Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.

Go down 
+4
rsteiger
YZEtc
Evol
soupbowl
8 posters
AuthorMessage
soupbowl

soupbowl

Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  Empty
PostSubject: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 6:19 pm

Hey guys,

I recently got in a bike crash due to a possible drunk driver and had to limp my bike home.
My rear breaks were stuck on 'a bit' while I drove to safety. Anyways, I totaled my rear break pads
from excessive heat and wear, they will be replaced, but I don't know what call I should make on my rotor.

Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  Img_2011

I don't know much rotor wear and tear at all, any advice would be helpful, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 7:36 pm

I hope you're ok !!!

That thing is cooked.
I'd replace it, but if it's still reasonably flat, you could try using it, but you might burn through the new pads quicker.

Also, check your hub bearings/seals. Re-grease them...
And while you're at it, I'd check the brake fluid. It could be cooked as well.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 8:24 pm

Why was the brake dragging?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 9:47 pm

Did they ticket the guy or did he flee the scene?

If they ticketed him I would replace the disc and some new tires while I was at it... maybe even some new wheels.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 10:23 pm

Could remove the rotor and bring to local auto parts store with a machine shop and have it turned on a lathe. I know rotors are not cheap and my local shop charges $8 to turn a brake drum! I'm sure they should be able to resurface it for cheap.
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 7:43 am

when it comes to vehicles, I always change both the pads and rotors at the same time. Otherwise you end up with grooves in your pads from old rotors. I've never priced up the rotors for the WRR's but I can't imagine they would be more then $50-$75 for a rear rotor?

Glad you are ok. thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 9:39 am

Rear brake rotor???

Meh - I'd replace pads and not worry much about it.

If it was a front rotor I'd be much more inclined to replace.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 9:46 am

motokid wrote:
Rear brake rotor???

If he's already going to be taking the caliper apart for pads what's another few $ to swap out the rotor as well. How many kms on the bike? I wouldn't go cheap on brakes IMHO. that's my .02 cents. hide
Back to top Go down
soupbowl

soupbowl

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 11:20 am

Thanks for the responses guys.

The short of the story is, I was going around a blind corner and mid way through there was a large truck in my lane.
I hit the non existent shoulder and went into a deep ditch. The guy in the truck kept driving, my bike slid out of the ditch and down the road
2 cars drove past as it was doing that, in the end no one stopped.

My break pedal got totally crushed under the frame, I was able to free the break up before the pedal broke off. I thought anyways...
Taking the break apart the caliper was semi locked up, not sure whats happening. Anyways I now plan to just replace everything
since the repair bill is already going to be expensive and I won't be riding this year no matter how I cheap out.
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 11:30 am

won't be riding this year? :( cry

Back to top Go down
soupbowl

soupbowl

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 12:06 am

I got my repair estimate today and Its going to be 1200$, I just don't have that money this summer for a hobby.
The wife is also nervous about me riding around after this type of thing happening, Its a major bummer.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Wow does that include sand? Brake pads are $20 and a new lever is $40. here is a link at bottom. All will take maybe an hour to change. For under $100
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-WR250F-WR250-rear-brake-pedal-lever-NEW-/200780132508?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebf6db09c&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Performance-Sintered-Brake-Pads-For-KAWASAKI-GAS-GAS-BETA-APRILIA-/180921491378?fits=Model%3AWR250R&hash=item2a1fc2dfb2&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BikeMaster-Rear-Brake-Rotor-789-/231445163861?fits=Model%3AWR250R&hash=item35e334ef55&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 6:43 pm

Soooo pretty much, there charging you $200 for parts and $1000 for an hour of labor. scratch
Back to top Go down
waltermitty

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:51 pm

motokid wrote:
Rear brake rotor???

What he said. Spin the wheel to check that the rotor is straight. Lotsa good parts on ebay.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 8:51 pm

Just don't go buying a WR250F brake pedal unless you don't mind figuring out how to make it work.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 11:21 pm

Sorry YZtec I was just posting up some samples and not even sure which bike he has. thumb
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 3:51 am

No problem.

A member on this forum did post some pics of his work from adapting a WR250F rear brake pedal to his WR250R.
Required a different pivot bolt (where the pedal mounts to the frame) and customized spacers/washers to keep it in place.

Just be aware of guys posting ads selling parts where they write WR250 - is that for an F or R?
They may not know the difference or that the R (and X) even exists.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 7:50 am

soupbowl wrote:
I got my repair estimate today and Its going to be 1200$, I just don't have that money this summer for a hobby.
The wife is also nervous about me riding around after this type of thing happening, Its a major bummer.

Would you care to list exactly what they are "fixing"?

From your initial post I didn't get the impression the damage to your bike was that bad.

Are they replacing things that just have cosmetic damage, but otherwise are fully functional?

How about posting some pics of the damage?

I assume your exhaust canister took some damage. Maybe a brake lever and/or handlebars. Gas tank shroud. Perhaps radiator. Clutch cover. Oil filter cover. Foot peg. Turn signal.

But you also rode the bike home after the crash and only mentioned the rear brake so I'm confused. scratch

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
soupbowl

soupbowl

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 3:16 pm

Sorry I was not very clear, this whole situation has shook me up. The brakes were the only thing I was not sure about.

-Both my levers, handlebars and brake pedal are bent
-Rad is smushed in and header is dented up near radiator
-one turn signal is broken and my water pump is gouged out really bad
-headlight assembly is damaged and front rim is bent

I'll post pictures of it in another thread once I go see it and work on it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.    Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help deciding if I need a new rear rotor.
Page 1 of 1