. I took 3 secs to take care of that.

From what I read on the other posts it looks like there are differences between batches. The differences seems to be at the level of the fasteners fixing points.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: X Factor   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Dancamp wrote:
I just installed mine and it took less than an hour. Most of it making sure I was doing things right. I also have an X.

As a matter of fact I felt surprised that it was so easy. Just made sure not to tighten a fastener before all fasteners were engaged. When all of them were engaged then I proceeded to fasten them.

The only thing that I had to fit was the right shroud bracket that needed a little bend. I took 3 secs to take care of that.

From what I read on the other posts it looks like there are differences between batches. The differences seems to be at the level of the fasteners fixing points.

Well, I guess that takes out the "X factor". That is, my problems due to me owning an X. Good to know.

Other input appreciated, too. Things getting a little hot in the monster thread, so I posted this not so humble response. Hopefully not inappropriate. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14047555#post14047555

I think we should also acknowledge that a lot of us were really pushing IMS hard to get up to 3 gallons - or we weren't interested.

Good to know there are some production tolerances, too. S'alright. Maybe for my work I DO get a little extra capacity. Who knows?

It's hard to know what level of plastic bracket flex is "OK". I'd say: Right up until the tank goes "CRUNCH". Yikes. Oops. Like that... There is still some flex of those brackets now on my bike, but I consider it to be very much OK.

Thanks to all for courteous input!

AR2oo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Leg Work?   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 12:38 pm

gatorfan wrote:
In my VERY humble opinion (because I couldn't manufacture one of these if my life depended on it) it's possible that IMS got caught up in a marketing decision to reach the number "3" at all costs. A "3" gallon tank sells better than a 2.9 gallon tank. If I recall (please correct me if I'm wrong), Shewolf told us something along these lines.

We should be seeing quite a few installs shortly and I hope I'm wrong. I very much want one but don't have the experience to wrestle it in. lurk

Gatorfan, here is a possible thing to try if you're willing to do the leg work.

Ask IMS if you can return it if you have a fitment problem. If yes, then order one in and try it. Many more people are saying the install was either easy or not that bad than the very few like me.

I think that's an important note to be sure IMS is getting their due: MOST FIT. When it comes to aftermarket parts, that's high praise for IMS. thumb

I'm going to put this over in the monster thread... see if it cools some jets. 'Cause it's true and very relevant.

Artoo

Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 1:19 pm

Art2:

Chill broheim. dutch dutch

Talented early adapters such as yourself are in the sheds as we speak. We'll have an answer soon'uf. The early returns are looking good for IMS. thumb

As for me? Hell, I'll just pay someone to put it in. That's what you do when you have more money than brains. Very happy

Last edited by gatorfan on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Nice read. Glad you pointed me to the correct posts over there since I won't read thru that honker.

*I've had fitment problems before myself when others haven't. Think you did a great job.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 1:38 pm

Give anything to a "former degreed auto bodyman and an ASE cert master mechanic" and they're going to "Fix it" right.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 10:57 am

Chuck said that they were going to get 3 gallons if it took them longer than the projected date of production. Which he held true to. It's definitely the color of the tanks and plastics that give the illusion things don't fit like they should. I know with mine, they fit like John's do, but because my plastics are white and blue, (not everything black) you can see where the tabs slide under the seat for the shrouds. I'm not complaining I can see that; that to me is being pretty picky and really, mine being the dirtbike version a small cosmetic 'ewwww' in some ppl's minds doesn't justify calling it a bad fit. It fits fine. The ONLY problem I had with this tank were the screws on the fuel pump backing off. It's been good since I took everything apart and re-tightened it all.

PostSubject: Artoo's Mods for IMS Tank - Part 2   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 4:41 pm

More info over here somewhere down on this page:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=1969319b58a09821c85e4df164838d3d&t=329337&page=1155

In a nutshell, I got the one off rare bad fit. Maybe the first. From reports, I'd say this is extremely rare and means IMS has good QC - IMHO.

