Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Steering damper

Go down 
+4
sturgeon
rsteiger
4play
BuilderBob
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 6:02 pm

Anyone have one on their WR?

My first real off-road adventure last weekend revealed a very twitchy front end in the lose sugar sand we have here. Thinking that a damper will tame that quite a bit.

If you have one, what are your impressions? What kind? Cost? Where to buy?
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 9:29 pm

While I do not have one on the WRR yet, I have had Scott's on every other AZ bike I've owned & I believe they are the standard that all of the others are trying to equal.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 9:45 pm

I have a Scotts Underbar mount on mine. No hard proof but I think it made it a bit easier to ride in the sand.. either that or I got better about riding in the sand.

Will be putting one on the Beta soon.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 11:21 am

Put a GPR on mine a couple of years ago (good price on a group buy at the time), and I actually like it better than the Scotts I have on my F800GS. It certainly helps me in very loose sand or bouldery conditions where my riding skills suck big-time.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 1:07 pm

I have a Scotts damper and while it does help a bit in the sand, it'd not going to make everything magical. This bike is not great in the sand.

Where the damper shines though is on rocks and roots where you would normally get a severe deflection. Tracks through / over them much better.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 2:42 pm

Stand in the Sand
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 2:52 pm

I live in AZ so riding in deep sand is a given, other than having a bit less power, I thought the R2 handled better in the sand than my KTM450 and it has a stabilzer.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 4:50 pm

Chrispy1200 wrote:
I have a Scotts damper and while it does help a bit in the sand, it'd not going to make everything magical. This bike is not great in the sand.  

Where the damper shines though is on rocks and roots where you would normally get a severe deflection. Tracks through / over them much better.    

So far I like how the WRR handles in the sand we have in South GA and FL.

My Beta while more nimble in the woods was a bit more of a handful at the Polar Bear Rally in FL a couple of weeks ago. Nothing major bad with it but I just had to keep on top of it more. The WRR I pretty much just point in a direction and go.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 9:33 am

I know it's apples to oranges as far as bikes go, but I got to ride my friend's KTM 450 EXC when we were out last weekend. He has a Scott damper on his. It was much less willing to follow the ruts in the sand than mine was at the same speed. Really liked the way it handled. Really liked the KTM too!

Think I'm going to save my pennies and get a damper. Good thing is that I can transfer it to another bike if I ever upgrade from the WR.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 12:20 pm

rsteiger wrote:
So far I like how the WRR handles in the sand we have in South GA and FL.

The sand around here is heavy / wet, if that's a good way to describe it. Maybe the lighter / drier sand makes a difference ? scratch 
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 12:24 pm

BuilderBob wrote:
Think I'm going to save my pennies and get a damper.  Good thing is that I can transfer it to another bike if I ever upgrade from the WR.

Keep in mind the Scotts dampers come in two flavors, road and off road. The road version damps in both directions while the off road version dampens in only one. Depending on what that next bike might be could affect your decision on which one to get.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 12:38 pm

Chrispy1200 wrote:
BuilderBob wrote:
Think I'm going to save my pennies and get a damper.  Good thing is that I can transfer it to another bike if I ever upgrade from the WR.

Keep in mind the Scotts dampers come in two flavors, road and off road. The road version damps in both directions while the off road version dampens in only one. Depending on what that next bike might be could affect your decision on which one to get.
Oh, it would definitely be another off-road bike. The KTM 500 EXC is mighty tempting. I'll have to get a lot better on the WR before I'd make that move though. I think a damper and suspension work on the WR will hold me over for quite a while.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 12:55 pm

If anyone's interested in a sort-of non-answer to the on-road vs off-road question:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2038182&postcount=1
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 1:06 pm

sturgeon wrote:
If anyone's interested in a sort-of non-answer to the on-road vs off-road question:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2038182&postcount=1
Great info. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 6:36 pm

Well, I ordered the Scotts damper. Big $$$, but from what I can tell, it will make quite a difference off-road. Should be here in time to try it out this weekend. Also have new Pro Taper bars to install.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 7:13 pm

BuilderBob wrote:
Well, I ordered the Scotts damper.  Big $$$, but from what I can tell, it will make quite a difference off-road.  Should be here in time to try it out this weekend.  Also have new Pro Taper bars to install.

Please keep us informed. Especially re; sand surfing.
Back to top Go down
mvonhatten

mvonhatten

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 8:24 pm

The low end torque on the KTM 450 you rode was probably what made the biggest difference in the sand. I went from a RM 125, to a CRF450r and it just felt so much better through the loose stuff. A steering damper is a great piece of hardware, regardless of the intentions. It can fix mistakes and prevent you from deflecting into a tree on really rough single track. I hear they help with fatigue on longer loops/track days. Please post pics :)
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 pm

mvonhatten wrote:
The low end torque on the KTM 450 you rode was probably what made the biggest difference in the sand. I went from a RM 125, to a CRF450r and it just felt so much better through the loose stuff. A steering damper is a great piece of hardware, regardless of the intentions.  It can fix mistakes and prevent you from deflecting into a tree on really rough single track.  I hear they help with fatigue on longer loops/track days.  Please post pics :)

Appreciate your input.

I realize that comparing the KTM's performance to the WR is a bit of a stretch.  It has more power and is more purpose built than the WR, but mine is no slouch.  280 kit and all of the mods necessary to make that work give it quite a bit more zip than the average WR.  It has plenty down low.  Not as much as the mighty KTM, but it does rather well.

So, maybe some of the wallowing is due to less torque in the lower RPM range, but I don't think it accounts for much.  I wasn't pushing the KTM that hard, being unfamiliar with it.  It was just more stable in the loose stuff, and that I attribute mostly to the damper.

Of course, it's all speculation at this point.  I'll post my real world impressions after the install and trial run.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 7:18 pm

Got the damper installed today. Between interruptions and looking for that damn tool THAT I JUST HAD IN MY HAND, it took longer than I thought it would. Got it on though.

Steering damper Damper

Also installed some solid mounts for the Zeta hand guards. They keep the guards from wanting to turn when they hit something.

Steering damper Handguard%20mount

And, because the Zeta solid mounts preclude the use of the stock front turn signals, I finally installed the LED signals that I bought for the Zeta handguards 3 years ago. They're pretty sharp.

Steering damper Zeta%20signal

Hope to test out the new damper this weekend.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 am

Looks good  thumb 
I might have to pick up some of those handgaurd mounts...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steering damper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering damper   Steering damper Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering damper
Page 1 of 1