Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New Paint =D

Go down 
+4
bigg
motokid
YZEtc
Phoenix104
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Phoenix104

Phoenix104

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: New Paint =D   New Paint =D EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 12:25 am

So I've been wanting to paint my WR for a while now and there was finally a nice day to start. So I took all my panels and got most primed and ready. I originally didn't have a design in mind, figured i'd photoshop some thoughts while the primer was drying. So once my can of primer ran out of paint, I start doodling some ideas. First thought was a Blue/Orange/White racing design. Didn't really like that too much and started to brain storm.

New Paint =D Parts10

After some joking with my roommate about how the panels look like model airplane parts, I thought, "What about a P-51 paint scheme?" Doodled it up and liked it. After some thought though, I didn't feel a P-51 paint scheme fit the WR very well.

New Paint =D P51wr211

So then whats the next best thing?  How about a Mitsubishi Zero! Perfect!

New Paint =D Zerowr10

So hopefully the weather holds out a bit longer so i can get it all painted up and ready. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Paint =D   New Paint =D EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 6:04 am

Gross and gross.
It would look better leaving it all white as in the top pic.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Paint =D   New Paint =D EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 6:31 am

Wow....beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

puke 

I do like that you're trying to be different though.....  thumb 

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Paint =D   New Paint =D EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 8:05 am

Come on guys cut him some slack!

I'm sure they'd look much better in flesh... if you're high  afro 

in all seriousness though if I had to chose I'd go with the second design. I quite like the red dot on the side panels, but I'd prefer the rest all white or black
Back to top Go down
Gath3r13

Gath3r13

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Paint =D   New Paint =D EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 10:38 am

Did I enter the "Ugliest WRR" thread by mistake!?!?

Just kidding Pheonix104... But I would go back to the color wheel, if it were me. :)

Back to top Go down
Torontorocko

Torontorocko

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Paint =D   New Paint =D EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 11:30 am

WOW!!!
*and not in a good way.
Back to top Go down
rocketjump

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Paint =D   New Paint =D EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 3:39 pm

You can be #02!

New Paint =D JPbikerough_zps72814e6d

New Paint =D 20140222_095619_zpsa817bf24
Back to top Go down
camaroz1985

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Paint =D   New Paint =D EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 4:17 pm

That Jurassic park paint is really cool!!!
Back to top Go down
Phoenix104

Phoenix104

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Paint =D   New Paint =D EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Wow... Such negativity... Oh well. I do really like that JP paint job. I think I might just make number 2 ; )

My roommate said I should paint my wangler up all Jurassic Park style too. Which I just might do. That way my damaged panels look like Dion's tried to eat it xD
Back to top Go down
rocketjump

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Paint =D   New Paint =D EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 7:01 pm

Phoenix104 wrote:
Wow... Such negativity... Oh well. I do really like that JP paint job. I think I might just make number 2 ; )

My roommate said I should paint my wangler up all Jurassic Park style too. Which I just might do. That way my damaged panels look like Dion's tried to eat it xD

The color pallet on #1 is strange - the OD green clashes with the banana yellow, and the isolated colors look very disjointed, like a junkyard special.  Not sure what you're going for with the netting pattern either, but it doesn't go well with the bold stripes just below it. (Edit: looked up the P-51 and I get it now. A checkerboard pattern might look neat, or it might come out really weird. Aircraft have more leeway with odd paint schemes because they're even cooler than bikes.)  I would say ditch the blue seat for sure, and if you got a drab red instead of the yellow it might all go together better (I notice your pallet sample sort of groups the red/green/gray separate from the yellow/black...the r/g/g looks good together!).  I would also drop some green onto the fender, because I can say from experience that it looks a little odd when the headlight and fender have zero matching colors.

The Mitsu looks better, but again the blue seat has got to go (SeatConcepts makes a great seat!).  I do encourage outside thinking to color schemes, because everyone has seen blacked-out or two-tone bikes, but those are popular for a reason.  When you add too many colors and don't spread them in a visually appealing way, the majority of responses will be bad.  I would suggest going with a dark upper and light lower scheme if you really want to emulate the Zero!

A big part of the reason for the negative feedback is that the PS job is obviously pretty rushed. My MSpaint job probably took longer and came out a little more consistent, which helps make a good first impression.  The WRR is hard to work with too, with its' silver frame and gold forks.  Right away that clashes with a lot of paint schemes.  You could look into vinyl wrapping the forks or something.

Speaking of which, after rocking the JP paint for a few months, I learned why dirt bikes get vinyl wraps instead of paint jobs for a reason.  The Krylon Fusion I used is not very flexible, and my front fender and shrouds have paint cracking off all over the place from going down and smashing into trees and what not.  I don't mind, since it is a dirt bike and I like it looking rugged, but it's something to watch out for.  I wouldn't spend the money for flexible automotive paint because touching up now and then isn't a big deal.

Good luck, do whatever makes you happy!
Back to top Go down
Phoenix104

Phoenix104

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Paint =D   New Paint =D EmptyWed May 14, 2014 8:12 pm

So it took a while to get it painted. My apartment complex wanted to tow my bike for a while, so that took some ironing out. Then it rain for weeks straight. But finally! I got it painted. I ended up going with just white.
New Paint =D Img_2010

Annnddd to celebrate, I turned my moms yard into a track!

New Paint =D 13977710

I also crashed and scraped some of the paint off xD That's when I realized painting a dirt bike wasn't a good idea since I'm likely to scratch it more.

But stickers! I can use those, right? So yesterday my roommate gave me a sticker bomb sheet. So I sticker bombed a few panels of the bike.

New Paint =D Img_2011
New Paint =D Img_2012

I really like it, I think it fits the bike pretty well. Japanese bike, with a bunch of Japanese stickers covering it.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Paint =D   New Paint =D EmptySat May 17, 2014 8:54 am

Must say I like it much better than your original design  thumb 

I find the white side panels a pita to keep clean. I've given up on it actually, but hey, it's called a dirt bike for a reason  Very happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Paint =D Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Paint =D   New Paint =D Empty

Back to top Go down

New Paint =D
Page 1 of 1