Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Suspension settings recommendation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Krion

Suspension settings recommendation Empty
PostSubject: Suspension settings recommendation   Suspension settings recommendation EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 1:36 pm

I recently picked up a WR250R for enduro and trail riding. I'm new to the whole dirt bike thing.

Can someone please recommend me what settings to use on the forks and shock? I weigh 155 without gear.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Suspension settings recommendation   Suspension settings recommendation EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 2:13 pm

At 200 lbs. wet I'm a bit heavier than you, so my experience might not be the same as yours, but here's my take on the stock suspension.

Regarding the shock:  The factory midpoint compression damping setting (10 clicks out from closed) worked great for me.  The stock shock's main problem is insufficient rebound damping, which can create a pogo stick effect in some riding conditions.  I found some relief on mine by increasing the rebound damping to maximum (3 clicks out from fully closed.)  While noticeably better it still wasn't enough for me and I eventually rebuilt the shock with a heavier spring and Race Tech Gold Valves.

Regarding the forks:  I found the compression damping to be somewhat weak, with the front end prone to diving excessively while braking and packing up in the whoops or sections of downhill trail with continuous obstacles like rocks etc.  I also found the rebound recovery from compression to be a bit slow.  I experienced the best results with the compression damping near maximum (1 click out from closed) and rebound damping near minimum (15 clicks out from closed.)  Like with the shock I later rebuilt the forks with springs more appropriate for my weight and riding style, and also installed Race Tech Gold Valves.

For me the improvement in ride between factory and my own later clicker settings was definitely noticeable.  But the difference after later upgrading suspension components with better valving was fantastic.

If interested. more info on my suspension settings and some videos of rides with it are in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Suspension settings recommendation   Suspension settings recommendation EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Here's my old notes and my settings - I weigh 170 +

Standard Recommended by ... Mine

REAR
Shock 12/25 Rebound Damp Wheel = Full Damp Hard is 3 out of 25
SIDE 10/12 Compression = 1 Click is Stiffest (Rec 6) 6 out of 12

FRONT
TOP 10/17 Rebound Damp Hard is 1 (Rec 9 or Higher) 12 out of 17
Bottm 10/19 Compression = 1 Click is Stiffest (Rec 1) 5 out of 19

Lower the number the stiffer / harder

My sag = 90 mm = 3 1/2"
Shock - Mine is not 3 full turns softer from original setting & with the lowering link

Also
Recommended

REAR
Rebound Dampening = FULL = 3
Compression = about 1/2 = Stock 6

FRONT
Rebound = 1/2 to Very Light 12-15
Compression = FULL 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8VomeL0FZo
see 2:10

The bike in stock form is sprung for a 170-195lbs rider with gear..

http://go-race.com/yamaha-wr-suspension/

The shock and fork adjustments are set near the middle from the factory.
I didn't like the fast rebound on my shock so according to several WRR shock set-ups,
Rear - I cranked rebound full and compression 1/2 way
Front - Full compression up front and 1/2 rebound.
Works night and day better than stock set-up.
That took care of the bouncing rear end and soft forks and help even out the front and rear.

AND

*Set the rear shock all the way to full rebound damping - it'll still be a little shy of optimum for rougher terrain.
*Set the fork compression to full damping. There's not enough to control dive when hitting downhill obstructions.
*Set the fork rebound to very light so it will return quickly, allowing bike to stay level off of jumps, during braking stutters, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suspension settings recommendation   Suspension settings recommendation Empty

Back to top Go down

Suspension settings recommendation
Page 1 of 1