Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Customizing my WRR

Go down 
+9
mcdoudlehopper
N8
rsteiger
Atomist
blusmoke
Evol
rarepartbuilder
Biglake
YZEtc
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
rsteiger

rsteiger

Customizing my WRR - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 9:22 am

I just mounted up a set of TR8's on my 'street' wheels for my WRR. I was running Shinko 705's which were fine around town but with my riding buddies I really needed something with a little more off pavement performance whenever we are out riding and decide to hit a bunch of muddy dirt roads.

I had thought about going with the Shinko 244's but saw the TR8's and figured I would give them a shot. So far I have about 500 miles on them and they seem to be working well. Good grip on the pavement and decent off pavement. I don't think the rear will last as long as I hoped it would (~3000 miles). Once that goes then I probably will mount up a Shinko 244 on the rear.

If I know I will be riding trails for the weekend then I put on my 'dirt' set of wheels with a Pirelli XCMS front and a XCMH rear. Both are DOT approved and seem to do everything pretty well except they are allergic to pavement miles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 10:52 am

Last edited by Traveller on Mon May 22, 2017 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 11:23 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Last edited by Traveller on Mon May 22, 2017 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
N8

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 3:13 pm

How are you coming along with the Lexx? I've thought of trying to modify one for our bikes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 4:35 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 7:25 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 11:33 pm

Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 12:09 am

HaHaHa LOL your name is traveller and your moving. poser2 Sorry no pun intended or was your name intentional. Know your busy but stay in touch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 7:29 pm

Last edited by Traveller on Mon May 22, 2017 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 11:36 pm

Traveller wrote:
Screen name has been around for 20 years or so.   Started using it some time around 1995 when we were trucking (10 years as owner ops).   My wife and I also like to explore, so we're off on several hour road trips on the weekends as well as exploring all over the local area with the Jeep and dirt machines.   I've probably driven around 2 million miles or so if you add up all the trucking, motorcycle and car mileage.

Once we get settled in, and I can figure out financing, I'm thinking I may need another bike.   Fell in love with a Beta 430 RS down at the Beta dealer here in Boise.   What a NEAT machine.   More dirt oriented, which of course means I need to do the big bore on the WR and keep both... :)  They can be ordered farkled any way you want them just about, which means I'd just order the suspension I wanted and not have to valve/spring them.   244 dry weight, 50HP.   Yeah, I'm thinking about it...

Good news is, all my birthday present parts showed up at the house today, a day early.   My wife says it's all here, so I think I'll start installing this evening.   Whee!   New parts!  

A few years ago I picked up a Beta 520 RR demo bike from a dealer. The bike is a blast to ride and I still have my WRR as well.

The thing is at one point I found myself trying to make the Beta into a DS mule like my WR250R. I was not happy with the results and realized if I am going out on a 1000 mile DS ride and camping along the way that I am generally much happier on the WRR. But if I am going to head out to a campground over the weekend and do some exploring well then I don't need to carry all the crap on the Beta that I was trying to carry before.

So now the Beta is my basecamp play bike and the WRR is my long distance DS ride.
Back to top Go down
ezrdr55

ezrdr55

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 11:50 am

rsteiger wrote:
Traveller wrote:
The thing is at one point I found myself trying to make the Beta into a DS mule like my WR250R.  I was not happy with the results and realized if I am going out on a 1000 mile DS ride and camping along the way that I am generally much happier on the WRR.  But if I am going to head out to a campground over the weekend and do some exploring well then I don't need to carry all the crap on the Beta that I was trying to carry before.

So now the Beta is my basecamp play bike and the WRR is my long distance DS ride.

I just recently DS my 450EXC and have reach the same conclusion.  Anything under a 2K mile round trip I'll be taking the KTM; anything over 2K the WRR gets to go.  Right now I'm limited to two weeks at a time.  I'm hoping that retirement will change that next year. wings
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 2:40 pm

Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 1:23 pm

I just read read this great thread from the beginning. I couldn't agree more with your before/after comments about the suspension! Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your experiences.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 12:43 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2016 9:59 pm

Last edited by Traveller on Mon May 22, 2017 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 12:51 pm

Nice! thumb
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 2:18 pm

Cool, cant wait to hear about the porting. I hope you will provide your input, and pictures aswell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 12:22 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 10:50 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 25, 2016 9:57 pm

Last edited by Traveller on Mon May 22, 2017 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 5:47 pm

Traveller wrote:
Went out about noon after the garage had warmed up a bit, and tore into my bike.   Didn't take a single pic since the space where I'm working is rather cramped.   Too much stuff on the floor from moving in.   The house and shed are pretty much good to go, the garage was starting to get better and then our old neighbor gave us 5 wood working machines that then took up my freshly cleared floor space.  

Anyway, long story short, the motor came all the way out and I did the work on the work bench.  I think it was a lot easier that way rather than trying to tip it in the bike.  After a careful look around inside, the motor was still pristine and everything looked new.  The cylinder and piston looked great, as they should for the mileage.   The cylinder head still looks very nice, and the Dobeck is evidently controlling fueling better than some of the other controllers, as there really isn't much in the way of carbon.  

Decided not to port on the head, as after looking at it I feel like I'd be chasing about 1/2 a horsepower.   With a bore/stroke combo, porting would probably pay off a little more, but I'm not thinking more than another horse or possibly two with cams.  It's just a pretty solid design for the displacement.  

So, I put the whole thing back together and ran it in.  The controller seems to be adjusting for the displacement.   I did need to bump the idle fuel up a tiny bit, and I bumped the cruise fuel mixture down to 13.2 from 13.8 until I feel it's broken in.  

Ran it up to temp, now I'm letting it cool down to get the coolant settled down, then I'll top it and put the side plastic and seat back on it.  

Couple initial impressions.  First, it sounds different out of the same exhaust.   It has a deeper tone to it.   The sound from the airbox is throatier when you rev it up a little also.  It seems a little snappier once I got it warmed up.   Throttle is a little more responsive.   Seems to be a bit more vibration revving it up, so I think I need to break it in and see how it actually behaves.  

We have about 6" of fresh snow on the ground out here, packed snow on the roads, and packed snow and ice on the highway for a few miles.   So, I guess I'm going to have to wait until the roads thaw before I take it out.  

Total time start to finish, about 6 hours.  Had to take a break around 3 for Christmas dinner with my wife.   She's been very understanding today.  Part of that was running it in and cleaning up a bit.

On to my wife's bike.  Going to yank the carb and rejet tomorrow I think.  
Traveller. are you using the FMF controller, what settings, I did 1 tank so far and Im at 4.5  4.5  3  .5   3.5  2
but im at sea level 55 deg. open air box and slip on with 28mm cone after the exup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Customizing my WRR   Customizing my WRR - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Customizing my WRR
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: Sweet Mods & Bike Accessories-
Jump to: