Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

error 46 while riding

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
router.exe

router.exe

error 46 while riding Empty
PostSubject: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 2:08 pm

so last night i'm cruising along, about 17 miles into my ride, and nearly home, engine warning light and error code 46 show up. i notice a definite decrease in brightness in my headlight, as well as the pulses from my heated jacket being exaggerated in the light. get home, and i try the old turn it off and on again. only it doesn't crank. i get angry relay buzzing. find out that error 46 is from low voltage to the ecu.  scratch  why am i suddenly having electrical issues. i hook the bike up to a tender for the night, and this morning it starts up and the code goes away.

right now being the cold season. my heated grips(dual stars) are on high at all times and i run my warm'n'safe 95w liner at about 2/3 power. i've had the bike since new in 2008, and this has been how i've run the bike pretty much every cold season as far as electrical accessories go. did i wind up over taxing the charging system on the bike, and did i wind up finally causing damage to it?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 9:01 pm

How old is the battery?

While the WRR stator does have enough power output to run that stuff it is not always outputing full power. The power to a degree depends on the engine rpm. When the power is not sufficient to run all that gear the power then starts coming from the battery.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 10:21 pm

original battery from 2008.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 10:36 pm

router.exe wrote:

I would start there. See if you can get it tested.

My experience is that 5 years for a battery on a motorcycle is a very long life.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 11:03 pm

rsteiger wrote:
router.exe wrote:

I would start there.  See if you can get it tested.

My experience is that 5 years for a battery on a motorcycle is a very long life.

thanks. i wasn't sure how long was too long to run a battery. i'll check in with a shop this week.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 9:55 pm

threw a new battery in the bike, and it still happened with the heated jacket on medium and the grips on high. what do i need to test my R/R and my Stator?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 9:43 pm

router.exe wrote:
threw a new battery in the bike, and it still happened with the heated jacket on medium and the grips on high.  what do i need to test my R/R and my Stator?

Do you know how many watts your jacket and grips are rated at?

Any additional lighting on the bike?

Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 10:34 pm

sorry for delay in this update. i think i have a short. the bike was losing juice just sitting for the day while i was at the office yesterday. i had put the bike on a tender before i could leave the office. i unhooked the heated grip and jacket wires from the battery. this morning it started up like new. will be leaving the office in an hour, and will hopefully have the same results of a strong start.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 2:17 pm

latest update. rode the bike wednesday night without my heated accessories. everytime i start the bike, it's a strong start. going to add back in the heated jacket for my next ride since that's the fastest short to diagnose.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 1:30 pm

3 days of sitting with no tender and the heated electrics still out of the loop, and the bike starts up just fine this morning. trying out the heated jacket today. too damn cold to ride without it.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 4:08 pm

router.exe wrote:
3 days of sitting with no tender and the heated electrics still out of the loop, and the bike starts up just fine this morning.  trying out the heated jacket today.  too damn cold to ride without it.

looks like the heated jacket is drawing too much for the charging system.

heated jacket is 90w warm'n'safe controlled with a warm'n'safe heat troller. tried both wireless and wired troller with similar results. if i wound up in any stop and go the headlight pulse was exaggerated. the indicator that the engine light was about to come on. unplug the jacket, and everything returns to somewhere near normal.

borrowing my wife's 250 today and tomorrow as another test. hers has the dual start heated grips still hooked up, which was nice this morning. this mornings ride, i didn't see any of the symptoms my 250 was exhibiting.

according to dual star site, teh grips draw 36W on high.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 8:52 pm

The Stator is rated at 350W at 5000 RPM.

I borrowed a friends Gerbing jacket and some heated gloves once on my WRR and it seem to do fine.  I think the Jacket was rated at 90W but I am not sure about the gloves. I was not running the jacket very high but I did shut it of when I was going around town since I was getting too hot.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 9:11 pm

i've run the jacket and grip combo every winter since i bought the bike in 2008. it may be that it really is too much. i found some how-to's for basic tests of the stator and r/r. i'm going to pull the case cover off this weekend and do a visual inspection as well of the stator.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 12:50 pm

error 46 while riding Wp_20110

found my problem.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 6:31 am

#1) For the ignorant (me specifically) - can you explain what the problem is? What the picture shows? Is something jumping out at me that I'm missing?  dunno  Shog 

#2) Your avatar is now a perfect choice for your situation.....from where I sit.  eeek 

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 8:03 am

I'm guessing fried stator from powering lots of electric accessories.
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 12:11 pm

YZEtc wrote:
I'm guessing fried stator from powering lots of electric accessories.

this
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 12:13 pm

error 46 while riding Wp_20111

here's what it should look like.  this is what i replaced it with.  

fun facts:

1) a brand new one from yamaha is $171
2) to get on rewound is between $145 and $200
3) i got a used one off ebay for about $80
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 12:55 pm

The stator on these bikes are putting out full power all the time. Granted 'full power' depends on the engine RPM too.

Any excess power is shunted to ground by the Regulator/Rectifier. This is a lot different than say a charging system on a car where the field current is varied to control the output of the alternator.

So if you are running a lot of extra accessories one could argue that you are extending the life of your R/R.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: error 46 while riding   error 46 while riding Empty

Back to top Go down

error 46 while riding
Page 1 of 1