Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

new member from montana question

Go down 
+6
orionswarrior
rsteiger
rarepartbuilder
Fiftygrit
Evol
mcdoudlehopper
10 posters
AuthorMessage
orionswarrior

orionswarrior

new member from montana question Empty
PostSubject: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 8:46 pm

I everyone, I just picked up a 2013 wr250r for a good price. Thing is I only ride off road. Is there any reason I shouldn't or couldn't remove the tail light and directionals?
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 9:45 pm

Nope, they do have kits that will take the big ugly one off and even have LED turn signals if you need them, I have seen a few home made tail light brackets that look great.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 11:28 pm

I would remove the whole tail and make an angle bracket to mount the tail light only. Would be nice to have brake light if following you. IMO
new member from montana question 09610
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyFri Jan 30, 2015 11:59 pm

Depends if you want shit all over your back or not.

Put one of those small tail light kits on mine and pulled the humongous rear fender. After cleaning myself up after every mud bath I put it back on.

Life has been good since.
Back to top Go down
orionswarrior

orionswarrior

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 12:57 am

rsteiger wrote:
Depends if you want shit all over your back or not.

Put one of those small tail light kits on mine and pulled the humongous rear fender.  After cleaning myself up after every mud bath I put it back on.

Life has been good since.

That makes sense. I figured if I take the lights off, that's one less thing to break. I will post a pic when I figure out how scratch
Back to top Go down
orionswarrior

orionswarrior

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 1:19 am

This is my 2013 wr250r:

new member from montana question LUI0Bi
new member from montana question 6Khpsn
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 11:24 am

never got mud on my back and don't even see how possible. If your on the seat and turn around you cant see the tire so how is it gonna fling mud on you?
new member from montana question Th10
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 11:31 am

Obviously not riding fast enough, allowing the mud to catch you. A shortened front fender on the other hand.....
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 1:29 pm

I left mine stock, im old I dont go through mud very fast hahaha sometimes I dont even make it all the way through.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 5:28 pm

It seems that a lot of folks removing the back fender have the license plate sticking in a more horizontal stance instead of vertical ... that would change the muds line of fire a bit too...

I may remove mine after already seeing how the brackets were made here on a recent wr 250 forum post dunno that bracket method allows you to use the stock rear lights.... if the set up was no good..easy to re install the fender.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 11:00 pm

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
never got mud on my back and don't even see how possible. If your on the seat and turn around you cant see the tire so how is it gonna fling mud on you?
new member from montana question Th10

Got plenty of mud on my back and enough to cover the rear brake light to make it no longer visible.

Put the stock fender and plate back on and no mo mud on the back and a clean tail light so the person behind you can tell when you are braking.

May not be enough proof for some but it was for me!
Back to top Go down
orionswarrior

orionswarrior

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 9:50 pm

It's still early, too cold in my garage to work on it anyway. I will post pictures if I make any changes. I don't mind getting muddy, that's part of the fun. But who knows, maybe someday I'll decide to register it for the road. Thanks for your input, you've given me options to consider.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 11:14 pm

I do get plenty of mud on my tail light and rear fender thumb
Back to top Go down
stevep84

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 6:58 am

Far out that tail light on the US delivered bikes is horrendous.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 8:40 am

stevep84 wrote:
Far out that tail light on the US delivered bikes is horrendous.

Horrendous yes.. but it is effective at keeping mud off the tail and brake light! This becomes very important when you come off a muddy trail and are riding through a town.

Nothing will ruin your day faster than being rear ended by a car because they could not see your brake light coming on.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 12:39 pm

I rode with someone who also removed the rear fender on their WR250R, and they had a stripe of water/mud all up the back of their backpack. Nah, doesn't bug me enough to take it off.
Back to top Go down
orionswarrior

orionswarrior

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyTue Feb 03, 2015 8:55 pm

I just ordered the DRC edge light kit. I will mount a rubber ''mud flap'' where the license plate would go. I just can't live with that fugly lighting monstrosity hanging off the back of the bike. I was going to remove all the lights, except the headlight, but I thought this would be a good compromise. I also ordered the Flatlands skid plate/radiator guard combo. I will post pics when it's done. Thanks again for the input.
Back to top Go down
MTWIBadger

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 1:12 am

I also live and ride in Montana.  One reason to keep brake light and turn lights is to keep it legal on Forest Service roads which typically connect to single tracks.  Your bike is supposed to be street legal in MT on Forest Service roads but I rarely see FS law enforcement when I ride.  Just  a different angle that no one has mentioned.
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 7:54 am

MTWIBadger wrote:
I also live and ride in Montana.  One reason to keep brake light and turn lights is to keep it legal on Forest Service roads which typically connect to single tracks.  Your bike is supposed to be street legal in MT on Forest Service roads but I rarely see FS law enforcement when I ride.  Just  a different angle that no one has mentioned.

Good point if riding on FS roads.

If you are caught doing anything illegal in a National Forest the fines can be pretty still.

I know of a couple of guys who decided to ride down a closed FS road and ended up having their bank accounts made lighter by the tune of $500. The range told them he was taking it easy on them since he had it within his rights to confiscate their bikes.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyThu Feb 05, 2015 10:06 pm

scratch WOW I do live in Gods Country. We don't have any ATV/ ORV rules like you guys have. We can run any fourwheeler, dirtbike, down any city street except the main drag through town. Just obey traffic laws and use hand signals. You very rarely if ever see a D.N.R. officer. If so they are usually nice and courteous if your not a prick and have your trail sticker.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 8:20 am

orionswarrior wrote:
I just ordered the DRC edge light kit. I will mount a rubber ''mud flap'' where the license plate would go. I just can't live with that fugly lighting monstrosity hanging off the back of the bike. I was going to remove all the lights, except the headlight, but I thought this would be a good compromise. I also ordered the Flatlands skid plate/radiator guard combo.  I will post pics when it's done. Thanks again for the input.

Seal up that light before you run it.
I didnt and mine only lasted a few months.
I didnt have a mud flap just the plate below it and the light was always covered with mud.
I also bent the plate and mounting bracket in a tip over.
If you cant tell I dont like the drc tail light, its a POS IMO. wink
One of the 20-30 dollar tail light kits for making offraod bikes road legal is way better than the drc tail light.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new member from montana question   new member from montana question Empty

Back to top Go down

new member from montana question
Page 1 of 1