Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain slack with bigger sprockets?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SwissDude

SwissDude

Chain slack with bigger sprockets? Empty
PostSubject: Chain slack with bigger sprockets?   Chain slack with bigger sprockets? EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm sure this has been asked or even discussed before, but if so, I didn't find it.

I'm about to install a 48 rear (13 front, but have a 14 ready). How is the chain slack set up with a larger sprocket?
Due to to larger diameter of the sprocket(s) the distance between chain and swingarm obviously increases. But what does that mean for chain slack?

Assuming 1/2 inch is the right distance for the stock 13/43 combination, do I add the extra in diameter of my 48 rear sprocket to that value?
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Chain slack with bigger sprockets?   Chain slack with bigger sprockets? EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 pm

I have 13-47 and adjust the chain the same as 13-43, if you go 14-48 it will be damn close to running a 13-45, I think the best is around 13-48 or 49 still can use it on the road but way better in the bush over stock,
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Chain slack with bigger sprockets?   Chain slack with bigger sprockets? EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 3:06 pm

The chain tension (and slack) should be the same for larger sprockets too, but the reference measurement point from the swingarm will increase to reflect the larger sprocket diameter(s).

The info in the owner's manual is just a pre-measured reference point for chain tension with factory sprockets and suspension settings.  Those measurements are no longer usable if you significantly change sprocket diameter(s) or modify the suspension in a way that changes the chain's tightest spot while sitting on the side stand (where the manual suggests performing adjustments.)

You may find this discussion on the topic to be instructive.

Once you determine the appropriate tension for your modified setup you can record your own measurement using a method similar to that in the owner's manual for quick adjustments the next time.
Back to top Go down
SwissDude

SwissDude

PostSubject: Re: Chain slack with bigger sprockets?   Chain slack with bigger sprockets? EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 6:08 am

Okay, so I've installed the 48 and a new chain. Setup looks reasonable and the bike feels great  wings

However, I have some strange...dunno..."chain-rattling" describes it best, I think. It's audible (nothing dramatic, though) but much more it's visible.
Depending on the revs the chain seems to wobble a lot. Maybe it already did that with the old gearing, no idea.

Any thoughts on that?
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Chain slack with bigger sprockets?   Chain slack with bigger sprockets? EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 7:36 pm

Any notice in corners while taking off? Most likely slacked chain. I always check for chain wear after changing. Usually will see the inside of the chain get polished and shiny if loose. Check inside and out of sprocket for left to right rubbing. I can tell when my chain is loose just by listening to it. thumb
Back to top Go down
SwissDude

SwissDude

PostSubject: Re: Chain slack with bigger sprockets?   Chain slack with bigger sprockets? EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 5:15 am

thanks, I'm still unsure...last thing I did was to put a liiiittle bit more tension on the chain. Still plenty of slack but the wobble is much less now and I can't hear the chain any more.
I hope it's right the way it is now. I think I'll see some Yamaha dealer, just to be sure...
Back to top Go down
michiko

PostSubject: Re: Chain slack with bigger sprockets?   Chain slack with bigger sprockets? EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 9:53 am

wwguy wrote:
The chain tension (and slack) should be the same for larger sprockets too, but the reference measurement point from the swingarm will increase to reflect the larger sprocket diameter(s).

The info in the owner's manual is just a pre-measured reference point for chain tension with factory sprockets and suspension settings.  Those measurements are no longer usable if you significantly change sprocket diameter(s) or modify the suspension in a way that changes the chain's tightest spot while sitting on the side stand (where the manual suggests performing adjustments.)

You may find this discussion on the topic to be instructive.

Once you determine the appropriate tension for your modified setup you can record your own measurement using a method similar to that in the owner's manual for quick adjustments the next time.

thanks so much for that link. i run 12\52 and have been finding it hard to get the slack spot on and now i can. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chain slack with bigger sprockets?   Chain slack with bigger sprockets? Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain slack with bigger sprockets?
Page 1 of 1