Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?

Go down 
+6
Harp
theMISSIONARY
rsteiger
rvsixer
LordEndo
jswr450
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jswr450

Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? Empty
PostSubject: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to need some new tires here in a little bit.

What's the best tire that works well in the dirt but also lasts when ridden on the road? D606s? I've heard the Pirelli Scorpion XC MHs are great in the dirt, but that they don't last long on the street.

I like to ride mostly dirt, but end up riding on the street quite a bit to get to the dirt, and I don't want to be buying tires every 1000 miles.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 7:59 pm

D606's or MT21's in my opinion.  The MT21's are great until about 1/2 tread - I think the D606's are the same.  I put on Scorpion XCMS front and rear for the winter season and bought some supermoto wheels for the road in the summer.  Probably will still end up with some MT21's again for the summer season.......sigh......it never ends......

There is a Scorpion tire that is DOT rated (the F.I.M. tire?) or I'm curious about the yellow stripe stone eaters from Mitas. They look great and several guys out my way run them in the heavy slop and street.
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 8:41 pm

jswr450 wrote:
..and I don't want to be buying tires every 1000 miles.
I ride 90% dirt, and have found 2000 miles for the front and 1000 miles for the rear to be the norm (currently running Michelin T63 both front and rear, and will probably replace with same I love these on the WR).  Anything that lasts longer, I suspect would be crap for traction.
Back to top Go down
jswr450

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 9:18 pm

rvsixer wrote:
jswr450 wrote:
..and I don't want to be buying tires every 1000 miles.
I ride 90% dirt, and have found 2000 miles for the front and 1000 miles for the rear to be the norm (currently running Michelin T63 both front and rear, and will probably replace with same I love these on the WR).  Anything that lasts longer, I suspect would be crap for traction.

That's what I was afraid of...I guess I'll just get good dirt tires and get good at changing them myself to save some money.
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 9:23 pm

jswr450 wrote:
That's what I was afraid of...I guess I'll just get good dirt tires and get good at changing them myself to save some money.
Changing tires is easy with the right technique(s). IMHO unless you are self-insured and or don't ride on the street, use DOT tires.
Back to top Go down
jswr450

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 pm

rvsixer wrote:
jswr450 wrote:
Changing tires is easy with the right technique(s).  IMHO unless you are self-insured and or don't ride on the street, use DOT tires.

Yeah, I totally agree. I meant a good DOT approved dirt tire. I do everything by the book these days so I always stay on the good side of the forest rangers and CHP. I want to be safe, and I can't afford tickets.

I'm thinking D606 will be the way to go. I heard they last quite a bit longer than the MT21s....too many good options, what a problem
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 10:57 pm

This is interesting since when I am not on a DS ride I am riding my WRR around town and chewing up knobs doing so.

So I bought an extra set of wheels that I put some Shinko 705's on for around town riding.  Then for the DS rides I put on some DOT knobs on the stock wheels - right now I am trying out the Kenda Trackmaster II's.  They look aggressive and cost a lot less than the MT21 and D606.

As far as changing tires goes, the right tools and technique goes a long way to making this more manageable and less time consuming.  When I changed my first set of tires it seemed to take the afternoon.  When I replaced my worn MT21 and 606 from my WRR last time it took me about 30 minutes from start to finish... which made me wonder why I bought the spare set of wheels.
Back to top Go down
theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 8:13 am

AC-10 front fan here i get over 13000km on a front thumb
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 5:47 pm

theMISSIONARY wrote:
That's incredible.  The AC10 is softer than my T63, yet lasting four times longer even with street use bow  .  Pictures of bike, odo, and tire treads please!
Back to top Go down
theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 3:20 am

rvsixer wrote:
theMISSIONARY wrote:
That's incredible.  The AC10 is softer than my T63, yet lasting four times longer even with street use bow  .  Pictures of bike, odo, and tire treads please!

ok ill start with some worn out tyres...D606's from my WRr

Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? IMG_20140410_170431_zpsd6c45d67

AC-10's and a Mt21

Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? IMG_20140410_170419_zps31af95d4

current AC-10 with about 1000km
Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? 18768142-3faa-482b-9940-ad14c5d54b62_zpsac6a7584

my current odo reading

Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? IMG_20140410_170243_zps2ab680a9

I have worn out a T63 rear as well and a MT21 rear....they dont seem to last or have the traction of the D606
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Wow you ride a lot !!!  Okay thanks for posting those pics really appreciate it, now I believe, I might just have to try an AC10 next time.  I'm still baffled how a Michelin 90% dirt/10% street rated tire can outlast a Michelin 50%/50% rated tire, and especially by a factor of 4  :hmmm: .
Back to top Go down
theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 4:15 pm

funny scratch  i've Never had a front wear out in less than 6000km's on any bike......rears yes but not front

really rocky where you are?
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 4:35 pm

theMISSIONARY wrote:
really rocky where you are?
And most of it loose sharp edged nasty stuff  GAHHHH  .
Back to top Go down
theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 5:18 am

might be the rocks mate......more mud than rock here Very happy
Back to top Go down
Harp

PostSubject: Lasting tires   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 pm

Hear the new Mitas are all the rave. Good traction and longest lasting. Ac-10's were awesome on pavement, but don't last. Going to give the Mitas C-16 a try.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 5:20 am

Best dirt tire that also lasts on the road?
Still looking... ;)
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 am

Dunlop D606 rears last forever for me, usually get 5000ish miles each but have gotten upwards of 7000 (with cords showing).

Still looking for a good enough front...

Back to top Go down
ezrdr55

ezrdr55

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 8:19 am

Shinko 244s or Kenda K270s are on my short list of replacement tires.   :hmmm:
Back to top Go down
Torontorocko

Torontorocko

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 9:59 am

ezrdr55 wrote:

And you can buy 2 kenda's for the price of one of the 606's  Very happy 
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Torontorocko wrote:
ezrdr55 wrote:

I thought the same thing when I set out on the TaT. Went with the 244's (Kenda 270 knock offs) then we hit that long stretch of mud road. In the middle of that ordeal I was wondering why I was so cheap with my tire selection for the ride.  lol! 

But for around town and lots of pavement I would say the Kenda 270 and Shinko 244's would be tough to beat.
Back to top Go down
Torontorocko

Torontorocko

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 1:53 pm

rsteiger wrote:
Torontorocko wrote:
ezrdr55 wrote:

I thought the same thing when I set out on the TaT.  Went with the 244's (Kenda 270 knock offs) then we hit that long stretch of mud road.  In the middle of that ordeal I was wondering why I was so cheap with my tire selection for the ride.   lol! 

But for around town and lots of pavement I would say the Kenda 270 and Shinko 244's would be tough to beat.

Yup, I put a better knobby on when I go for a good off road day-weekend tour. Just use the K270 to melt on the roads for my commute.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?   Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Dirt Tire that also lasts on the road?
Page 1 of 1