Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Potentate

Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!  Empty
PostSubject: Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!    Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!  EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Welcome to my adventure! Big picture, I'm heading south from Nashville to where the TAT crosses I-65, I'm turning right and riding the TAT to where it crosses I-15 in Utah, then turning left, then taking the slab back to San Diego wink . I'm riding this solo, but look forward to meeting people and seeing the country from my bike. I will be departing TN on Monday 29, July. I really have no idea how this will turn out, but that's the whole point of an adventure.

If anyone lives near the trail, might be near the trail, or just wants to come out let me know. I'd love to meet up with anyone, maybe have lunch, or if you're really feeling lucky ride together for a bit freaky 

My goal is to make this an ongoing post with daily updates from the road lurk  I'll add my spot tracker link shortly, and some good pics once I get moving.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions and snide comments.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!    Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!  EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 11:45 am

Cool! What kinds of things have you done to your bike to prepare for the trip?
Back to top Go down
Potentate

PostSubject: Re: Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!    Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!  EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 2:16 am

Nothing too crazy.

Luggage: From front to rear I have an O'neal tube bag on the front fender, a wolfman tankbag, a small camelback on my back and a coyote giantloop bag on the rear. I'll be strapping a small mountain hardware backpack to the giantloop for just a little extra capacity. I have an fmf exhaust and it needed two heat shields to protect the giant loop (which comes with one) so a friend fabbed up a simple heat shield for me. I also modded the factory header heat shield for the fmf header (that dang thing gets like "catch pants on fire" hot!)

Fuel: Factory tank, there's only a couple legs that I need extra fuel. I'm rocking gatoraide bottle for the legs that I need a little extra mileage. There is one 160 mile leg that I'm going to use a combination of gatoraide bottles and a starbucks coffee bladder (I've read several people using it for fuel, it gives about a gallon and I haven't heard of any failures), I'll have find out the hard way if this is a bad idea Very happy 

Navigation/electrical power: I have an etrex and my iPhone 4s. I'm using motion-x terrain app on my iPhone, and that is my primary navigation. Everyone swears to never use an iPhone for primary nav, but with the motion-x app I believe it can be used. You can   pre-download the maps, and it's really easy to use. So I'm going to do a public service and verify wether or not the iPhone can be used as primary nav. I have the lifeproof waterproof case/handlebar mount. If she fails me I'll fall back on my etrex. For power I have a 12 volt to usb thingie on the handlebars, and a 12 volt cigarette lighter style power source ran under my rear fender. I'm going to try to run a power inverter and charge all my other electronic toys in the bag while driving (camera, go-pro, macbook etc..) I also have a goal zero solar charger to charge a battery pack that I can then use to charge toys at night in the tent.

That's the big picture of my setup, sorry for lack of pics, I promise to correct that soon. My bike is setup waiting on me in my cousin's garage, and I'm visiting my parents right now before I start out. It's like I'm 17 again, not 31. I keep forgetting to get pics of her all bagged out.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!    Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!  EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 9:16 am

Nice. I'd like to see some pics of your loaded beast. If you can, some posts during your trip too!
Back to top Go down
Potentate

PostSubject: Re: Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!    Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!  EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 7:08 pm

30 miles in my trip, not even to dirt yet and the bike blew up. Lost power while doing 75 on the highway, looked in the rear view mirror and she's blowing smoke. Pull over, she's dead! My parents came to pick me and the bike up, now I'm stuck with a dead bike 3000 miles from home. I have no idea what to do now.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!    Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!  EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 7:58 pm

Oh crap! Damn that sucks. Hope you're able to figure it out quickly.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!    Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!  EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Reminds me when I was headed cross country to CO for a monster 3 week ski adventure and the tranny on my old truck blew 40 miles out. I sold the truck to the repair shop that towed me, hitched a ride to the airport and grabbed a flight to CO. That's what credit cards are for.

Chin up.
Back to top Go down
Atomist

PostSubject: Re: Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!    Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!  EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 10:55 pm

Potentate wrote:
30 miles in my trip, not even to dirt yet and the bike blew up. Lost power while doing 75 on the highway, looked in the rear view mirror and she's blowing smoke. Pull over, she's dead! My parents came to pick me and the bike up, now I'm stuck with a dead bike 3000 miles from home. I have no idea what to do now.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm new here but I had read through your threads about your problems earlier this year. What do you think happened? Do you think there was still some sand hiding somewhere that got sucked into the engine?
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!    Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!  EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 2:16 pm

Blows! I was looking forward to reading your report as it unfolded. Updates?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!    Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Trans America Trail TN to UT, an adventure in the making!
Page 1 of 1