Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

remove stock chain

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kellow

remove stock chain Empty
PostSubject: remove stock chain   remove stock chain EmptyMon Sep 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi! probably a very "newbie" rated question but how do I remove the stock chain to put in a new one? ( I can't find the master link) after reading quite a bit I am going to try 13 / 48 sprockets with a 112 link chain, hoping to improve the WRR's off road capabilities.
What kind of tools will I need? I've been watching some videos, do I really need dedicated master link pliers? a chain press tool? snap ring pliers?
What brands do you guys like for your chains and sprockets?
Back to top Go down
Diamond K

Diamond K

remove stock chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: remove stock chain   remove stock chain EmptyMon Sep 26, 2016 7:14 pm

I didn't find a master link in my factory chain either. There is a tool called a link breaker. But I just used a 4" grinder to grind the heads off. Then you can use a flat screw driver to pop the side of the link off. Easy to do.

Last edited by Diamond K on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

remove stock chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: remove stock chain   remove stock chain EmptyTue Sep 27, 2016 3:31 am

Pretty much all factory bikes (at least the ones intended for road use) don't come with a master link but with an endless chain. Every rivet is exactly the same.

You can buy chain tools pretty cheap on ebay. I bought my kit for about 30€, not the best of tools, but it does its work fine. Works both for rivet type and clip type master links. I would not risk doing it without, too much potential for something to go wrong, or at least slice your hand open with a screwdriver or whatnot. As I said the cheap one has worked for 2 chains on my wrr so far.

One side note: to remove the stock endless type chain, you should grind the head of the rivet off, or risk breaking the tool. The pressing tool is meant to be able to push out rivet type master links, they have a 1mm or so hollow section in the beginning where you rivet. These can be simply pushed out with the tool. Since all of the endless chain rivets are solid, you will have a hard time pressing it out. I did manage to push it out with the tool without grinding its head, but almost broke the tool in the process (some of the threads are toast now Shog ).
Back to top Go down
kellow

remove stock chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: remove stock chain   remove stock chain EmptyTue Sep 27, 2016 10:43 am

thank you very much!!!
do you run the same sizes or different ratio? and why?
Back to top Go down
Diamond K

Diamond K

remove stock chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: remove stock chain   remove stock chain EmptyTue Sep 27, 2016 2:02 pm

I am running the 13/50 with 112 link chain. Got them through Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for a cost of $105 for the set. Been running this set up for 2 years. That is about as tall as you can put on and keep the chain guard in place. My son is running the same set up on his WR but he got a blue sprocket. Made a BIG difference on the slow end but you loose the top end speed. You can still run 65 mph but it makes the WR scream along at higher rpm. We make about 3 trips each summer to Colorado for a total of 4 weeks of riding forest service and single track. Love the set up.

Primary Drive Rear Aluminum Sprocket 50 Tooth Silver Part # 1022280034
Primary Drive 520 ORH Gold X-Ring Chain 520x112 Part # 1021240016

Back to top Go down
morgan9283

remove stock chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: remove stock chain   remove stock chain EmptyFri Oct 14, 2016 1:16 pm

kellow wrote:
Hi! probably a very "newbie" rated question but how do I remove the stock chain to put in a new one? ( I can't find the master link) after reading quite a bit I am going to try 13 / 48 sprockets with a 112 link chain, hoping to improve the WRR's off road capabilities.
What kind of tools will I need? I've been watching some videos, do I really need dedicated master link pliers? a chain press tool? snap ring pliers?
What brands do you guys like for your chains and sprockets?

I've had an RK chain tool for many years.  You can cut any chain with a grinder or dremel but the right tool makes it easy plus the same tool will allow you to install rivet type chain and has a press that makes installing master links easy.

I've long run RK x-ring chains and primary drive sprockets with no complaints.  This time around it will be a DID x-ring with a rivet master link as I got a good deal from a friend in the business.  Primary Drive doesn't seem to have sprockets for the WRR anymore so I'll probably buy JT sprockets from amazon.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

remove stock chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: remove stock chain   remove stock chain Empty

Back to top Go down

remove stock chain
Page 1 of 1