Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Transporting my wr/r

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Big-O

Transporting my wr/r Empty
PostSubject: Transporting my wr/r   Transporting my wr/r EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm looking to buy a SMC 600R from discount ramps.com. This is a pretty decent ramp and carrier for the bike that mounts onto the class 3 hitch on my truck. Anyone have better ideas before I pull the trigger?

http://www.discountramps.com/smc-600-motorcycle-hauler.htm
Back to top Go down
sanluissound

PostSubject: Harbor Freight Hauler   Transporting my wr/r EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 12:06 am

My only experience with a single ramp/hitch mounted carrier is the Harbor Freight version carrying my WRX about 200 miles plus one other shortish trip on the front of my motorhome.

The hitch on my mini van has a 1" receiver so I used step up converter to get the whole rig working - between HF's shoddy, Chinese crap and my 1" up to 2" joint I felt the set up a bit flimsy - there was a lot of play/movement as I drove my new bike home through the mountains.

The unit you pointed us to at discount ramps looks better and a class III hitch with the properly sized receiver has got to be stronger than my set up, but...

How about a ramp for loading into the bed of your truck?

Joe

Back to top Go down
N8

PostSubject: Re: Transporting my wr/r   Transporting my wr/r EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 7:31 am

I have an AMC-400 from that same site and am very happy with it. I have never used it to haul my WRX, but I have used it to haul a lot of dirt bikes and even a scooter. No regrets.
Back to top Go down
Big-O

PostSubject: Re: Transporting my wr/r   Transporting my wr/r EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 8:20 pm

Your response is the 3rd or 4th kudo concerning those carriers. I'm going to order up the 600 tomorrow first thing so I can haul my bike around without all the BS of humping a trailer with it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: Transporting my wr/r   Transporting my wr/r EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 12:01 pm

A class III hitch indicates the truck in question is mini/mid size?  If so, some of these smaller trucks have very limited tongue load capacity (for instance a 4-banger Tacoma is limited to 350lbs, which a WR250 on an SMC-600 carrier would readily exceed at 400+ lbs).  Just food for thought....
Back to top Go down
Big-O

PostSubject: Re: Transporting my wr/r   Transporting my wr/r EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 8:02 pm

I've got an F-150 with a class 3 hitch.  I think I should be good. As far as a ramp and putting it in the bed, great idea but I have a nice cap on it, don't wanna be pulling it off etc.
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: Transporting my wr/r   Transporting my wr/r EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 8:22 pm

From what I can find on the good 'ole believable internet, the latest gen Ford factory hitch is good for 500lb max.  Your hitch will have a max tongue/payload rating sticker one it, personally I'd check it to make sure.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Transporting my wr/r   Transporting my wr/r EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 12:58 pm

I use several of those carriers (the AMC-400), and I keep my WRR parked on one at all times. Make sure you get the silent hitch pin and use the bracket. The hitch pin prevents side to side movement, and the bracket prevents up and down movement. I also welded the metal pieces together (instead of just bolts) and the whole unit is locked so ticht that it doesn't wiggle a millimeter even on the roughest roads.

I also angled the back of the rack up 45 degrees to prevent scraping on steep inclines.
Back to top Go down
Big-O

PostSubject: Re: Transporting my wr/r   Transporting my wr/r EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Hey GusinCA, could you post a pic or 2 of your setup?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transporting my wr/r   Transporting my wr/r Empty

Back to top Go down

Transporting my wr/r
Page 1 of 1