Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

highway commuting too hard?

Go down 
+3
Biglake
CRFan1
angrypolak
7 posters
AuthorMessage
angrypolak

angrypolak

highway commuting too hard? Empty
PostSubject: highway commuting too hard?   highway commuting too hard? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi guys,

umm,

bought a 2014 wr250r with 6kmiles from some spanish guys in the city. I did the airbox mod, fuel programmer, fmf pipe, whatever.
Anyway i use it to commute to work from lake hopatcong to clifton which is 35 miles, mostly highway, it was doing fine for about 4 months. Mind you i ride about 80+mph on the highway for about 30min at a time.
Im at 12k miles now and ive bought some Warp9s, the sprocket that came with em was too big to fit 49teeth so i used the stock R sprocket(42t?).
Ive had the stator recall done about 2 weeks ago. did an oil change, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now ive got noises coming from the depths below.
I go to the dealership that did the stator and immediately theyre like its your crank...
So i go to a reputable mechanic and he opens the side cover for the stator, notices nothing and puts it together. The squeeling noise stops.
Ive still got this mechanical whrrrrr.
So i go to another reputable mechanic(dont ask why i go to multiple places, ive got legitament reasons and id rather not have to bore you. this shits already too long.) he said it sounds like piston slap.
Right now im at work typing this and he is at work taking the head off to check the piston for any wear, so we shall see how that goes.

btw manx cycle on rt46 in dover is teh shiitttttt.

We shall see what occurs from this, but the REAL question(s) is:
should i get a different bike for commuting;
do wheelies actually starve the head for oil;
do i go for a bigger piston or stay stock(im in love with the maint sched on this thing)

Thank you,
have a good afternoon

P.S.
its hilarious how every shop i go to is like "26k mile valve intervals?? thats INSANITY!"
Back to top Go down
CRFan1

PostSubject: Re: highway commuting too hard?   highway commuting too hard? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 2:32 pm

If I had to guess....it very well could be your cam chain tensioner is no longer working well or the chain itself is needing replacement. My bet would be the tensioner, which is a simple fix.

Hard to diagnose without hearing it though.....:)
Back to top Go down
angrypolak

angrypolak

PostSubject: Re: highway commuting too hard?   highway commuting too hard? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 7:54 am

looks like i cracked the code on how to blow these things. glad i caught it when i did.

The crankshaft bearing or what have you, went. The piece that mates the crankshaft to the arm was a bit used up. wobbled vertically just a little bit. The piece that attached the arm to the piston seems a bit used as well.

Time for either a new crankshaft or replace the bearing,
going to get a new piston anyway(any suggestions?)puke

and finally a smaller sprocket and keep it under 70 lol.
I dont think a smaller sprocket would have helped though. since the speedo is based off the trans or whatever, i was still pushing the engine the same, but at a reduced speed.

I saw that Athena made cranks and also pistons for a big bore kit. i dont think im going that route because of reliability.
That or ill go with weisco or just plain stock. stock seems to work well for everyone.

or ill get a ktm 690 so i can hoon and commute.
should have traded that guy for his smc625 baldy
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: highway commuting too hard?   highway commuting too hard? EmptyFri Sep 02, 2016 11:15 am

Check out thumper racings stroker crank.
Since you need to rebuild or replace yours you might as well go bigger. thumb

If I was doing your commute I'd get a bigger bike, the wrr useally takes that abuse without issue but its the wrong tool for the job.
Back to top Go down
dfoustou

PostSubject: Re: highway commuting too hard?   highway commuting too hard? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 10:30 pm

Biglake wrote:

If I was doing your commute I'd get a bigger bike, the wrr useally takes that abuse without issue but its the wrong tool for the job.
the bike can do 65-70 mph easily - highway community isn't an issue...for me at least.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: highway commuting too hard?   highway commuting too hard? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 4:56 pm

angrypolak wrote:
Hi guys,

Ive had the stator recall done about 2 weeks ago. did an oil change, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now ive got noises coming from the depths below.

I go to the dealership that did the stator and immediately theyre like its your crank...

So i go to a reputable mechanic and he opens the side cover for the stator, notices nothing and puts it together. The squeeling noise stops.
Ive still got this mechanical whrrrrr.

So i go to another reputable mechanic(dont ask why i go to multiple places, ive got legitament reasons and id rather not have to bore you. this shits already too long.) he said it sounds like piston slap.

Right now im at work typing this and he is at work taking the head off to check the piston for any wear, so we shall see how that goes.

should i get a different bike for commuting;
do wheelies actually starve the head for oil;

angrypolak wrote:

The crankshaft bearing or what have you, went. The piece that mates the crankshaft to the arm was a bit used up. wobbled vertically just a little bit. The piece that attached the arm to the piston seems a bit used as well.

Time for either a new crankshaft or replace the bearing,

My guess is either the mechanic that did the stator recall screwed something up (which is hard to imagine), you or the PO starved the head doing wheelies, when you did the oil change you didn't put in enough oil or you just got unlucky and your bike has a bad bearing from the factory.  

To my knowledge WRs have no problem with highway miles and the problem you have is uncommon.

Be careful with your piston upgrade: if you love the maintenance intervals on the WR you might find there are shorter intervals. Though many have had good luck you may also want to read up on failure rates.

Sorry to hear it.  

-morgan
Back to top Go down
theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY

PostSubject: Re: highway commuting too hard?   highway commuting too hard? EmptySat Nov 12, 2016 7:34 am

dfoustou wrote:
Biglake wrote:

the bike can do 65-70 mph easily - highway community isn't an issue...for me at least.

yep i have 60000kms+ on my WRr with a heap of 110km/h highway riding(100kms a day to work and back) no issues....not the best bike for it but its not that bad really
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: highway commuting too hard?   highway commuting too hard? EmptySat Dec 03, 2016 2:11 pm

This is the first I am hearing of these bike not taking well to wheelies... Seems to me from the manual alone that the pump should still be in oil even at a decent incline... Maybe not 12 oclockin it everywhere but the 9 oclocker should be alrite... Anyone care to elaborate?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: highway commuting too hard?   highway commuting too hard? Empty

Back to top Go down

highway commuting too hard?
Page 1 of 1