Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

another WRR tail light mod

Go down 
+2
rarepartbuilder
old wrrastler
6 posters
AuthorMessage
old wrrastler

another WRR tail light mod  Empty
PostSubject: another WRR tail light mod    another WRR tail light mod  EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 1:07 am

I just recently joined the WRR/X Forum, so I will make the obligatory comments about what a good resource it is and my sincere appreciation of the efforts of contributors.

This is my first post here with actual motorcycle content.  The subject of my post is hardly an original one: what to do about the stock tail-light/license plate holder assembly (on the USA model).

I know there are several different approaches to tidying up the rear of the USA (North American?) WRR.  I like the Edge2 tail light OK.  Modding the stock assembly by cutting out some of the fat has its merits too.  I had something different in mind for mine.  These were my design intentions:

*Reuse components from the original assembly.  

-I like the original turn signals back there.  They are bright and large.  The rubber break-away mounts are worth preserving too.  

-The tail/brake light emitter is wider than I would prefer, but it’s bright, reliable and, like the stock turn-signals, is already paid for.  The stock tail/brake emitter comes with a mounting bracket that matches up to the two mounting nuts on the back of the subframe almost perfectly.    

*Don’t destroy any part of the original tail light, so it can be put back to stock if desired.

The bracket needs these spacers to lower the tail/brake light emitter away from the fender.

another WRR tail light mod  IMG_2624%20bracket%20attached 

The original bracket from the tail/brake light emitter bolts to the rear of the subframe.  The holes just need a little filing to make them closer together.

another WRR tail light mod  IMG_2592%20lamp%20bracket

I purchased a 12”x 12”x almost 3/16” sheet of black plastic at our local steel supply store.  I made cuts and bends to create a mounting plate from which hang tabs to mount turn signals and license plate.  I used a butane torch to warm up the plastic so it would bend.

I left it 12” long, cut the whole piece down to about 7” wide, made the first two cuts and bends to make the turn signal hangers.

another WRR tail light mod  IMG_2602%20first%20bends%20flip

I trimmed things so I could make the next bends to the plate holder.

another WRR tail light mod  IMG_2609%20second%20bends

I continued to fine tune the shape, cut the excess from the turn signal mounting tabs, made cuts, bend and holes for mounting reflector…

another WRR tail light mod  IMG_2626%20complete%20plastic

The turn signal stalks are angled up so the right signal will clear the end of the exhaust.

another WRR tail light mod  IMG_2634%20assembled

The uncovered light emitter lights up the license plate nicely and legal here in Michigan.  It also serves as a side marker light now that it isn’t covered.

another WRR tail light mod  IMG_2640%20light%20on

I just added the Pro Moto Billet rack while I was doing the tail light, as they both mount on either side of the same holes in the subframe.

another WRR tail light mod  IMG_2647%20complete%20light%20off

Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: another WRR tail light mod    another WRR tail light mod  EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 5:26 am

Looking good. thumb thumb I like the plate tipped back a bit horizontal it helps cut back on any tire roost that may try to target the rider. I'm all for using the stock rear light components as well.. keeps the farkle money freed up .. wink
Back to top Go down
Leo167

PostSubject: Re: another WRR tail light mod    another WRR tail light mod  EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 11:40 am

Agreed..looks good
Will be looking to do this as well.... thanks for posting
Back to top Go down
Fly man

PostSubject: Re: another WRR tail light mod    another WRR tail light mod  EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Looks Great!!! Thanks for the write up.
Back to top Go down
Cygnus X1

PostSubject: Re: another WRR tail light mod    another WRR tail light mod  EmptySat May 16, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks for the write up and mod old wrrastler, I followed your design and it came out great, I too like the stock lights, just wanted to change the tail.
I first made one out of one piece, but after fitting it on, realized that my turn signals need to be atleast nine inches apart due to my state. So then I made another out of two pieces glued together and added a led from brightlights for the license plate light. Thanks again for the idea..
First one I made.
another WRR tail light mod  P5160010
And the two piece final.
another WRR tail light mod  P4250010
LED license plate light.
another WRR tail light mod  P5160012
Full on complete.
another WRR tail light mod  P4250011
led on.
another WRR tail light mod  P5160013
another WRR tail light mod  P5160014
Back to top Go down
Jim79

PostSubject: Re: another WRR tail light mod    another WRR tail light mod  EmptyMon May 18, 2015 10:32 am

I like the looks and durability of this material.  I would love to have a James Bond setup where you can flip up the plate when you are offroad. You know, so you can be incognito, er, I mean, to keep your plate clean....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: another WRR tail light mod    another WRR tail light mod  Empty

Back to top Go down

another WRR tail light mod
Page 1 of 1