Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

stripped thread on skid plate mount

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
router.exe

router.exe

stripped thread on skid plate mount Empty
PostSubject: stripped thread on skid plate mount   stripped thread on skid plate mount EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 3:14 pm

soo i took my skid plate off to change my oil like i normally do, only this time when i put it back on it stripped the treads of one of the mounts. not sure what best permanent fix is.

so i helicoil it? or ....???
thx
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: stripped thread on skid plate mount   stripped thread on skid plate mount EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 5:30 pm

Yea helicoil or some like Time Serts--it is a bushing you thread in and requires a kit. Then there is just retapping the hole--depending on how you bunged it up-- or go see a machinist. Around here a machinist will charge around $45 or less for one hole--which is about the cost of the insert tools so I guess it is a wash. Which mounting point stripped out?

router.exe wrote:
soo i took my skid plate off to change my oil like i normally do, only this time when i put it back on it stripped the treads of one of the mounts. not sure what best permanent fix is.

thx
Back to top Go down
router.exe

router.exe

PostSubject: Re: stripped thread on skid plate mount   stripped thread on skid plate mount EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Akasy wrote:
Yea helicoil or some like Time Serts--it is a bushing you thread in and requires a kit. Then there is just retapping the hole--depending on how you bunged it up-- or go see a machinist. Around here a machinist will charge around $45 or less for one hole--which is about the cost of the insert tools so I guess it is a wash. Which mounting point stripped out?

router.exe wrote:

thx
no idea how it bunged up to be honest. just put the bolt back in like normal, started threading fine, then i felt mush like it ate the threads and sure enough it did. it's one of the mounts on the under side.
Back to top Go down
cmtnwr

PostSubject: Re: stripped thread on skid plate mount   stripped thread on skid plate mount EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 1:50 am

You could try a 1/4" -28 tap. If that does not work a 6mm heli-coil would still be doable. IF THERE ENOUGH THICKNESS TO INSTALL THE HELI-COIL Check out this link for more info

http://www.emhart.com/pdf/Heli%20Coil/HC2000%20Rev%204.pdf
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stripped thread on skid plate mount   stripped thread on skid plate mount Empty

Back to top Go down

stripped thread on skid plate mount
Page 1 of 1