Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Is the WR250 really that good?

Go down 
+6
Akasy
X-Racer
Jäger
RimBenty
nirvana
CalgaryMcLean
10 posters
AuthorMessage
CalgaryMcLean

Is the WR250 really that good? Empty
PostSubject: Is the WR250 really that good?   Is the WR250 really that good? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 9:57 pm

Looking at getting a new/used dual sport and am torn between a WR250 and a 650 thumper. For running around town and anything off-road I have no doubt that the WR is superior, but what about on the highway?

Whether it is a 650 or the WR, I would be looking at a better seat and wind protection, but can the WR250 comfortably run the highway for hours on end at 70-75 mph while chasing my friends on GSs and Wee Stroms? Am I and the light-weight bike going to get blown off the road by gusty winds or passing semi?

Help me decide! scratch

Thanks
Back to top Go down
nirvana

nirvana

PostSubject: Go Big   Is the WR250 really that good? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 11:07 pm

Hey I own a 08 WR250X and an 08 XR650L and I only take the WR on shorter trips.. If I plan on going on the interstate I will always take the XR..I really like the WR and it is very fun to ride.I just dont like to drive it over 60 or 65mph.. I just think the WR will last longer if I keep it to lower speed treks. Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250 really that good?   Is the WR250 really that good? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 12:06 am

If you plan on spending most of your time riding with guys on GSs and Wee Stroms, then you should get one of those, you'll be much happier.

If you want a smaller bike but plan to do a lot of riding on the highway get the 650.

If you plan to ride lots of trails, dirt roads and back roads with occasional highway runs get the WR.

Personally I hate riding anything on the highway, even cars. There are a number of guys that have spent plenty of time on the highway with the WR, so if it works for them it might work for you too.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV

Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250 really that good?   Is the WR250 really that good? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 12:31 am

nirvana wrote:
I just dont like to drive it over 60 or 65mph.. I just think the WR will last longer if I keep it to lower speed treks.
If the WR250R can be run by assorted members here for hours in the desert, while they're wringing its neck, and it is hot enough on those climbs with little enough airflow that the fan keeps kicking in, I doubt very much that running it at 60 - 65 mph on the slab with plentiful airflow is going to cause the bike much angst.

It ain't the tool for chasing bikes with nearly three times the displacement on the slab, but yes, it will run at 60 - 65 mph all day with boring efficiency

7000 rpm for 65 mph is right in the powerband... certainly not a big deal.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250 really that good?   Is the WR250 really that good? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 2:31 am

No 250 is good on a highway hours on end - Period.

Ask them to follow you on the off-road short cuts and the equation has much different answer.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: highway   Is the WR250 really that good? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 8:31 am

CalgaryMcLean wrote:
can the WR250 comfortably run the highway for hours on end at 70-75 mph while chasing my friends on GSs and Wee Stroms?

You put it right in your question--you will be "chasing" them on the highway at 70-75mph. Can the WRR cruise at that speed--yes at near WOT and dropping a gear on hills and headwinds. I'm almost always at 6000 feet and above so my power is down about 15% compared to sea level so take that into account. You just are not going to "keep up" with the larger CC bikes on the highway if they wick it up as the WRR will struggle on hills and headwinds. I've got a street legal XR650R and the WRR--I've taken both on 350 plus mile dual sport rides and much prefer the XRR when a lot of highway is involved. JMHO.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250 really that good?   Is the WR250 really that good? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:52 pm

I cruise back and forth to West Virginia from baltimore, about 200 miles each way, about every other weekend when the weather's nice at 70+ mph without undo discomfort or strain on the bike. The bike can handle it just fine.
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250 really that good?   Is the WR250 really that good? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 11:08 pm

When going across North America I was following a couple Beamers GSs for a while, then the wind in my face and the extra luggage took its toll. They outran me no matter how hard I tried to keep with them. Mind you, I was doing 65-70 tops. They were going somewhere between 70 and 80mph, if they decide to go those speed, you can't follow on this bike.

It was still very comfortable. But yeah, perspective. This bike is still a 250, it's an amazing 250, but it's not a 1200cc. It's lighter and more fun in the trails, even loaded with luggage (been there.) but you'll be riding right on the speed limits on the highway.
Back to top Go down
sr1

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250 really that good?   Is the WR250 really that good? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 6:16 am

The WR250 is a good second bike. It's not a good primary bike. Besides, if you are running with GS's and VStroms, you are not going to the places that the WR shines (unless you're going to go wax their collective asses in the twisties). That's why I have two bikes, my 1200GS, and my WR250x
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250 really that good?   Is the WR250 really that good? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 8:50 am

It always round up to the same thing.

Is it the on road speed that is satisfying for you or the satisfaction to be able to do almost any road or any trail.

The WR is the best to do everything but it isn't the best to do high speed.

I had a Weestrom and except for the fact that it was able to keep tempo with all the bikes on road wasn't satisfying in other situations. I was able to travel fast on big gravel roads. I was even able to go through some trails. But when I got in deep sand, mud, big rocks or anything slippery and twisty it was a pain just to keep the bike upright.

Now I use the WR for everything. I decided that I was able to sacrifice getting swiftly to 70 mph and I also decided that cruising at 60 or 65 mph wasn't that much of a pain. And when I hit the trail, I can still take it relax and enjoy the surroundings instead of fighting the weight.

But if most of the trails you're going to do are high speed trails, a 650cc is the way to go. Then you'll be able to follow some big twins but even then not all. On the big gravel roads like the TLH, Trans taïga or North road the big twins often cruise à 85mph and more on long stretch and then even the 650cc are not as much at ease to follow them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250 really that good?   Is the WR250 really that good? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is the WR250 really that good?
Page 1 of 1