Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Voltmeter

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
grw800

grw800

Voltmeter Empty
PostSubject: Voltmeter   Voltmeter EmptySat May 16, 2015 3:28 pm

After my stator failure earlier this year, I started thinking it would be nice to have a voltmeter on the bike to catch a charging system problem before it causes worse problems. I found this voltmeter on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Motorcycle-LED-Digital-Display-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Meter-12V-24V-Hottest-/311325532444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487c72a11c

It comes with a handlebar mount, but I didn't find a good place for it. I took it apart and found that the mount and holder were about 5 times bigger than the voltmeter itself.

Voltmeter 00110

So I insulated the meter's terminals with electrical tape, and looked for a better place to mount it. Lo and behold, it fit between the instrument panel and headlight plastic like it was made to go there. It fits there snugly without any other means of support.

Voltmeter 00710

To wire it, I attached the ground terminal to one of the bolts that holds the insturment panel in place, and spliced the positive lead into the fuse block main feed wire.

Edit:  When I went to eBay to get the link, I saw that you can now buy just the voltmeter without the handlebar mount!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-Car-Motorcycle-LED-Digital-Display-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Meter-GN-Hottest-/141585436481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f7264f41
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

Voltmeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voltmeter   Voltmeter EmptySun May 17, 2015 2:07 pm

i'm gathering heated gear to extend the biking season and i will need to know where to draw the line on voltage being used up..Thanks for the link.. i just ordered 2 of the bare bones units for the bikes in the stable.. thumb
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

Voltmeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voltmeter   Voltmeter EmptySun May 17, 2015 3:47 pm

I have this on my xt600: http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-4-Waterproof-Digital-Voltmeter-0-30V-Blue-LED-Car-Motor-Motorcycle-Panel-Meter-/261227907402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd265894a

I further waterproofed the rear of it with rtv :)
Back to top Go down
littleblue

Voltmeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voltmeter   Voltmeter EmptyThu May 26, 2016 3:30 pm

grw800 wrote:
After my stator failure earlier this year, I started thinking it would be nice to have a voltmeter on the bike to catch a charging system problem before it causes worse problems. I found this voltmeter on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Motorcycle-LED-Digital-Display-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Meter-12V-24V-Hottest-/311325532444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487c72a11c

It comes with a handlebar mount, but I didn't find a good place for it. I took it apart and found that the mount and holder were about 5 times bigger than the voltmeter itself.

Voltmeter 00110

So I insulated the meter's terminals with electrical tape, and looked for a better place to mount it. Lo and behold, it fit between the instrument panel and headlight plastic like it was made to go there. It fits there snugly without any other means of support.

Voltmeter 00710

To wire it, I attached the ground terminal to one of the bolts that holds the insturment panel in place, and spliced the positive lead into the fuse block main feed wire.

Edit:  When I went to eBay to get the link, I saw that you can now buy just the voltmeter without the handlebar mount!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-Car-Motorcycle-LED-Digital-Display-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Meter-GN-Hottest-/141585436481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f7264f41

I am confused where you say you get the power for the voltage meter. It sounds like you managed to get a switched source but can you further explain - "spliced the positive lead into the fuse block main feed wire". Is this switched?
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

Voltmeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voltmeter   Voltmeter EmptyThu May 26, 2016 4:16 pm

littleblue wrote:

I am confused where you say you get the power for the voltage meter.  It sounds like you managed to get a switched source but can you further explain - "spliced the positive lead into the fuse block main feed wire".  Is this switched?

Yes, it is switched. It's the fuse block under the left front side cover, not the main fuse near the battery.
Back to top Go down
littleblue

Voltmeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voltmeter   Voltmeter EmptyThu May 26, 2016 7:01 pm

grw800 wrote:
littleblue wrote:

I am confused where you say you get the power for the voltage meter.  It sounds like you managed to get a switched source but can you further explain - "spliced the positive lead into the fuse block main feed wire".  Is this switched?

Yes, it is switched. It's the fuse block under the left front side cover, not the main fuse near the battery.

I have looked, Is there somebody with a pic that shows this location pointed out.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

Voltmeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voltmeter   Voltmeter EmptyFri May 27, 2016 3:03 pm

I googled "wr250r fuse"and got this pic, actually from this website, for ya.

Voltmeter 193
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Voltmeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voltmeter   Voltmeter Empty

Back to top Go down

Voltmeter
Page 1 of 1