Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What to do/change/replace after storage

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cloudbuster

What to do/change/replace after storage Empty
PostSubject: What to do/change/replace after storage   What to do/change/replace after storage EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi due to outstanding circumstances I could not ride for a few months 4+ and left the bike inside the shed.
Now im ready to ride again, what would I need to change as far as fluid or what not.

Should I add Sta-bil fuel Stabilizer
http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/
they have two should I add the Storage one even that is after the storage or the Protection one?
The Oil have before storage about 400miles, filter same?
Battery? what is the minimum CCA, Amp Hours to buy. Im pretty sure I would have to just get a new one for peace of mind.

Anything else I should do?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: What to do/change/replace after storage   What to do/change/replace after storage EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Four months is really not THAT long for a bike to sit.  If the battery was not on a charger, you probably want to at least trickle charge it for a day or so.  If it won't charge up, yes you'll have to replace it.  The fluids should be fine, if they were ok beforehand.  I wouldn't change the oil if it was changed 400 miles ago, unless you are really anal about it.  I would look in the airbox to make sure no critters have taken up residence in there, pump the forks a few times to look for seals leaking.

Nothing wrong with adding a bit of Sta-bil to the fuel.  I use Sta-bil, but usually -before- I put something in storage.  If you want to put something in the fuel to help clean the injector etc, Techron FI cleaner works very well.  Put in fresh fuel and a few good dollops of the Techron, and go riding!
Back to top Go down
cloudbuster

PostSubject: Re: What to do/change/replace after storage   What to do/change/replace after storage EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 4:31 pm

thanks for quick reply.
I just calculated better the time is been in storage it closer to 6 / 6.5 months that why I put the 4+ month
In this case then I will keep using the same oil.
I will look in the air box, and pump the forks in search of a leak.

I just came back from my local auto zone

I saw the following fuel additive
Pro Guard fuel injector cleaner
Techron fuel system cleaner
Sta-Bil ethanol treatment
Lucas Oil fuel treatment

It seem that they all mention they can clean the injector

So from those you say to get the Techron fuel system cleaner or they have a specific FI cleaner I dint saw that one.
Or just mix 2 of them?

I will be ordering this charger as I dont have one.
MS1000 Battery Charger

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: What to do/change/replace after storage   What to do/change/replace after storage EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 9:01 pm

I like the Techron. It can be used in carbureted and FI systems. I've just had good results with it, clearing out engines on bikes and other vehicles/tools that have been sitting for a while. Also, quite a few of my motofriends and acquaintances have had good results with it as well.
Back to top Go down
rc23

rc23

PostSubject: Re: What to do/change/replace after storage   What to do/change/replace after storage EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 9:55 am

I leave all of my bikes on trickle chargers through the winter - regardless, your battery should be fine. As long as its not bad the charging system should get it back to normal after some normal riding.
Personally I would drain the gas and chuck it but Stabil works. Anyone running anything with a carb will understand why - gasoline is disgusting these days with all the additives and clogs jets like you wouldn't believe. I store my pit bikes(Honda Ruckus') with no fuel in them for this reason. Its just cheap insurance.

I change the oil in all my bikes at the beginning of the season as well - don't need to change filter.

Then again, I change oil after every race weekend/trackday so I'm used to the routine. Its overkill but again, cheap insurance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do/change/replace after storage   What to do/change/replace after storage Empty

Back to top Go down

What to do/change/replace after storage
Page 1 of 1