Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Anyone had components rattle loose?

Go down 
+19
adub
Herkypilot
Max Pwr
jason meacham
Bob
Tammy
BluePill
SheWolf
dirtytrixx400
mwakey
CaptTurbo
jacque372
WRRSam
rokka
ZED
skierd
MeefZah
YZEtc
inspector
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Anyone had components rattle loose? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 6:01 pm

I went on my first offroad ride with my WRR this past weekend and on the second day my front brake went out. I looked down and had brake fluid all over my knee. The hose/tube connected to the master cylinder simply rattled loose and was leaking. After 20 minutes of roadside repair (bleeding the system took a long time) it was working, but it was frustrating that a dualsport had an essential component rattle free on it's first time on the dirt. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Someone had a bad day at the factory?

*Funny, i'll have to think about it. I can't think of anything coming loose right now. I have on my street bike thou.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Never had that happen to me on any of my motorcycles.

I did have the brake hose banjo bolt on the rear caliper of my 2003 Yamaha FZ-1 come loose after a rock was kicked up by the front tire, became airborne, and smacked into it.
I lost rear brake action, but tightening and bleeding returned it to normal. :)
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:35 pm

That's unusual. Never heard of a brake line banjo bolt loosening.

I have lost both seat bolts, and noticed the handlebar mount under the triple tree on the left side was loose, which is really wierd as that is a self locking nut.

I lost an aftermarket bolt off my luggage rack, too.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:35 pm

I had the nut that holds down the bracket that the airbox panel cover screws into, but other than that nada.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 11:59 pm

I've had brake calipers and mufflers a little loose when I checked them.

I've lost many bolts off the KLR. It kind of thumps itself to bits.

My Ducati likes to loose fairing bolts because they thread into a rubber mounted nut so you can't truly tighten them. When that happens while touring in out of the way places like Arco Idaho you just rob a spare metric bolt from the KLR beside you. Very happy

Currently my rear sprocket on the WRX has been coming loose. I just replaced the locknuts to see if that helps.

I had my license plate come loose and disappear on our July Motarding in the Kootenays trip. scratch

Banjo bolts are one of the very few items I don't regularly check for tightness. I'm too used to those things on antiques where you need to practice voodoo in order to get them to seal in the first place, so I don't touch them if they're not wet. eeek
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 10:58 am

Shortly after I bought the bike, I disassembled the entire bike, used anti-sieze and loc-tite, both red and blue on everything and reassemble. Havent had a problem yet...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 2:38 pm

SpaGuru, that's some dedication! I would hope nothing falls off your bike after all of that work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 9:34 pm

I do it to every bike I buy. Even the Gold Wing. Gives me a chance to lube all the pivots correctly and double check everything. The WR is made in about an hour and a half on the assembly line... Takes three hours to put together a Gold Wing. Needless to say, there is countless hours in design and development but they are all streamlined for mass production which can result in the simplest of things to come loose or have some other kind of problem... Right now I have a 1989 Kawasaki KVF400 Prairie 4x4 in a million pieces in the shop for a friend who bought it and wanted it gone over and up to "Todd Speed"...

Cant be too careful, especially something that will go 75 down the highway with my ass on it!

Besides, about the only bike that has parts fall off of it is a Hardly Ableson! poser2
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 11:34 pm

Loctight is fine until you need to take something off. Then you've got gummed up threads which are hard to torque properly, etc...

As we say in the the KLR world:
"Loctight is for amatures. Real KLR riders use zip-ties " thumb
Very happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 8:43 am

Read the bottle. Blue is easily removed and red must be heated for proper removal. Also, not using half a bottle on a fastner is helpful!

As we say in the WR world:

KLR's are for wanna-be's and WR's are the real deal.... bow
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 10:04 am

SpaGuru wrote:
KLR's are for wanna-be's and WR's are the real deal.... bow
Very happy
Good one.

Actually there is very little overlap between them. (notice I still have both)
(Oh, but I ride trails on street tires wink )
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 1:47 pm

Forgot, I also had the 27mm steering head nut come loose. Wierd, it is also a locking nut.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 1:45 am

That's a nasty one. Fortunately my WR has been good on that front. The KLR practically needs to be welded for it to stay.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 2:00 pm

ZED wrote:
The KLR practically needs to be welded for it to stay.

poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2 poser2
Back to top Go down
rokka

rokka

PostSubject: From where   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 2:33 pm

I found this screw under my bike today Anyone had components rattle loose? 490865 Where does it come from ? Is it really from my bike ? 2 letters on the head "A K "

Anyone had components rattle loose? 6sud5w

Anyone had components rattle loose? 14wgiz7

Anyone had components rattle loose? 2a61g61
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 3:15 pm

I dont think that is off the WR. Is the head metric?
Back to top Go down
rokka

rokka

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Yes its 10 mm
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 5:13 am

The bracket that holds the side cover on rattled loose but I didn't lose it as it was still attached to the side cover and the bolt (the one that came loose) that holds it on the subframe couldn't fall out as it hit the airbox.
Back to top Go down
jacque372

jacque372

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 11:32 pm

the side panel bracket has come loose on mine and i have had 3 nuts and bolts for the rear sprocket come up missing put lock nuts on them problem solved
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 11:28 am

sounds like i should check on the side panel bracket.
Back to top Go down
CaptTurbo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 6:00 pm

ZED wrote:
Loctight is fine until you need to take something off. Then you've got gummed up threads which are hard to torque properly, etc...

As we say in the the KLR world:
"Loctight is for amatures. Real KLR riders use zip-ties " Anyone had components rattle loose? 61865
Anyone had components rattle loose? 93746

Well, very few KLR guys know anything about loctite or how to use it and we all know that they are too cheap to spend the five bucks to buy it!

Just kiddin' you ZED. Hell, I ride a DR and a R² so we feel like snobs compaired to the KLR mugs. Anyone had components rattle loose? 851577
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 8:19 pm

rokka wrote:
I found this screw under my bike today Anyone had components rattle loose? 490865 Where does it come from ? Is it really from my bike ? 2 letters on the head "A K "

No way it's off the WR; I don't recall every seeing a "screw" on that bike, just bolts.
Back to top Go down
rokka

rokka

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 2:12 am

MeefZah wrote:
rokka wrote:

No way it's off the WR; I don't recall every seeing a "screw" on that bike, just bolts.

Thank good Anyone had components rattle loose? 204616
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 8:03 am

SpaGuru wrote:
Shortly after I bought the bike, I disassembled the entire bike, used anti-sieze and loc-tite, both red and blue on everything and reassemble. Havent had a problem yet...

I understand you train of thought, but I would say about 99% of the stuff I have taken off my WR already had loctite on it and was plenty tight. I haven't had anything rattle loose yet in over 6k miles. I have not disassembled the entire bike like you did, but I have had a majority of it apart at one time or another. Not many things I've found that weren't loctited or had locking nuts on them. I am very pleased with the quality of the build, even if you do say it only takes an hour to assemble at the factory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had components rattle loose?   Anyone had components rattle loose? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone had components rattle loose?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next