Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Another chain slider opinion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
66T

66T

Another chain slider opinion Empty
PostSubject: Another chain slider opinion   Another chain slider opinion EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 7:05 am

G'day all. Forgive me if this opinion is replicated from someone else - I'm at work and forum time is limited.

This is what I believe to be true - the front chain slider wears excessively if:

.Smaller sprockets than standard are used
.Chain is tight
.Rear suspension has been lowered by any means
.Soft rear suspension is chosen

Here's why. When the shock is compressed and the s/arm at its highest point, the nose of the slider is pretty much all that is being used to keep the chain from munching the s/arm. If the suspension is lowered, the upper roller is brought into play much more often ie potentially overtightening the chain and causing the lower slider nose to wear more rapidly.

I've lowered my suspension via the shock length thread, and even with a sloppy chain, slider wear is increased, and something to watch. I am heavy, and the bike is set up soft so I don't get the crap beaten out of me during long days at work. Thus the suspension is compressed often, and I've noticed the above situation now affects my bike. Pity the bloody sliders are so expensive. Pity we've got to replace them. My TTR250 has had only one new one in 74,000km. Amazing.
Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: Another chain slider opinion   Another chain slider opinion EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 8:45 am

Agreed. The reasons I haven't stocked up on two or three spares is ;

1.Price
2.Hoping someone will make a better one. Would HATE to get stuck with several of these short life s/a protectors.
Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Another chain slider opinion   Another chain slider opinion EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 12:40 pm

ZIA make your own... i've viewed some of your items.. this is no different.

I'll be making a nylon WR250r chain slider version for my wr250r  this winter. The 2013 fabbed model on my KLR is wearing great. When using nylon the chain edges wear into the plastic.. then the rollers take over and start the rolling on the nylon similar to slides on a snowmobile suspension.

Another chain slider opinion 16409860872_89e517ba5b_chpim2388 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

for would be  fabbers.. here is a link to the 2013 unit build still running strong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another chain slider opinion   Another chain slider opinion Empty

Back to top Go down

Another chain slider opinion
Page 1 of 1