Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread

Go down 
+22
drifteast
csmart
JemmyOtis
Hertz
tearapin
zone47
mo_rider
Two times
wwguy
Teufel
mrstsang
Biglake
michiko
N8
mcdoudlehopper
softjeans
05cr125r
rarepartbuilder
martin_nj
Diamond K
Fiftygrit
Gath3r13
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
wwguy

wwguy

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Enjoying some local riding above town.

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Hullsg12

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Hullsg16

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Hullsg17

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Hullsg18

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Hullsg15

Last edited by wwguy on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
05cr125r

05cr125r

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 11:07 am

is it pretty easy for you to push your bike up on the versa hauler ? i'm not overly tall.....
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 12:47 pm

05cr125r wrote:
is it pretty easy for you to push your bike up on the versa hauler ? i'm not overly tall.....

Yes, it's very easy with the carrier height as shown in my photos. Much easier than the carriers with no ramp or pickup truck bed with ramp.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 9:45 pm

Snow and cold temperatures are slowly but surely forcing me out of the mountains.  So today I spent some time following the Oregon Trail where the Snake River plains meet the Boise mountains.

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 20151112
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Suspension upgrade!   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2016 9:46 pm

I got my baby back from the local suspension shop last weekend and took her out for a spin in the desert yesterday.  Wow, what a difference a real suspension makes with this bike!

My initial issues with the stock suspension while trail riding was that I couldn't keep the rear tire hooked up with terra firma on challenging trails.  Lighter dedicated dirt bikes were getting traction where I couldn't.  Basically it felt like the rear suspension was sometimes pushing the tire away from the ground when I desperately needed the opposite.  After reading forum posts here and on ADVrider I achieved dramatic improvements by making the following adjustments to the factory suspension.  The difference in keeping the rear tire hooked up was night and day.

Here's what initially provided some relief for me with the stock suspension:
- Increased the rear shock rebound dampening to maximum (3 clicks out).
- Left the compression dampening at the stock midpoint setting (10 clicks out). This helped keep the rear tire hooked up.
- Increased the fork compression dampening to near maximum (1 click out) to keep the front from diving when hitting rocks and roots.
- Decreased the fork rebound dampening to lightest setting (15 clicks out) to get the head back up ASAP after diving.

But I still had challenges with the rear end pogo-ing (bouncing) in the whoops and with front shocks reacting quickly to hopping over bigger obstacles like roots, rocks, and small logs in the trail.  So I saved my coins and a few assorted bills with images of various dead presidents on them and invested in a new suspension... and I LOVE IT.

On the rear shock I installed an Eibach spring appropriate for my weight, a Race Tech Gold valve, and a new shock seal head.  Up front I went with new fork springs, Race Tech Gold Valve compression and rebound valves, and SKF fork seals and bushings.  I decided to go with a local Race Tech shop rather than send everything out to Go Race.

This was by far the most expensive mod I've done to this bike.  After my test ride yesterday I'm really glad I did it.  I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces this riding season.  Stay tuned for photos and GoPro ride reports.

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Sus0210

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Sus0110

If you aren't familiar with SKF fork seals you should check out this video (or the others like it on the web):

Last edited by wwguy on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

k294 likes this post

Back to top Go down
rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 6:07 am

Looking good... enjoy the new "ride" .... The skf link was informative. When order time roles around for bike parts... sometimes its a bit overwhelming.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Race Tech Test Ride   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 5:46 pm

Here's a video of my first serious ride on my new suspension, made during a ride on Saturday.  I'm 100% pleased.  My only regret is waiting so long to do it.

I spent the afternoon riding fast and hard through 30 miles of SW Idaho desert with two more experienced riders on KTM two-stroke bikes.  My WR250R is certainly heavier, but the Scott's stabilizer bought me a little additional relief to supplement the suspension mods.  With the shorter suspension travel and smaller diameter fork pistons the WRR will never be seriously comparable to dedicated dirt bikes... but it can keep up with them for a while!

With the suspension improvements now complete the biggest performance bottleneck on this bike at the moment is probably the owner/rider.  But you just can't fix old and stupid.

Hope you enjoy the video. It was a blast making it.

Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 1:01 pm

I enjoyed some late winter desert riding yesterday in the foothills of the Owyhee Mountains in SW Idaho.  I'm really enjoying the new suspension.  Video to follow soon.

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Owyhee11

Last edited by wwguy on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Here's an 8 minute video summary of my solo desert ride on Sunday. The video is edited at real-time speed except for 3 slow-motion sections where I tried to show how rocky the trails are. This area of SW Idaho is covered in volcanic rock and keeps me on my toes and my suspension busy! The Scott's steering stabilizer is also a HUGE help riding through this kind of terrain.

This area was all new to me and a blast to discover as I rode through it!

Back to top Go down
softjeans

softjeans

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 2:39 pm

I'm soo jealous of you Wwguy. Living in London is fun on my X but damn I wish I could go exploring like that. thumb
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 05, 2016 6:06 pm

deleted

Last edited by wwguy on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 12:13 am

Glad to see someone having fun out that direction. We moved most of the shop this weekend. Still have a bunch of stuff to move, but we probably got 3/4 of it out here. I did manage to break the bike out and run it around on our property yesterday. Running over pocket gopher holes and caving them in on their heads I hope. My wife rides an atv also. We can't wait to get finished moving and go riding soon. Would loved to get out in the owyhees by April. Glad to see someone is.
Back to top Go down
Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 10:45 pm

Great pic`s and great riding area, cheer`s
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Just enjoyed another great spring weekend for SW Idaho desert riding.  I rode solo on Saturday then explored the Oregon Trail again with my wife and her ATV on Sunday.

