Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How to rebuild the chain slider.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Biglake

How to rebuild the chain slider. Empty
PostSubject: How to rebuild the chain slider.   How to rebuild the chain slider. EmptySun Mar 20, 2016 12:42 pm

My chain slider was worn through and I wanted to see if I could fix it instead of buying a new one, which I could and it worked out well.
I blame it wearing out on my slightly lowered suspension and the srt chain on a 13 tooth front sprocket, the srt chain is larger height wise than normal cutting the clearance between the chain and slider down.

If you don't want to replace the chain slider when it wears out you can patch a new piece onto the front of it where it wears.
I used super hard uhmw white plastic that I had lying around but you could also use a hockey puck its just big enough plus would be black so it would be harder for someone to notice the repair.

I cut out the worn section so I'd have a flat square place to put the patch, its attached by 2 screws from the side, I drilled tiny pilot holes for them and they're up as high as possible so the chain wont dig into them as it wears. I cut it with a re sip saw and ground it down with a 4 inch angle grinder to get it to match the shape of the original slider, its not a perfect match but close enough to fit well.
This took me 30 minutes tops to do, it wasn't hard at all and this stuff is way harder then the stock material so it will last longer.

Heres some pics.
How to rebuild the chain slider. Dscn0013
How to rebuild the chain slider. Dscn0011
How to rebuild the chain slider. Dscn0014
How to rebuild the chain slider. Dscn0012
How to rebuild the chain slider. Dscn0017

Last edited by Biglake on Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DWK

PostSubject: Re: How to rebuild the chain slider.   How to rebuild the chain slider. EmptyFri Mar 25, 2016 7:29 pm

Very interesting! The ability to get longer wear between replacement intervals interests me.

Thanks,

Dave
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: How to rebuild the chain slider.   How to rebuild the chain slider. EmptySat Mar 26, 2016 9:52 am

I wouldn't have bothered patching the slider if I didn't think this setup would outlast the stocker.

They use that uhmw plastic (I googled it to get the name lol) at my work in a flour mill as chain tensioners on some machinery, it last for years with a chain dragging on it 24/7.

I cut the stocker up with a hack saw very easily but the uhum was way harder and I used a re sip on it, same deal drilling holes and driving the screws in, the uhmw is night and day harder then the stock slider. thumb
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: How to rebuild the chain slider.   How to rebuild the chain slider. EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 5:28 am

Will try this mod aswell. Do you know which glue bonds to this material...epoxy perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: How to rebuild the chain slider.   How to rebuild the chain slider. EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 3:42 pm

Automotive goop or 3m trip adheavise sticks to all types of plastic well, but nothing beats screws, wood screws really dig into it and hold.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: How to rebuild the chain slider.   How to rebuild the chain slider. EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Yep, I wanted to use both glue and screws :)
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: How to rebuild the chain slider.   How to rebuild the chain slider. EmptyMon Jan 21, 2019 4:07 pm

Is this still going strong? Shog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to rebuild the chain slider.   How to rebuild the chain slider. Empty

Back to top Go down

How to rebuild the chain slider.
Page 1 of 1