Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cheapest GPS w/ route planning capability?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Skithis

Cheapest GPS w/ route planning capability? Empty
PostSubject: Cheapest GPS w/ route planning capability?   Cheapest GPS w/ route planning capability? EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 8:00 pm

I have an old magelin GPS that I use now and it works great, however, I would like to be able to plan a route on a road and transfer it to the gps to follow. What are some of the lower end units that allow this?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

Cheapest GPS w/ route planning capability? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheapest GPS w/ route planning capability?   Cheapest GPS w/ route planning capability? EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Depends what you want to do with it I guess.

I picked up a Nuvi 500 for my Strom some time ago and I think I paid less than $200 for it. The unit is waterproof/resistant and has been in plenty of rainstorms with me over the last 3 or 4 years. However it does have it's limitations.

First is the use of a USB connection for power. These are not the most robust connectors and over time I've had to replace the power line a couple of times. The second is the fact that Garmin has some unique wiring on their USB wires which requires you to buy one of those type wires or else the unit tends to go into a program mode like it is hooked up to a computer.

Second the unit does not support tracks. It will take tracks and turn them into routes which is actually sort of nice unless the map that you have loaded on the unit does not show a road to be in the area where the tracks are going - like in most off road situations.

Overall I like the unit and still use it today.

Recently I purchased a Garmin Montana that does away with the Track limitations of the Nuvi and has a cradle type mount for a motorcycle that provides a much more robust power connection. The other nice thing about the Montana is you have the options of using batteries with the unit if you don't have a way to recharge it during your ride.

I use the Montana on my WRR and am in the process of wiring a cradle up on my Beta for the unit as well. For now I use the Nuvi on my Strom but eventually I will be switching that over to the Montana as well.
Back to top Go down

Cheapest GPS w/ route planning capability?
Page 1 of 1