Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ejlover

Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance Empty
PostSubject: Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance   Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi to All :)

I've just bought a 2013 WR250R and joined to the forum from Turkey ;) I need your assistance :)

Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance Tbwy3

I have to buy the necessary protections for my new bike. I need handguards, lower engine/chasis (skid plate), and brake rotor protectors. Also a soft pad (I don't know what it is called) for the handle bars' medium part.

Which brands do you suggest? Price is not a problem I prefer a good color match (for Yamaha blue) and sportive classy look ;)

I've checked GYTR, Acerbis, Zeta, Renthal, ProTaper, Flatland, MooseRacing as a beginning. But I've realized most brands have universal products (especially for handlebars-I thought that I also need those since OEM ones have been told that are too soft and being bend easily :(). Which models do you suggest?

I'll appreciate if you can state since which year 2013 chasis/body is same with the previous models? For example there are skid plates at MooseRacing till 2012, but not for 2013 :( What range of years are compatible with 2013 bikes?

Also regarding the handlebars: What will happen to OEM grips and clips of brake/clutch levers, etc. on handlebar if I purchase a 1 1/8 handle bar? Will I have a compatibility issue? What advantage does these fat bars have on OEM 7/8 bars? Should I go with 1 1/8? If so what other parts do I need to purchase with them?

Also what additional accessories do you suggest me to purchase as a beginning? Thanks ;) =D
Back to top Go down
miniceptor86

PostSubject: Re: Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance   Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi and welcome

I like the Cycra Pro Bends they mount to the upper triple clamp and the end of the bar. They are very robust. I have a Flatland Racing bash plate but like most aluminum ones it reflects a lot of engine noise that can be a little bothersome. The fat bars all taper to the standard 7/8" size at the grips so no problems with grips, clamps for mirrors, clutch perch, brake master cylinder but you will have to get the proper sized mounts for the triple clamp. I have Easton 1 3/8 bars because I found them cheap on closeout. A lot of the modding will depend on your intended use. I use mine mostly for a dirt bike so I have it geared 13/49 but run a 4.00x18 Pirelli MT43 rear which brings overall gearing a little lower than stock. I added the Athena Big Bore kit soon after I got the bike and use the Athena supplied FI module. I still have the stock seat, it works for me but I'm not riding 200 mile plus days and always find a little standing time helps in the butt department. The turn signals are prone to breakage, I eliminated the rear with a LED brake/turn signal for a WR250F and modified the stock license plate mount. I got cheap shorter front signals off eBay for a Buell Ulysses.

Jim
Back to top Go down
ejlover

PostSubject: Re: Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance   Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 7:03 am

miniceptor86 wrote:
Hi and welcome

I like the Cycra Pro Bends they mount to the upper triple clamp and the end of the bar.  They are very robust.  I have a Flatland Racing bash plate but like most aluminum ones it reflects a lot of engine noise that can be a little bothersome.  The fat bars all taper to the standard 7/8" size at the grips so no problems with grips, clamps for mirrors, clutch perch, brake master cylinder but you will have to get the proper sized mounts for the triple clamp.  I have Easton 1 3/8 bars because I found them cheap on closeout.  A lot of the modding will depend on your intended use.  I use mine mostly for a dirt bike so I have it geared 13/49 but run a 4.00x18 Pirelli MT43 rear which brings overall gearing a little lower than stock.  I added the Athena Big Bore kit soon after I got the bike and use the Athena supplied FI module.  I still have the stock seat, it works for me but I'm not riding 200 mile plus days and always find a little standing time helps in the butt department.  The turn signals are prone to breakage, I eliminated the rear with a LED brake/turn signal for a WR250F and modified the stock license plate mount.  I got cheap shorter front signals off eBay for a Buell Ulysses.

Jim
Cycra Seems to have nice products ;) Thanks Jim :) For the mount options I have to decide on the handlebars first so I can select a proper mount for the hadguards. Thx ;)

I've also changed the turn-signals ;) But performance mods will have to wait for some time ;)
Back to top Go down
hyperboarder

PostSubject: Re: Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance   Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 9:19 am

I got the Flatland skid plate and radiator guard shortly after getting the bike. Hearing rocks pinging off the skid plate on the last few rides I've taken has confirmed that this was a good decision Very happy. Easy enough install on both, the plate does reflect some noise but it doesn't bother me too much. Other than that I've just been riding mine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance   Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance Empty

Back to top Go down

Initial Things (Guards/Protectors) to Buy: Need Assistance
Page 1 of 1