Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New "graphics" on my X

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dmmcd

dmmcd

New "graphics" on my X Empty
PostSubject: New "graphics" on my X   New "graphics" on my X EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 8:54 am

I have been wanting to get new shroud graphics for my bike, but couldn't find the right ones. I didn't feel like paying close to $100 for some stickers, either. I painted some stripes on my fenders a little while back (https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t9776-some-personalization-of-my-wrx) and had some paint left over. So I decided to make my own shroud graphics!

I started by removing the stock stickers. Clean slate, blank canvas, whatever you want to call it:
New "graphics" on my X 20140419_151208

After much taping, masking, etc., I used the same Valspar plastic paint as the stripes on the fenders and put a white stripe on the shroud:
New "graphics" on my X 20140419_184444

I got some adhesive Scotchlite 680 material from eBay, which I had used previously on my helmet. This stuff is really cool, it is black under normal light, but when something shines on it, it becomes super-reflective. It cost $4.95 for 5 strips, roughly 3 1/2" x 9" each.

After much cutting, trimming, cursing, trimming, cursing, trimming, crying, trimming, here is what I ended up with.
New "graphics" on my X 20140426_164314

I had some of the reflective yellow pinstripe left over from the fenders, also. Add that to the mix, and I think it turned out really well.
New "graphics" on my X 20140426_165102

Here it is with the phone flash on to get an idea of the reflectivity of this stuff:
New "graphics" on my X 20140426_165113

I am happy with it. I didn't sand the paint smooth first, and I painted outdoors on a breezy day, so there are some little dimples and bubbles in the vinyl, but it looks good from 2 feet away. Not too bad for $4.95 investment and a Saturday afternoon.
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: New "graphics" on my X   New "graphics" on my X EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Wow, that looks great! Very impressive work.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: New "graphics" on my X   New "graphics" on my X EmptyFri May 09, 2014 10:28 am

I finished the other side and added a bit more to the graphics. Any fellow Dark Tower fans?

New "graphics" on my X 20140509_090447

New "graphics" on my X 20140509_090505

New "graphics" on my X 20140509_090421
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New "graphics" on my X   New "graphics" on my X Empty

Back to top Go down

New "graphics" on my X
Page 1 of 1