Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please.

Go down 
+3
Jens Eskildsen
jaygo
blusmoke
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jaygo

Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please. Empty
PostSubject: Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please.   Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please. EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 10:54 pm

So.. Yeah, I stripped my oil drain bolt on my WR. It was an awful day. Anyway I took it to the Yamaha dealer and they put a helicoil in and told me i'd be fine. So the bike is home now and I ride it for an hour or so and put it away and 3 days later I have a oil stain on the floor the size of a quarter. Ride it again, same size stain a few days later. Repeat, repeat. The bolt is wet to the touch but If I wipe it clean it seems to take hours to get wet again so yes it's a very small leak but it's making me crazy, mainly cause I'm so pissed at myself. I have checked the torque (with my new torque wrench) and it's to spec, 20NM. Anybody have any possible suggestions as to my next move to solve this leak? I spoke to my auto mechanic and he suggested a little bit of teflon tape just around a few of the threads closest to the head of the bolt. Is this a good option? I thank you in advance for any help with this.

Best,

Jason
Back to top Go down
blusmoke

PostSubject: Re: Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please.   Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please. EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 3:43 am

I don't think the teflon tape is necessarily a bad idea, but I would think the crush washer is kinda in charge of the oil being able to seep out and not the threads. Try to get a fresh crush washer on there, see how it does and then pull out the tape and silicone.

I bought a pack of oil drain washers from CycleGear a few years ago and use as needed, here is a link
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please.   Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please. EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 5:37 am

+1 on a new crush washer ..if your oil plug bolt tightens to spec its not the bolt.
do not use teflon tape... the teflon could get caught on the heli coil end and lift it etc.. {it only a spring that is shaped like a thread}
Back to top Go down
jaygo

PostSubject: Re: Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please.   Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please. EmptySat May 16, 2015 9:26 am

Well still no luck resolving this leak. I've changed oil and replaced OEM crush washer twice, no luck. I've now tried installing a new bolt as well as a Permatex product which is specifically to stop Oil Drain Bolt leaks (seems to be a heavy grease with some infused teflon). This seemed to not be leaking at first but after my first hour plus ride where the bike got pretty hot the slow drip was back after the bike st a couple days! I had a different shop look at the helicoil install and they said it was done just right.

So am i doomed to just have a leaking bike for the rest of it's existence? I understand it's supposed to be the crush washers job to hold the oil, not the bolt. Maybe there is a crush washer material that could work better than the OEM copper? Any other thought?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please.   Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please. EmptySat May 16, 2015 10:41 am

You could give the crushwasher a small amount of liquid gasket, like high temp rtv on both sides. It fixed leaks on the oilpipes on my old xt350, when new crushwashers alone just wasnt up for it.

This probably isnt a correct fix in many peoples minds, but it works.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please.   Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please. EmptySat May 16, 2015 8:35 pm

Go to a automotive parts store and get a plastic or fiber crush washer like they sell for car oil drain bolts, they seal up much better than the stock copper or alum ones.

If this doesnt work you must have a burr or low spot around the drain hole so the washer isnt sealing, file it flat.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please.   Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please. EmptySun May 17, 2015 1:31 pm

+1 on using a smooth flat file to make sure the engine case surface is flat and burr-less. thumb
Back to top Go down
dfoustou

PostSubject: Re: Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please.   Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please. EmptySun May 17, 2015 8:26 pm

The same happened to me in both the WR250 and the CX500. I suggest that you leave it alone and let it drip. It seems that you don't loose oil in a high flow rateā€¦just refill once a while.
Back to top Go down
Gany

PostSubject: Re: Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please.   Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please. EmptySun May 17, 2015 9:38 pm

Ive had good success using timesert inserts... Might work better than a helicoil in this case?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please.   Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please. Empty

Back to top Go down

Yes, I stripped it, now I need some help please.
Page 1 of 1