Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tire wear question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dicklane625

dicklane625

Tire wear question  Empty
PostSubject: Tire wear question    Tire wear question  EmptyFri Apr 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Idk if this is normal or not. Seems like an odd wear pattern. Dunno if I should pull it off n flip it or not.

Tire wear question  IMG_0262_zpsprf5lcmq
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Tire wear question    Tire wear question  EmptyFri Apr 14, 2017 7:04 pm

I guess it's hard to see but she's wearin out every other knob n even the high side is way below the next knob.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Tire wear question    Tire wear question  EmptySat Apr 15, 2017 4:17 am

Its normal, and yeah you can flip it for some extended life..
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Tire wear question    Tire wear question  EmptySat Apr 15, 2017 7:51 am

dicklane625 wrote:
Idk if this is normal or not. Seems like an odd wear pattern. Dunno if I should pull it off n flip it or not.

Tire wear question  IMG_0262_zpsprf5lcmq

Is that the front tire by chance?

If so, that wear is usually due from braking and is perfectly normal. Flip it if you want a little more life out of it.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Tire wear question    Tire wear question  EmptySat Apr 15, 2017 9:40 am

That's normal for a knobby tire.
I've found any tire that's half decent off road wears like that on the road.
You can flip it and run it for quite a bit longer or just keep running it until the knobs that are wearing on an angle are pretty much gone, they get kinda lumpy feeling at walking speed on pavement when they get worn to that point but it doesn't hurt anything.
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Tire wear question    Tire wear question  EmptySat Apr 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Thanks for the responses. It is the front n a mt21. It's hard to see in the pic n I'm not very good with a camera. I'm trying to figure out how to explain this better...

That tire has kind of a 2 1 2 center knob pattern kinda like =-= if they were centered on each other. There are other knobs these are just the main center ones. The angled knobs in the pic would be the =. At the high side of these in the center they measure 7/32. The - knob measures 9/32 at the low side.... This is only the second front tire I've ran down. The first was the deathwing... The deathwing had an angled wear also but all the knobs had it evenly... It seems weird to me that one set of lugs is wore down more than the other.. If I look down the front of the tire instead of seeing all the tops of the knobs I only see the top of the - knobs... I didn't measure n compare low side to low side but I'd guess the difference is .25" or more... It almost seems to me like the knobs would have to be made out of different compounds to make it wear this way... Not that I always brake when the bike is straight up but if I have to brake hard I try to keep her as straight up as possible...

Dunno if that will make sense to anyone... Tried to explain it without assuming you know the mt21 tread pattern... Does this still seem normal to you? I think I thought about it too much tho.... BOOM
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Tire wear question    Tire wear question  EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 6:52 am

I know what your saying, I've worn a mt21 out too.

My thinking on it and other knobby tires with similar patterns wearing like this is, the row of knobs with knobs positioned like this = flex every time they hit the pavement wearing quickly and the row with one knob in the middle like this - doesn't so it doesn't wear as much.

Here's a pic of a worn out mt21 and a 1/2 worn kenda Washougal.
Tire wear question  Dscn0110
Tire wear question  Dscn0111
Back to top Go down
dicklane625

dicklane625

PostSubject: Re: Tire wear question    Tire wear question  EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks again. Have you ever worn one down any further to see if the wear on the centered knob catches up?
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Tire wear question    Tire wear question  EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 2:43 pm

I never wear tires all the way out, they suck off road when 1/2 worn out.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Tire wear question    Tire wear question  EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 4:59 pm

They dont "catch up"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tire wear question    Tire wear question  Empty

Back to top Go down

Tire wear question
Page 1 of 1