Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DPete

DPete

Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR Empty
PostSubject: Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR   Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Had to give it a good home Very happy Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR Husk2510
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR   Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Nice looking bike. That being said, I rode and wrenched on a similar one many years ago, and can say "better you than me". I have evil memories of the that old 250CR. It was only 10 years old at the time, and in decent shape, but the Bing carb was one of the most evil devices ever created in my opinion. I raced a 1980 390CR back in the day. That was a neat machine, and I still have really fond memories of it. Brought home some iron with it.
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

PostSubject: Re: Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR   Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 4:05 pm

Traveller wrote:
Nice looking bike.   That being said, I rode and wrenched on a similar one many years ago, and can say "better you than me".   I have evil memories of the that old 250CR.   It was only 10 years old at the time, and in decent shape, but the Bing carb was one of the most evil devices ever created in my opinion.  I raced a 1980 390CR back in the day.  That was a neat machine, and I still have really fond memories of it.   Brought home some iron with it.
Has Mikuni, starts 1st or 2nd kick. Ya, I had a 71' back in the day, R. foot shift, Bing, this one is pretty well mannered so far for yesteryear, just something to tinker with. Need a 400 to go with it thumb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR   Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Oh good! The Mikuni makes a huge difference. The early motors with no reed valves were always soft off the bottom, but rev'd out well. I rode the 400 also. Lots of power, but the suspension with that much power was a bit scary! Liked my 390CR a whole lot better, but it also had big tube Simons air forks. The stock 35 Marzocchi stuff was super flexy. The Simons with their large triple clamps and huge tubes didn't flex much. No hunting around, just rock solid, good handling. Stuff it into a corner, run it 100 MPH wide open, it just hooked and went. I've ridden a number of bikes since, and those were some of the best riding forks I've been on. Didn't realize how good I had it when I bought the bike used in 1982. If I ever buy a vintage Husky, I'll be searching for a set of vintage Simons.
Back to top Go down
Snark

PostSubject: Re: Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR   Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 am

Beautiful bike! I had a 250 Mikula replica cross. After a rebuild and Bassani pipe addition and a few carb tweaks it started easy, idled quietly and ran like a scalded dog. Best handling bike I've ever ridden. In trouble, the throttle is your friend. In trouble, the brakes will get you hurt!
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

PostSubject: Re: Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR   Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 8:38 pm

Snark wrote:
Beautiful bike!  I had a 250 Mikula replica cross.  After a rebuild and Bassani pipe addition and a few carb tweaks it started easy, idled quietly and ran like a scalded dog.  Best handling bike I've ever ridden.  In trouble, the throttle is your friend.  In trouble, the brakes will get you hurt!
Brakes! What brakes? stepped on the rear going down a little hill and just kept going, thought I was gonna have to drag my feet LOL. Not going to ride it hard anyway but it does go a lot better that it stops.
Back to top Go down
Flycast47

Flycast47

PostSubject: Re: Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR   Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 9:24 pm

Also bought and rode a Husky 250 WR in the mid '70's. I was moving up from a Yamaha AT-1 converted to CT-1 and fully adapted to desert racing in So Cal. The Husky did have issues staritng with a "deformed" keyway on the countershaft sprocket. I also found the suspension not well suited to my riding style and weight (maybe 170lbs at that time). I suffered a very uncomfortable getoff in some sand whoops in the high desert. Shortly thereafter I sold it and bought a Suzuki RM250B that I dearly loved and rode until the late 80's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR   Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR Empty

Back to top Go down

Rescued from craigslist 72' Husky 250WR
Page 1 of 1