Here's a continuous 4 minute shot from Saturday's ride that reminded me of watching a first-person video game.   lurk

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 pm

You're making me jealous. Still had to work on the old house this weekend (should be closing within 2 weeks) and then moved machinery and shop stuff. Hoping to be done with the moving next weekend, then we can go ride down by Fossil Butte the weekend after. Both our machines are ready to go now, so it's just a matter of getting the time.

It was a really nice weekend for spring riding, glad someone was out enjoying it!
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Gratuitous springtime riding photo, taken Saturday just west of Castle Creek on the Owyhee front. Gotta let Traveller know what he's missing out on with all that moving he's been doing the past few weeks! Very happy

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Spring10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2016 8:05 pm

wwguy wrote:
Gratuitous springtime riding photo, taken Saturday just west of Castle Creek on the Owyhee front.  Gotta let Traveller know what he's missing out on with all that moving he's been doing the past few weeks! Very happy

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Spring10

Yeah, rub it in. We packed the last of the loose stuff and made three trips this weekend. The shop is now empty except for 3-4 things that need to go to the youth ranch next weekend. Then a good sweeping and we're officially out of there. The garage here is stuffed, so now we're working on a storage solution. Need to get the shop operational here as I have a couple people wanting cylinder head work.

Love that area out in the desert.

I have taken the bike out of the garage and run it around on the property however! So far, I think the Kenda Parker DT's are a serious upgrade in traction. They just flat out grip. I've also been able to take out some pent up aggression on the huge whistle pig population. Picked up a Gamo high power air rifle a week ago, and once I put a better scope on it (first one died quick) and got it sighted in, they all run scared when I go outside. Killed about 20 of the little bastards this weekend. They are some serious property destroying little bundles of joy.

I think that in a couple more weekends of working here, that we'll have the house mostly put together. The shop will take another 6 weeks I'm pretty sure. Should be riding by the middle of April at least one day on the weekends we hope.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 2:45 pm

I'll cross-post this in the Sweet Mods sub-forum but wanted to add it here too for easy future reference. I've been riding solo through some pretty rocky and remote desert country this spring, so I've been looking into some protection for my precious and expensive brake discs.  The jury's still out on a solution for the front, but I think I've found something I like for the rear.

A couple of weeks ago I read a post over on ADVrider where someone fitted a TM Designworks rear disc guard for YZ/YZF/WRF to their WRR.  I checked through some Yamaha OEM parts links and learned that several (but not all) rear brake parts are common to all of these bikes.  The stock gray rear caliper guard is one of those parts.  So I ordered the TMD rear disc guard via Amazon and received it yesterday. I like it.  It's simple, lightweight, and looks like it can take a beating and keep going.

It took me more time to find wrenches and loctite than it did to bolt the caliper guard onto the bike via the 2 supplied bolts. The closest analogy I can think of for the material is colored UHMW. It appears to be tough, flexibly rigid (or rigidly flexible), and the same high density material all the way through.  TMD has been using this material for years to make chain sliders, chain guides, and skid plates for most popular motocross bikes.

I like the look of the disc guard enough that I've ordered the matching TMD caliper guard too. But I must confess that the caliper guard is just a cosmetic indulgence, as the stock grey rear caliper guard works just fine.

It's too bad TM Designworks doesn't make parts specifically for the WRR. Their swingarm sliders, chain guides, and skid plates look awesome too.

From TM Designworks website:
WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Cat-disc-guard

Here's the part mounted on my 2011 WR250R:

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Tmd110

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Tmd210
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 6:17 pm

Loaded up the bike and headed out last weekend for an overnight camping & riding trip in the remote and rugged Owyhee Canyonlands in eastern Oregon.  Set up a comfy camp at the Birch Creek Historic Ranch BLM site and rode from there.

Oh wow is this bike ever a blast to ride!

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Birch_13

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Birch_18

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Birch_15

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Birch_17

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Birch_11

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Birch_12
Back to top Go down
05cr125r

05cr125r

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 7:57 pm

^^^ that's good stuff there bud...fantastic pictures
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 8:49 pm

very jealous. Been wanting to do some motocamping. Maybe this year:wink:
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Great weather yesterday for an afterwork ride on the 8th Street trails above Boise.  It was my first time back here since the snowy photos above taken back in mid-November.

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Img_2011
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 2:02 pm

You're having way too much fun. You need to run a penalty lap to nampa and back between 4 and 6 pm.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Traveller wrote:
You're having way too much fun.   You need to run a penalty lap to nampa and back between 4 and 6 pm.  

Ha ha... no way!! I live near Eagle and Overland and that's bad enough. When I ride Danskin or Owyhee OHV I take the back roads via Cloverdale and Kuna Mora Rd. etc. When I ride above town I try to time it so I'm going the opposite direction of rush hour commuters. I was raised up in Salmon ID and my heart has always been in the hills. Unfortunately my job is in the city. I'm totally jealous of your recent move.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 2:26 pm

Traffic West of the connector has gotten so bad in the last few years, we take long trips around town to avoid it also! At least now when we head South we can just take Simco and head out through Grandview.

That looks like an awesome view from up there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WWGuy's WR250R photo thread   WWGuy's WR250R photo thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

WWGuy's WR250R photo thread
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next