More and more people reporting seepage from the pump/tank flange. I just filled up and waitin' to see on that... Ride tomorrow if it's not wet with gasoline.

Party to go to... freaky

aRtwo
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 5:05 pm

One thing I noticed too between your setup and mine Larry...is that your rubber dampers between the tank and the frame are different. I have one whole big piece that covers pretty much the whole top of the frame where the tank sits, vs the one rubber puck you took off and showed. Correct me if I'm wrong. It seems this is another difference in the production years.
IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! Img_1410

*edit* Yeah it's the same, I just looked. Crap I thought maybe I was onto something. poser2

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 1:04 am

She: You're onto something alright.

After you go mud whomping, and you have your bike apart, clean it.

Warm soap and water is second only to diving into thigh-deep mud.

"Hands on training" is available at your request.

wink
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 10:01 am

speaking of dirty. That was friggen hilarious reading HF's awesome report on installing the big bore kit. A couple of pictures and you could actually see some DIRT on his bike. GAHHHH Say it isn't so!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Hack Job on Insulator   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 12:16 pm

SheWolf wrote:
One thing I noticed too between your setup and mine Larry...is that your rubber dampers between the tank and the frame are different. I have one whole big piece that covers pretty much the whole top of the frame where the tank sits, vs the one rubber puck you took off and showed. Correct me if I'm wrong. It seems this is another difference in the production years.
IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! Img_1410

*edit* Yeah it's the same, I just looked. Crap I thought maybe I was onto something. poser2

SheWolf,

That rubber puck I took out... well, I cut it out with a pocket knife. So I think it may be the same rubber Y shaped piece. I may have cut it fairly precision so it looked like a removable piece. It's pretty thick there.

Since that's stuck on with double sided tape from the factory, I still wonder how much improvement I might have received had I "unstuck" it and moved it down a half inch.

The off center problem was the most severe of the lot. But ya' know? I'm super happy with the gaps now.

As has been said before, an ex body shop guy and cert mechanic is gonna get pretty picky about anything. And true enough. After fighting aftermarket fenders and quarter panels EVERY SINGLE TIME for fit, gaps and fitment were no longer a science or an art; it became a RELIGION.

The other pic of a black bike with the IMS tank above has gaps just like mine. And in answer to his questions: Yep, mine are just like that and I'm VERY happy with it!

*****New Update***** Not a drop of seepage and not a hint of gasoline smell yet. I haven't ridden it terribly far, but I think it's ok. So one of two things on that:

1.) Possibly the roughness I saw wouldn't have been a problem?...

OR

2.) My tank flange sanding worked and might be the fershizzle for preventing seepage?

I didn't try it out for leaks before sanding this particular tank, so I'll never know.

To all: Positive comments very much appreciated!

Next mod: Rotopax 1 gallon on the Pro Moto Billet tail rack. I won't chronicle that one - it's already been done.

I mainly wanted to write up the tank thing for people who have the really big gaps (hook mod to fix?) or in case someone got into a pickle with the rare "Friday Tank" that absolutely would not fit like mine.

But again, IMS is a quality company. If the very rare tank that doesn't fit shows up (perhaps only the 2nd one?), Skierd was right. Just send it back and wait for another.

So some of this was my impatience fer sure. baldy

Artoo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: "Mud Mod"   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 12:21 pm

X-Racer wrote:
She: You're onto something alright.

After you go mud whomping, and you have your bike apart, clean it.

Warm soap and water is second only to diving into thigh-deep mud.

"Hands on training" is available at your request.

wink

If ya' jam the gaps full of mud, who can see 'em? I think we should call it: "Wuffie's Mud Mod". Very happy

'Course then ex autobody guys would be thinking: "Where's the bondo?"

Rtwo
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Artoo: Good point... She can't see the gaps ! * laugh *
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!   IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!! Empty

Back to top Go down

IMS 3 Gallon Tank - TIGHT FIT!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next