Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cheap mods that make a performance/usability difference?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dartmouth01

Cheap mods that make a performance/usability difference? Empty
PostSubject: Cheap mods that make a performance/usability difference?   Cheap mods that make a performance/usability difference? EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi all, new to the WR world, just picked up an 08 WRX that has Shinko 244's on the 17" rims. I do mostly trail riding so at some point I'll find me a set of 21"/18" wheels so I can keep the sumo rims for street tires, but money is tight so I'm riding it as is for now. Been perusing this site hard and learning as much as I can, but its overwhelming learning the ins and outs of a new bike. So I ask the collective conscience here: What are the best cheap/free mods I can do right now? By cheap, I would say $50 or less.

From what I've learned so far from this site, I've tackled these projects:

1) Skid plate (found on Ebay used). Installed with some rubber inner tube for damping
2) Cranked the rebound damping on the rear shock to full hard (3 clicks out) Haven't ridden it yet, but will do some testing soon
3) 48t rear sprocket, new 13t front, and a JT X ring chain (found out the hard way that a 45t rear does NOT fit on the stock 108 chain......)

Things I plan to do:
1) Set race sag (3-4 inches correct?)
2) Play with damping on suspension
3) Jumper the CO diagnostic so I can play with the settings
3) AIS removal? I don't think it gains any performance, and if it does not, I'm considering doing well enough alone
4) Removing or disabling flapper? I've read that gains can be had from a stock system, but as an engineer myself, I tend to give the designing engineer the benefit of the doubt that they know more about what they are doing than I am when it comes to their design. Is it really worth doing on a stock engine set up?
5) Try the R6 thottle swap.

Any other cheap or free performance/usability mods I can do? I'm not that into farkles and bling, unless there is a definite functional improvement (not just weight reduction).

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Cheap mods that make a performance/usability difference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap mods that make a performance/usability difference?   Cheap mods that make a performance/usability difference? EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 4:21 am

I'd make 3.5 inches (one third of total wheel travel) my race sag target.
Back to top Go down

Cheap mods that make a performance/usability difference?
Page 1 of 1