Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain length after sprocket change

Go down 
+3
morgan9283
Fiftygrit
Britt
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Britt

Chain length after sprocket change Empty
PostSubject: Chain length after sprocket change   Chain length after sprocket change EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 7:28 pm

I bought a WRR that came with a 12T front sprocket.  I put a 13T on it today.

Chain length after sprocket change 20150321_160932

The chain adjustment is now like so:
Chain length after sprocket change 20150321_164438

Chain tension seems fine, and it makes me think a link or two were taken out of the chain.  Any harm in riding it this way?
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Chain length after sprocket change   Chain length after sprocket change EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 9:36 pm

No as long as the chain is adjusted right, cheer`s
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: Chain length after sprocket change   Chain length after sprocket change EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 1:35 pm

Fiftygrit wrote:
No as long as the chain is adjusted right, cheer`s

+1

-morgan
Back to top Go down
Old Blue

PostSubject: Re: Chain length after sprocket change   Chain length after sprocket change EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 12:06 am

That's the way mine looked brand new, had to move the axle forward a little because I felt the chain was too tight. Likely you still have the stock length chain on your bike.
Back to top Go down
Britt

PostSubject: Re: Chain length after sprocket change   Chain length after sprocket change EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 8:33 am

I have to say that after changing the sprocket back to OEM size I like the lower RPM's and less frequent shifting. However in top gear at 50 mph or higher, it sure does struggle up slight inclines unless I downshift a gear or two. Gearing on a small displacement bike is certainly important!

I've read that going smaller on the front accelerates chain slider wear so I'm not sure I'd change it back. I'm wondering if I should go a bit larger in back. Guess I need to put some more miles on it and decide...
Back to top Go down
Old Blue

PostSubject: Re: Chain length after sprocket change   Chain length after sprocket change EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 2:09 pm

How is your chain slider look now? Do you still have the stock 43 tooth sprocket on the back? I just ordered a 12 tooth and will try it to see if I like it. I'm pretty sure that if I keep the chain tension on the loose side I won't have any issues. If the gear ratio works for me, I will check the gear ratio chart on this forum and go back to a 13 and maybe a 46 47 or 48 for the back.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Chain length after sprocket change   Chain length after sprocket change EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Im going to go 13-47 on mine, think it will be the best all around, and a 112 link chain.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Chain length after sprocket change   Chain length after sprocket change EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 10:59 pm

cheers 13-47 cheers maybe even 48 unless you do more on the tarmac.
Back to top Go down
doc_simple

doc_simple

PostSubject: Re: Chain length after sprocket change   Chain length after sprocket change EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 8:54 pm

I went with the 48t on the back and because i saw them silly cheap bought a 12 and 14 front. I was worried I would have problems on the highway. I do burn more gas, although its tough to guess what my mileage is now that I'm not even 100% sure of my speed, but I was leaving my buddy on the DL650 and a new found friend on a 400 in my dust a couple weeks ago. Tippety top speed approximately 92-93.

I might put the 14t on the front just to save a little gas but I have plenty of top end. Do not fear the WOT thumb

Unless you have knobbies, like I do, then for gods sake be careful cuz she gets to be a squirrelly bugger!
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Chain length after sprocket change   Chain length after sprocket change EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 11:03 pm

Check the rear tire to mudflap clearance. As long as you are not wearing a hole through the mudflap you would be ok.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chain length after sprocket change   Chain length after sprocket change Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain length after sprocket change
Page 1 of 1