Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Alternative tires

Go down 
+2
duanew
Jäger
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Alternative tires Empty
PostSubject: Alternative tires   Alternative tires EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 1:15 am

Anyone tried the Mefos out?

Alternative tires MFE_99F%2Bh

They might not be appropriate for lots of mud and stuff like that. But I ride pretty close to a real 50/50 dual sport, with very little mud and/or sand. Lots of forest service roads, mining exploration roads, skid roads, etc and so forth. And of course the miles on the slab.

Saw these and they reminded me of the Enduro style tires we had on our old Yami enduros back in the late 60's and early 70's that served us so well no matter where we took our bikes. For those who don't see much mud or sand, these look like they might be just the ticket.
Back to top Go down
duanew

Alternative tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternative tires   Alternative tires EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 1:50 am

I had those on my KLR-650 when I used to have one a few years ago. This is before they got very popular and much more expensive. At the prices that I have seen lately I would steer clear. Have you found any good prices on them?

My guess for non mud and sand riders is a Shinko 244. This tire looks like a Kenda K270, but has a slightly different tread pattern toward the sides and handles better on pavement. This tire is extremely cheap, wears well on the pavement, and feels great in the corners. I had a set on the Super Sherpa that I just sold. The only complaint I had about them is their inability to handle deep sand well. The front tire was prone to skateing around in the corners.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Alternative tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternative tires   Alternative tires EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 2:10 am

I run Kenda Trailmaxx's on my XT, they work perfectly fine offroad and my last rear tire lasted 6000 km and still didn't look "Horrible"
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

Alternative tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternative tires   Alternative tires EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 4:00 am

Jäger wrote:
Anyone tried the Mefos out?

Alternative tires MFE_99F%2Bh

They might not be appropriate for lots of mud and stuff like that. But I ride pretty close to a real 50/50 dual sport, with very little mud and/or sand. Lots of forest service roads, mining exploration roads, skid roads, etc and so forth. And of course the miles on the slab.

Saw these and they reminded me of the Enduro style tires we had on our old Yami enduros back in the late 60's and early 70's that served us so well no matter where we took our bikes. For those who don't see much mud or sand, these look like they might be just the ticket.

Good for 5000km at rear wheel(!) on my KTM LC4 620 Supercomp. Nice and cheap tires, quite soft, but surprisingly durable and quite good for tarmac riding. I am thinking of using them on my Tenere right now. Give it a try, I think they are a good choice.
Back to top Go down
greer

Alternative tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternative tires   Alternative tires EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 5:15 am

I ran these all the time on an F650GS and then on a DR. Excellent tires; I could get over 7,000 miles on a rear and nearly twice that on a front (be sure to run it backward) but I reckon prices have shot higher than a cat's back.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
bman

Alternative tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternative tires   Alternative tires EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 8:50 pm

Alternative tires DSC02240
I had a KLR 650 for 3 1/2 years. The MEFO's were the best tire I ever ran on that bike. Expensive.... but a great, durable tire. This is what they looked like at 2500 miles. The nail was just pulled out.

I might put a MEFO on the rear of the R². I'd opt for a more agressive front tire though.
Back to top Go down
greer

Alternative tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternative tires   Alternative tires EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 6:26 am

Take a look at the Michelin T63. I've got over 4,000 miles on the set that's on my XT, still look good.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alternative tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternative tires   Alternative tires Empty

Back to top Go down

Alternative tires
Page 1 of 1