Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Axle Block Problems

Go down 
+2
rsteiger
Phoenix104
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Phoenix104

Phoenix104

Axle Block Problems Empty
PostSubject: Axle Block Problems   Axle Block Problems EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 6:46 am

So I was adjusting the chain on my WR and then noticed the blot wasn't going anywhere. Looked on the other side and saw this. baldy 

My axel bent the block itself and now every time i turn the nut, the whole axle just spins. I'm taking it into a shop Friday to seeing if Yamaha will cover it under warranty. Everything is still in stock trim and i've never raced it or done anything extreme to it... but we'll see if they cover it... Pray 

I was just curious, has this happened to any of you guys, or anyone you've known? In the circumstance that Yamaha doesn't cover the part/labor, i don't really know how the remover the axle at this point. One of the guys at my local shop said they could probably cut it off, but I feel that's a bit extreme. Only the Block itself seems to be damaged, but until i remove it, I cant tell for sure.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Axle Block Problems   Axle Block Problems EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 7:39 am

Haven't seen anything like that before...

Are you the original owner? Almost looks like the axle was tightened on top of the block at some point in time.

I don't imagine the block would cost a lot.

eBay has a bunch of them for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=WR250R+axle+block&_sop=15
Back to top Go down
WRXZ

WRXZ

PostSubject: Re: Axle Block Problems   Axle Block Problems EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 11:52 am

I've had this happen to me. I was eventually able to get it off using a 1.25 inch end wrench to hold the side that's suppose to be captured by the axle block. It was an epic battle and when I finally got it off I discovered the threads on the axle were galded.baldy so I had to buy a new axle anyway. If I did it again I'd just cut it off and save myself the hours of effort trying to salvage the axle. I highly doubt Yamaha will cover this under warranty, they'll just tell you that you over torqued the rear axle nut.  I doubt that you actually did as I was using a torque wrench when it happened to me. I think these blocks are only good for so many uses before this happens due to their aluminum construction and the small space between the capture head on the axle and the spacer block. This allows the axle to rotate slightly when you torque it down and pinpoints the force in one spot instead of spreading the force over the length of the lip on the block. I only torque to 75 lbs now, instead of the 90 they recommend.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Axle Block Problems   Axle Block Problems EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 12:31 pm

Turn the axle until you get a gap between the axle-flange and axle-block that would allow a large flat-bladed screw driver to act as a wedge, then see if you can get the axle nut loose using the screw driver blade as your temporary axle-block.

I would not buy a Yamaha replacement axle-block.
I'd buy an aftermarket one. Zeta makes some nice looking replacements.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Phoenix104

Phoenix104

PostSubject: Re: Axle Block Problems   Axle Block Problems EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 4:58 pm

I've tried wedging a screwdriver in the gap, but it only bent the aluminum more. Then I tried some vice grips, but no luck. I just ended up scraping the swing arm.

I don't plan on getting the same axle blocks either. Going to replace those on every bike I get now. Don't want to go there this again.

Any ideas on how I can cut it off without damaging the swing arm, brakes, rim and so on?

I'm thinking of trying to dremel the capture head off the axle. I think that would be the easiest and safest way to do it. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
WRXZ

WRXZ

PostSubject: Re: Axle Block Problems   Axle Block Problems EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 5:35 pm

I think it would probably be easier to cut the nut off with your dremel. I'm sure you'll end up cutting into the other block but since you're planning on replacing with aftermarket anyways no real loss. I'd cut the nut into two or thee pieces and use a chisel and hammer to knock it off the axle. I got a new axle at yamahasportsplaza.com for around $70 if I remember right.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Axle Block Problems   Axle Block Problems EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Turn the axle so the round part of its up against the axle block then put a wrench on the axle to hold it.
If you can get a impact to remove the nut its so much easier, if not get someone to hold the wrench onto the axle while you turn the nut off.

If you have to cut the axle cut straight through the nut with a hacksaw or sawsall/reciep.
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: Axle Block Problems   Axle Block Problems EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 12:14 am

actually had it happen with a brand new bike straight out the the crate. axle not in correctly when tightened at the factory. got it out with the previously mentions screwdriver trick and did a warranty claim for new part. Don't expect to get a warranty claim passed if its not brand new just out of the box, it will be deemed user error.

the part is $32 in Aus which would be alot cheaper than the Zeta ones if you can get it out without damaging the other one.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Phoenix104

Phoenix104

PostSubject: Re: Axle Block Problems   Axle Block Problems EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Ok, just finished chopping the nut off the axle Very happy Just used my dremel and a metal cutting tool and went to town. Ordering the new parts tonight. The video is kind of boring, but alas.
[img]Axle Block Problems CLxUtLR[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Axle Block Problems   Axle Block Problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Axle Block Problems
Page 1 of 1