Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie

Go down 
+22
mr-cave
Superchimp
GaryH
jundat
velvetcows
adamoto
BWA
0007onWR
Midnite171
mash100
12oclocker
Matty
NorgeWR2X
gregli
denniswrr
inspector
f3joel
YZEtc
mfrankpdx
marty
ZED
motokid
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Midnite171

Midnite171

power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 10:02 am

Man, on my CR it was always;

Twist the throttle and lean over your handlebars to keep the front end down, repeat for second gear, repeat for third gear. I always had a hard time keeping my front end DOWN. What a beast that bike was.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 10:31 am

motokid wrote:
Yep...I've heard it described hundreds of times....being able to see and hear it would be worth reading it a few million more times.

If nobody can get a short video from a wr250x or r, then fine. But it sure would be nice to have a video. power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 61865

if i had a gopro i'd video it. do some searching on youtube, pretty sure you'll find something.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 8:02 pm

I was hoping for more of a direct, personal tutorial from one of our resident experts.

Most youtube videos are not "how to guides", and certainly not "how to guides on a wr250".

With focus on the clutch vs. throttle activity.

power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 61865

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyFri May 21, 2010 4:54 pm

motokid wrote:
I was hoping for more of a direct, personal tutorial from one of our resident experts.

Most youtube videos are not "how to guides", and certainly not "how to guides on a wr250".

+1!
I saw a load of Youtube vids of guys going round in circles on 1 wheel. Looked really easy, but I nearly killed myself when I tried!!
So - someone needs to do the decent thing, & produce a 'how to' instruction video on this bow Hell, I'd pay for someone to teach me properly!! freaky
Back to top Go down
NorgeWR2X

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyFri May 21, 2010 5:01 pm

mash100 wrote:
motokid wrote:

+1!
I saw a load of Youtube vids of guys going round in circles on 1 wheel. Looked really easy, but I nearly killed myself when I tried!!
So - someone needs to do the decent thing, & produce a 'how to' instruction video on this bow Hell, I'd pay for someone to teach me properly!! freaky

well the slow circle wheelie, u need a very large rear sprocket plus u need to set your idle rpm way high. then, LOTS of practice (trial and error)
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptySat May 22, 2010 12:29 am

"Stay away from throttle wheelies."
WORD.

I still remember the nurse........and that vile scrub brush...........
The Horrror!!........trust me, you never want to see your knee cap

Throttle wheelies are for big bikes
Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyMon May 24, 2010 8:09 pm

I wish I had a gopro, eventually I'll get one, and I'll post something up on youtube once I do.
Back to top Go down
BWA

BWA

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 4:42 pm

Figured I'd bring this one from the dead hide

I concur that clutched wheelies are the preferred way, however there is nothing wrong with a powerwheelie on these small bikes. On a supersport liter bike, or even 600, it's another story. On these however, it comes up fairly consistantly.

3rd gear wheelies. black wrx has 12T/44T, airbox door removed, no-toil superflow air filter and PCV with map #3. Otherwise stock. Popped it up at little over 40mph.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Haha, I was just mentioning I need some help on this....(to bad we don't have a stunt forum to better find stuff)

Need video of 2nd gear wheelies. No need for balance point wheelies (cause I will NEVER be able to do those), just loft the front end up a few times over. Very happy
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 12:00 pm

In 2nd gear at about 26mph, I just back off the throttle and then just crank it. It stands right up. Stock gearing, HMF pipe and PCIII.
Back to top Go down
velvetcows

velvetcows

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 3:34 am

Motokid, pretty sure you asked bout this vid, I may make another one with the same camera angle this weekend. i'll move the hand guards up so you can watch my hands and listen to the engine. it wont be an instructional piece, just me doin some wheelies. I'm not so good at 2nd gear, too slow and torquey to stay straight but I'll try.

Left vid is 4th gear, Right vid is mostly 2nd and a few 1st gear. 12/43 sprockets, AIS and flapper removed, no-toil kit, pwrcore4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 9:26 am

Nice. Looks like a ton of "body english" on some of those.

Also looked a lot like you didn't use clutch at all for the slower speed, lower gear wheelies. Is that true?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
velvetcows

velvetcows

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 7:56 pm

It wasn't a LOT of body english but yes, its pretty much required. I did both clutch and no clutch in 2nd gear, I think 1st was clutch every time.

Its easier to start from a standing position, this way you can bounce the bike once. As the suspension pushes the front end back up, 3 things happen at the same time. 1: snap the throttle about half way (give or take, adjust accordingly), 2: give a little tug on the bars, 3: shift your weight back. hold your weight back until the front is up where you want it. At any time you can shift your weight forward and/or sit your but on the seat. If you use the clutch, thats thrown in with the "3 things happen at the same time," I let the clutch OUT just a gnats ass hair after I twist the throttle. The rpm's barely climb before the clutch is let all the way out. Its a similar effect as chopping the throttle off then on real quick.

