Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bike died in the garage again....

Go down 
+2
wwguy
zone47
6 posters
AuthorMessage
zone47

zone47

Bike died in the garage again.... Empty
PostSubject: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 12:44 pm

This is the second time the bike just kind of decided it didn't want to start after it was running perfect a few days before.

I pulled it in the garage and turned it off.  Two days later it won't start.  cry

The gas is topped up.   The fuel pump is pumping when the key is turned on.   I even shot a bit of starting fluid to rule out that the bike wasn't getting gas for some reason, but it didn't even kick at all.

So anyway, I tore the thing apart.  Took the hose off the tank, cycled the pump and it's pumping plenty of gas.   I drained the tank just in case there was some dirt or water stuck at the bottom.   I pulled the plug, grounded it and it's sparking like crazy!!  Put every thing back together and it just cranks. dddog

So now I'm going to get a new plug and replace it anyways .... spark plugs can be funny under pressure.  Then I'll get some of the best gas I can find and dump it in there and see what happens.

Kind of weird for a Japanese bike, I've never had trouble with any of them, but this is the first with all these new fangled electronics.  I guess I should feel lucky that i'm not stranded miles from home.

I'll update asap.    Anyone else have weird problems like this?

Last edited by zone47 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 5:27 pm

So I flushed the gas tank, put in fresh gas, primed the pump. Still won't start. Put in a new plug. Still won't start. Checked that it is firing .... and it is, a nice hot spark. I cranked it enough where the old plug was getting wet, so I know it's getting gas.

What else could it be? Anyone have any ideas?
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 6:22 pm

zone47 wrote:
What else could it be?  Anyone have any ideas?

- Clogged air filter (dirty, too much oil, mouse hotel etc.)
- Clogged fuel injector
- Electrical connectors (injector, TPS, etc.)
- Timing chain/tensioner problems
- Fuel programmer (failure, disconnected)

Just brainstorming...
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 2:38 am

Whatever you find once it runs, again, come back on here and explain.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 8:50 pm

YZEtc wrote:

I sure will.

Sorry to be down on the bike, but we've been having great weather and it's kind of a bummer that it died for no reason.

Soo it is getting fuel and spark. The bike ran fine and I turned it off ... then it didn't start two days later.  So compression doesn't sound like it could be an issue, I mean what could break in the garage when the bike wasn't running? dddog   Is there an auto compression release on these bikes?

The only other thing would be timing, and I doubt the timing chain would have jumped a tooth from the time I turned it off to the time I tried to start it again?

I'm baffled!

I've owned (3) Yamaha R1s, one R6, one YZF 750, (3) FZ750s and numerous Yamaha dirt bikes.  None of them have ever given me any trouble, so that's why I"m having a hard time understanding the prob with this WRR. dunno

ok, it can't be that hard ... maybe God is saving me from a terrible accident? bannana    .. but I'm not thinking that is it... scratch
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 7:34 am

I'd try cleaning the injector, it might be getting some gas but not enough to start when cold.
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 11:52 am

zone47 wrote:
YZEtc wrote:

I sure will.

Sorry to be down on the bike, but we've been having great weather and it's kind of a bummer that it died for no reason.

Soo it is getting fuel and spark. The bike ran fine and I turned it off ... then it didn't start two days later.  So compression doesn't sound like it could be an issue, I mean what could break in the garage when the bike wasn't running? dddog   Is there an auto compression release on these bikes?

The only other thing would be timing, and I doubt the timing chain would have jumped a tooth from the time I turned it off to the time I tried to start it again?

I'm baffled!

I've owned (3) Yamaha R1s, one R6, one YZF 750, (3) FZ750s and numerous Yamaha dirt bikes.  None of them have ever given me any trouble, so that's why I"m having a hard time understanding the prob with this WRR. dunno

ok, it can't be that hard ... maybe God is saving me from a terrible accident? bannana    .. but I'm not thinking that is it... scratch
you can hear the fuel pump run and then shut off when you turn key on?
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 11:56 am

paulie1960 wrote:
zone47 wrote:
YZEtc wrote:

I sure will.

I'm baffled!

you can hear the fuel pump run and then shut off when you turn key on?
kinked fuel line,
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.   I ran through the diags to check the injector clicking and it's fine.  No fuel line kink either.

What I am getting is a lean angle senor fail.  Faults 30,41 and 70... and of course the bike won't start with that going on, so now I need to find out what the lean angle sensor is and how to fix it. amazon
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 2:49 pm

Im sure google can help, but im pretty sure its just under the seat, with the letters "Up" on it.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 3:40 pm

It's alive again! eeek

Normally I'll do one thing at a time while troubleshooting so I can isolate what the actual problem is. Well, I kind of blew it. Several things could have contributed to it starting again. Here is all I did since the last failed start:

Battery was charged overnight ( although it was strong enough to crank for several long efforts when I was trying to get it going during the non start... so don't think it was a batt voltage prob ).
I ran the diags and then cleared the faults which was 30,41 and 70.
I tapped on the lean angle sensor.
I tried to start the bike and it sort of coughed. I tried again and it sort of coughed again. Finally gave it some gas and it finally kicked over again and started.

So what is weird is it almost acted like it was totally flooded and needed a day to dry out. Why would it flood though? It's always started with no throttle and I didn't do anything different the day it decided not to start.

Regarding the lean angle sensor codes, the bike did fall over about a month ago, but the engine was turned off. Would that trip that lean angle code? scratch

Anyway, it's not clearly defined what the actual problem was...... dddog
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 3:52 pm

Thank you for reporting back with your results, as it sucks when members from all kinds of forums and message boards will ask for help on a problem, but never come back on to report the findings once the problem is solved.

Yeah, hard to know for sure, but did you start the bike soon after it fell over a month ago?
Code 40 is for the lean angle sensor, too.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 9:18 am

zone47 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.   I ran through the diags to check the injector clicking and it's fine.  No fuel line kink either.

What I am getting is a lean angle senor fail.  Faults 30,41 and 70... and of course the bike won't start with that going on, so now I need to find out what the lean angle sensor is and how to fix it. amazon

Just to add some more info to this thread... the fuel pump will not run with the lean angle sensor tripped or unhooked so if your fuel pump is running that sensor is fine, the codes are from every time it gets tripped, I bet I have that code in mine, I drop the bike a bit lol.

Its good to hear you got it to go. thumb

I'm wondering if it was just a weak battery not cranking it quite fast enough to start. scratch
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 5:38 pm

I know if you trip the lean angle sensor you'll have to turn off key to reset it before starting
Back to top Go down
paulie1960

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 5:38 pm

I know if you trip the lean angle sensor you'll have to turn off key to reset it before starting
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bike died in the garage again....   Bike died in the garage again.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Bike died in the garage again....
Page 1 of 1