Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Athena BB and excessive oil consumption

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chuckP

Athena BB and excessive oil consumption Empty
PostSubject: Athena BB and excessive oil consumption   Athena BB and excessive oil consumption EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 1:59 am

I have about 16k on my Athena BB kit now.  It's consuming oil at an alarming rate.  After draining 3 or 4 tanks of fuel in backroads, it's well below even registering in the sight glass. (normally kept at mid to 3/4 high) 
There are a couple variable though.  I've been riding the WR much harder since the recent purchase of a sportbike.  
My Graves full exhaust blew up a about 3k miles ago, and since then I've been on the stock exhaust.  It was custom dyno tuned with the Graves setup, but I find it hard to believe the pipe swap is factoring in much.  Maybe slightly higher egts due to being a degree or two too aggressive on timing for the pipe?  I'm guessing the piston ring has seen better days.  Where would you all go from here?  Compression and leakdown?  Anyone else with some good miles on their BB experiencing this?
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Athena BB and excessive oil consumption   Athena BB and excessive oil consumption EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 5:52 am

I think you got you money's worth out of that 2-ring setup. Time to re-ring.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Athena BB and excessive oil consumption   Athena BB and excessive oil consumption EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 9:02 am

BuilderBob wrote:
I think you got you money's worth out of that 2-ring setup.  Time to re-ring.

WOW.. that sounds like more oil than what my GasGas XC250 2T uses!

+1 on the rings
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Athena BB and excessive oil consumption   Athena BB and excessive oil consumption EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Hopefully just rings.
I plan on changing the rings on mine atleast every 10k
I would probably tear it down and look incase I wanted to get a new piston as well.

Stock pipe will make a difference in tune.
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: Athena BB and excessive oil consumption   Athena BB and excessive oil consumption EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 8:09 pm

Get a 3 ring CP piston from Tumper racing. Same weight piston with the right amount of rings !
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Athena BB and excessive oil consumption   Athena BB and excessive oil consumption EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 4:57 am

Does anyone have a link to the thumper racing piston? I can't seem to find it by itelf. So the 280 and 290 kits share the same bore size?
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: Athena BB and excessive oil consumption   Athena BB and excessive oil consumption EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 5:10 am

No the 280 and 290 have a different bore size. I'm in the uk and had to ring TR to buy a piston. I found out about it from another thread where a guy had two Athena kits that he wanted last longer, because he didn't like the possible 15 hour run times of the Athena kit, he asked TR and they sorted some pistons. If I can get one, so can you !
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: Athena BB and excessive oil consumption   Athena BB and excessive oil consumption EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 1:12 am

Monkeynuts wrote:
No the 280 and 290 have a different bore size. I'm in the uk and had to ring TR to buy a piston. I found out about it from another thread where a guy had two Athena kits that he wanted last longer, because he didn't like the possible 15 hour run times of the Athena kit, he asked TR and they sorted some pistons. If I can get one, so can you !

I'l give them a call. Thanks. How much did they charge you?
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: Athena BB and excessive oil consumption   Athena BB and excessive oil consumption EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 7:15 am

Sorry I can't remember the cost, I'm sure that's it's not much more than the Athena piston !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Athena BB and excessive oil consumption   Athena BB and excessive oil consumption Empty

Back to top Go down

Athena BB and excessive oil consumption
Page 1 of 1