Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Aftermarked case saver: does it make things worse?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Biohazzy

Aftermarked case saver: does it make things worse? Empty
PostSubject: Aftermarked case saver: does it make things worse?   Aftermarked case saver: does it make things worse? EmptySun Apr 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Hello everyone!

I recently fitted an sandeman case saver kit + sprocket guard to my wr250r, which looks really nice.

However I stumbeled upon following post in the EU-Forum:

http://wr250r-x-euro.activeboard.com/t63170792/broken-chain-causes-carnage/

It seems that at least two chain failures of bikes with installed aftermarked case guard lead to breaking off the threaded spigot.

Now I'm thinking of taking the aftermarked case saver off and installing the original one again, which connects all the bolts together and should avoid breaking the threaded spigot off since the chain can not wrap around it because there is a nice piece of plastic in between.

of course, if this chain failures would have lead to a broken case it would still be a good trade off. but has anyone ever had a cracked case caused by a chain failure with our WRR?

Any toughts on this or similar problems?

Cheers!
Biohazzy
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarked case saver: does it make things worse?   Aftermarked case saver: does it make things worse? EmptySun Apr 09, 2017 4:21 pm

So 2 times the case saver saved the bike, yet you doubt it?

the person in the post even writes "Although maybe to be fair, the case saver probably seriously just saved me from cracking the casing wide open!"

Install and dont look back, id take that little part broken of, over a hole in the case any day of the week.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarked case saver: does it make things worse?   Aftermarked case saver: does it make things worse? EmptyWed Apr 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Jens Eskildsen wrote:
So 2 times the case saver saved the bike, yet you doubt it?

the person in the post even writes "Although maybe to be fair, the case saver probably seriously just saved me from cracking the casing wide open!"

Install and dont look back, id take that little part broken of, over a hole in the case any day of the week.

I agree, though not great breaking off the "threaded spigot" is much better than punching a hole in the case leading to oil loss and potential engine damage.   Also pay close attention to the install of your master link or consider a rivet type chain: modern chains should not break.

Another thought is the sandman case saver can be purchased/installed without the "cage" piece.  That's arguably less safe and one might argue that nothing on the bike is as valuable as your foot but it could reduce the odds of this particular problem.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarked case saver: does it make things worse?   Aftermarked case saver: does it make things worse? Empty

Back to top Go down

Aftermarked case saver: does it make things worse?
Page 1 of 1