The same can be done from a seated position, minus the suspension bounce. letting off the throttle just before a wheelie is initiated helps. Doesn't need to be a chop off, but at least a slight ease off so you aren't accelerating, then BRAAP!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 1:21 am

i just suck at bouncing them up. 2nd gear roll off the throttle hard, get my weight over the front bars, wack the throttle wide open and jerk the bars as hard as I can backwards almost spraining both wrists and didn't even get an inch off the ground. GAHHHH

I can only clutch them up on this bike in 1st gear.
Back to top Go down
velvetcows

velvetcows

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 1:49 am

twowheeled wrote:
i just suck at bouncing them up. 2nd gear roll off the throttle hard, get my weight over the front bars, wack the throttle wide open and jerk the bars as hard as I can backwards almost spraining both wrists and didn't even get an inch off the ground. GAHHHH

I can only clutch them up on this bike in 1st gear.

watch the vid BWA posted ^^^ are you shifting your weight like that. Stickin ur rump over the rear fender?? Gotsta be in the proper rpm range too. find that rpm spot that feels like it has the most torque and accelerates the quickest. thats the money shot!
Back to top Go down
jundat

PostSubject: :)   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 12:17 pm

i will try wheelie with 2nd gear tomorow, but i think i can do that when buy some new sticker :)) ha ha ha
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 12:29 pm

I just changed out my wheels so I could do wheelie practice. Now it's raining so hard we have flooding going on.......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 6:21 pm

I have a 12T front sprocket and all the usual mods and my bike power wheelies in 2nd. I wiegh 165 by the way. By usual mods i mean flapper mod, ais removed w/block off plate, servo eliminator and Q4 pipe, fmf power programmer.....i just get it up in the R's let of a little then whack the throttle.
Back to top Go down
GaryH

GaryH

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 7:33 pm

Wheelies are useless unless you can steer with the rear wheel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 4:10 pm

I have no problem steering with my rear wheel and body weight! I can cruise around corners all day on one wheel Very happy
Back to top Go down
Superchimp

Superchimp

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 1:58 am

Hi guys,

I have a newbie question if you don't mind.
I have a stock bike with 13/51 gearing. I weight 90kg.

I can easily get the front up to the balance point with clutch when on 1st gear, but it seems impossible to do it when on 2nd gear.
Do you think i'm too heavy for the lil bike? Is something wrong with the bike? Or is it just the matter of skills :)?

Thanks,
Cheers,
M.

Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:45 am

Superchimp wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a newbie question if you don't mind.
I have a stock bike with 13/51 gearing. I weight 90kg.

I can easily get the front up to the balance point with clutch when on 1st gear, but it seems impossible to do it when on 2nd gear.
Do you think i'm too heavy for the lil bike? Is something wrong with the bike? Or is it just the matter of skills :)?

Thanks,
Cheers,
M.

I have the stock gearing on my X 13/42 and I weight is about the same 90-ish. No problems with clutching it up in 2nd or doing power wheelies in 2nd but then im standing.
Im not super skilled or anything. I can maybe go on for about 150-200m in just 2nd gear using my body and wery small throttle to balance the bike.
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:20 pm

Yesterday i tried to do power wheelies (standing up) in 3rd gear.
I managed to do it once and i went pretty far on one wheel.

Today i tried again and managed to do it several times. My feeling is that it is actually easier to controll the bike standing up in 3rd gear. I think i manged to go about 700-800meters today.
Back to top Go down
Peterbuilt

Peterbuilt

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 10:26 am

I can do em' in 1st and 2nd gear no problem using the clutch.. But, I did get it up once in 3rd using the clutch and the riding pegs (not the rear pegs). It was pretty cold out though.. maybe that has something to do with it.. And, i'm only 155lbs..

BTW, my bike has 13, 48 gearing, fmf powerbomb, q4 slip on, fmf programmer.. and all the other "stock" mods you can do..

Pete

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 8:48 am

mr-cave wrote:
Yesterday i tried to do power wheelies (standing up) in 3rd gear.
I managed to do it once and i went pretty far on one wheel.

Today i tried again and managed to do it several times. My feeling is that it is actually easier to controll the bike standing up in 3rd gear. I think i manged to go about 700-800meters today.

NO CLUTCH in 3rd gear????

Standing on front pegs, or rear pegs, or stunt pegs?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie   power - Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Second Gear No Clutch Power Wheelie
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next