Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rinconrider

Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. Empty
PostSubject: Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything.   Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 12:14 pm

I'll try to  be consise:

08 w/6000 miles. Many mods. Engine mods are fuel programmer, FMF megabomb and Q4. AIS and EXUP gone and properly bypassed. Ran for years like this.

Was riding and bike just DIED. Like ECU was unplugged or gas line was cut. Died, no re-starting, no push starting. DEAD.
Got picked up in truck. So the starter motor cranks but there is no combustion AT ALL. Just endless cranking until the battery dies. It's like there is no fuel or no spark plug or no ECU plugged in, all of which make the bike act the same.

Checked codes. NO CODES THROWN except for exup motor and ais flapper, to be expected.
All diagnostic modes report in range down the line via internal diagnostics and manually if possible (TPS, kickstand, tipover, neutral, etc).
Fuel pump primes properly. Gas spits out injector. Ether/starting fluid combusts from spark in cylinder as seen from header but does run bike.

Went after the usual suspects first. Here are the things I have tried in vain:

3 spark plugs, 2 new and all gapped well.
There is spark on a spark tester from the coil.
Battery is good, charged and tested and new within the year.
New gasoline. Gas lines checked for blockage.
Air cleaner cleaned and eventually removed for diagnostics.
Changed injector and TPS and throttle body. No change.

Cylinder compression test showed low and higher with a cap of oil in the cylinder and homebrew leakdown made air come out of bottom end (oil in and timing check hole) so stripped her down and changed the rings and gaskets because I thought somehow the rings had failed (even though I know they usually don't all of a sudden catastrophically fail like that). Did not change anything.

Found corrosion on main relay leads. Replaced. No change.
Replaced ECU. No change.
All fuses and links are fine. Traced all electrical via shop manual diagrams and everything is proper (as far as I can tell).

Have not changed the coil yet however resistance of primary and secondary coil are within range from shop manual.

I know engines a bit. Air (compression), Fuel, Spark right?
WHAT AM I MISSING????

I don't have a ton of money and can't spend a bunch more. I know I need to take it to the dealer at this point but I don't have the money right now, especially after already dumping all that money in. I am at my wits end. I have not been able to ride in a month.

Any ideas?

TIA... wes scratch cry
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything.   Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Have you had the stator recall fixed?
Back to top Go down
rinconrider

PostSubject: Re: Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything.   Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
Have you had the stator recall fixed?

my VIN fell outside the recall even though I have had stator problems before.
As I understand a stator though it wouldn't cause this kind of behavior. Would it?

wes
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything.   Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. EmptyWed Jun 08, 2016 10:54 am

If you have not changed the fuel pump yet that would be my guess.
Back to top Go down
Caldsy

Caldsy

PostSubject: Re: Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything.   Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. EmptyWed Jun 08, 2016 5:27 pm

Fiftygrit wrote:
If you have not changed the fuel pump yet that would be my guess.

Fuel pump primes and fuel injector spits out fuel... as per his post. So I'm not sure it would be the pump.

Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything.   Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 1:26 pm

Ya my bad, once a post goes over 2 paragraphs my A.D.D. sets in.
Back to top Go down
rinconrider

PostSubject: Re: Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything.   Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 11:49 pm

I took out the fuel pump and I think the problem is actually the fuel regulator. It seems to be able to let fuel straight through. I think the diaphram is somehow ruptured if that is possible.

Does anyone have a broken WRR/WRX fuel pump that was replaced? I don't even need the pump just the little regulator on the pump. The service manual says to replace it if it's faulty but of course you can't order just the fuel regulator. It's part of the whole fuel pump assembly.

There should be plenty of them around given how often the WRR fuel pumps were replaced (as whole units).

wes
Back to top Go down
TioJose

TioJose

PostSubject: dry   Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. EmptyFri Jun 10, 2016 2:05 am

Think wetted for years diaphram lying around dry are no good.
Back to top Go down
TioJose

TioJose

PostSubject: Timing   Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. EmptyFri Jun 10, 2016 2:07 am

Did you check your timing.
Did you check your pickup signal.
Just sparking and spraying wrong moment will not start it.
Back to top Go down
rinconrider

PostSubject: Re: Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything.   Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. EmptyFri Jun 10, 2016 3:22 pm

(This is a cross-post from ADV hoping more WRR riders will see it.)

Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. I-7f75hLm-L

Here are some photos of the fuel regulator. The fuel flows directly into the line to the rail through the white plastic assembly. The idea would be once pressure builds to the proper PSI the fuel going into the 8 holes in the fuel regulator will push the diaphragm and return fuel to the tank through the nipple exiting towards the white backsplash plate on the plastic assembly.

Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. I-F49Bk4f-L    Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. I-wX3T9FG-L

However when I turn the key (or try to start) fuel just pours back into the tank through the black hole in the metal regulator (surrounded by the black retaining clip).

I can also blow air with no resistance at all through the 8 holes exiting the back main hole I was just talking about. This seems wrong too. There should be some sort of resistance or why have the fuel regulator at all.

Can someone take a look in their tank and see WHERE the fuel exits when the key is turned and the pump primes? How about when starting?
Maybe my assumptions above are all wrong, I don't know.

Thanks. I'm no expert but I am learning how this works. I come from carbs. FI is a whole new more complex world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything.   Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything. Empty

Back to top Go down

Died on ride - will not start now. Tried everything.
Page 1 of 1