Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool

Go down 
+10
blusmoke
keetmanaa
pfy50
4play
Old Rider
Caldsy
Dogen
YZEtc
gatorfan
Biglake
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
keetmanaa

Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool Empty
PostSubject: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Motorcycle Consumer News reviewed this in their latest edition and I wondered if anyone here has used it successfully.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 8:35 pm

I want one!

I havent sen it in person but theres a good review in dirt wheels mag plus youtube vids of how it works.
Back to top Go down
keetmanaa

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 9:40 pm

I'm ready to order but I haven't yet been able to get a fix on the axle sizes on the WR250R without pulling the axles to mic them.
My guess is 17mm front, 20mm rear.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 8:10 pm

I watched the video on their website. Nice contraption.  They should have shot a studio vid so you can see it better instead of pretending they got a flat somewhere.

Seriously?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm

I haven't used one, but have seen the tool in person.
Works like a rack and pinion, and seems pretty simple.

It's called the Baja No Pinch, not Baja Designs, by the way.
Back to top Go down
keetmanaa

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 9:24 pm

YZEtc wrote:

It's called the Baja No Pinch, not Baja Designs, by the way.

Baja Designs is the name of the company that makes the tool
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 7:27 am

Nah.
I spoke with Baja Designs, the guys famous for making the Dual Sport Kits and lighting for motorcycles and electrical stuff like that.
It's another company, altogether, that coincidentally uses the word "Baja".
Back to top Go down
keetmanaa

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 12:42 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Nah.
I spoke with Baja Designs, the guys famous for making the Dual Sport Kits and lighting for motorcycles and electrical stuff like that.
It's another company, altogether, that coincidentally uses the word "Baja".

Baja Designs needs to get hold of Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) and have them print a correction. They attribute the No Pinch Tire Tool to Baja Designs, not just once but five times, including the front and back covers
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 5:14 pm

I'll second that one in that case.
Back to top Go down
keetmanaa

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 11:28 am

Well, I ordered one in 20mm with a 17mm secondary. I think those are the correct sizes for  the WR250R.
Back to top Go down
Dogen

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 12:37 am

So were the sizes right?
I saw a post on ADVrider saying the front axle is 16 mm diameter.
Back to top Go down
keetmanaa

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 8:11 am

I haven't pulled the axles yet, hoping to get a few more miles out of the tires before changing them out.
Where did you see the axle size mentioned on ADVrider? I searched a few times but never got a hit.
Back to top Go down
Dogen

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 9:16 am

keetmanaa wrote:
I haven't pulled the axles yet, hoping to get a few more miles out of the tires before changing them out.
Where did you see the axle size mentioned on ADVrider? I searched a few times but never got a hit.

Turns out the post was from the Cafe Husky forum - link below. Post # 22
http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/great-tool-for-tire-installation.26929/page-2

Please post your experience when you end up changing the front tire.
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 10:31 am

Has anyone confirmed if the rear axle sleeve is in fact a 20mm?
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 2:26 pm

I sent an email to them asking if they are able to make a 16mm (as previously read on ADVrider) and they replied saying the 15mm would be ok and that little bit of wiggle room wouldn't damage the axle.

Just a heads up. I'm ordering Mitas tires and was seriously considering this.

If anyone has experience with this tool (specifically the 15mm insert) please post up your findings. Thanks.

Merry Christmas
Back to top Go down
Old Rider

Old Rider

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Caldsy wrote:
I sent an email to them asking if they are able to make a 16mm (as previously read on ADVrider) and they replied saying the 15mm would be ok and that little bit of wiggle room wouldn't damage the axle.

Just a heads up. I'm ordering Mitas tires and was seriously considering this.

If anyone has experience with this tool (specifically the 15mm insert) please post up your findings. Thanks.

Merry Christmas

Why do you need this?  My front axle is 17mm and the tool stem fits perfectly.  I read the post on the Husky forum.  Someone does not know how to measure!
Back to top Go down
keetmanaa

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 4:34 pm

Old Rider wrote:

My front axle is 17mm and the tool stem fits perfectly.

Good to hear from someone with actual experience. I have the 17mm but haven't used it yet as my tires have some miles left in them
Back to top Go down
Old Rider

Old Rider

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 4:43 pm

I have not measured the rear yet. No reason to remove the back wheel yet. The front is off as I am repairing a leaky fork seal.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 11:02 am

I like the ingenuity & it is a cool tool. Since it can only help install a tire, it is not very practical to have to get out & set up another tool when your trusty spoons are already out from removing the tire. IMHO if your learn how to properly use spoons, it will take longer to mess with the cute little gadget than to go ahead & install the tire with the spoons that are already there. How likely is anyone on a 250 going to carry both this & spoons on the trail? a KLR rider might, he'd never know the difference.
Back to top Go down
keetmanaa

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 10:04 am

4play wrote:
if your learn how to properly use spoons, it  will take longer to mess with the cute little gadget  
True, if all goes well, but if it avoids a pinched tube the overall time and hassle could be much less
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 10:19 am

keetmanaa wrote:
4play wrote:
if your learn how to properly use spoons, it  will take longer to mess with the cute little gadget  
True, if all goes well, but if it avoids a pinched tube the overall time and hassle could be much less

If you learn to properly use spoons, you will never pinch a tube. For people that explore, it's a skill that needs to be learned & prepared for.

Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 10:18 pm

I've changed a lot of tires and still pinch a tube once in a while, some tires and slightly too big for the tire used tubes are a pita, some are easy.

I want to pick up one of these by spring, I need to change 1/2 a dozen tires this spring on mine and my friends bikes when its time to take the studded tires off. If it makes it a bit easier to change a tire then its worth the money to me.

Its not some thing you will carry with you on trips, its just nice to have in the garage, kinda like air tools, you dont ever need them but they're nice to have.
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 12:37 pm

keetmanaa wrote:
I'm ready to order but I haven't yet been able to get a fix on the axle sizes on the WR250R without pulling the axles to mic them.
My guess is  17mm front, 20mm rear.

Actually, Caliper measured is 17mm front; 22mm rear.

ps. I e-mail Baja no-pinch to see if he will make a 22mm sleeve to go over the 17mm shaft for the WRR

Got e-mail back, they said they can't accommodate every size right now, but they said the 20mm shaft can be used in the 22mm axel with a small amount of play won't effect the tire work.
wings
Back to top Go down
keetmanaa

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 10:46 am

pfy50 wrote:
keetmanaa wrote:
My guess is  17mm front, 20mm rear.

Actually, Caliper measured is 17mm front; 22mm rear.

ps. I e-mail Baja no-pinch to see if he will make a 22mm sleeve to go over the 17mm shaft for the WRR

Got e-mail back, they said they can't accommodate every size right now, but they said the 20mm shaft can be used in the 22mm axel with a small amount of play won't effect the tire work.
wings

The 20mm shaft seem to have too much play in the bearings but I may have to give it a go as I'm mounting the new rear this weekend. I wonder if a piece of thin aluminum sheet, cut and formed to fit around the length of the 20mm shaft would help.
Back to top Go down
keetmanaa

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Just to follow up, I used the tool to mount both front and rear tires (Michelin T63's). On the rear, my first try, it worked okay but I suggest not using too much tire mounting lube, as the tool would slip and had to be held down on the bead on the last few bead sets. Using the 20mm post in the 22mm bearings didn't pose a problem.
The front tire was a piece of cake. The final bead setting went very smoothly. Needless to say no pinched tubes either tire.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool   Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool Empty

Back to top Go down

Baja Design No Pinch Tire Tool
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next