Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gravelin Gary

Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)? Empty
PostSubject: Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)?   Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)? EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 9:03 am

I'm about to go Tubeliss and need to decide on a new rear tire. Anyone have experience with both of the tires mentioned in the title?

Main priority is traction in the Ozarks. I.E. Wet, rocky, rooted hills with some mud and sand thrown in here and there.

Any advice especially personal experience will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)?   Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)? EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 10:10 am

Do you need DOT tires? In other words will you be riding on the street at all?

My buddy has ran the MT43 rear out here in GA but some of the mud and sand we would hit had him pulling off that tire in favor of a D606 or TR8 rear.

Sounds like the terrain you will be hitting has some pretty good variety to it so it may be down to finding the best compromise.

If we are going to be hitting sloppy rocky stuff out here and not a lot of pavement I run a Pirelli XCMH rear and a XCMS front. They are DOT approved and work pretty well in the slop but don' last very long on the pavement.
Back to top Go down
Gravelin Gary

PostSubject: Re: Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)?   Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)? EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Yes they need to be DOT as I'll be traveling the road to get to the trails etc. I have two sets of wheels so they don't have to be the longest lasting tires since I run Shinko 705 for commuting etc. The other wheels will cary the more off road oriented for planned excursions and exploration so I guess these don't HAVE to be DOT.  wink  

I agree that compromises will have to be made. I will see more wet rock and roots than mud but I don't want to get bummed out when I see the occasional stretch of mud if you know what I mean?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)?   Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)? EmptyTue Jun 06, 2017 10:36 am

Gravelin Gary wrote:
Yes they need to be DOT as I'll be traveling the road to get to the trails etc. I have two sets of wheels so they don't have to be the longest lasting tires since I run Shinko 705 for commuting etc. The other wheels will cary the more off road oriented for planned excursions and exploration so I guess these don't HAVE to be DOT.  wink  

I agree that compromises will have to be made. I will see more wet rock and roots than mud but I don't want to get bummed out when I see the occasional stretch of mud if you know what I mean?

Well if you really want DOT tires you need to remember that the Tubeliss system is not recommended for the highway nor DOT approved.

As far as the tires go, I suspect you will be ok with the MT43. If you hit some big mud holes just look for ways around rather than going through.
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)?   Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)? EmptyTue Jun 06, 2017 6:48 pm

rsteiger wrote:

Well if you really want DOT tires you need to remember that the Tubeliss system is not recommended for the highway nor DOT approved.

DOT rating is for tires only. Inner tubes are not "DOT approved".
Back to top Go down
Gravelin Gary

PostSubject: Re: Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)?   Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)? EmptyWed Jun 07, 2017 7:30 am

rsteiger wrote:

As far as the tires go, I suspect you will be ok with the MT43.  If you hit some big mud holes just look for ways around rather than going through.

A lot of Tubeliss reviews indicate plenty of road use without any problems. Seems the disclaimer is for liability concerns more than anything.

Still would like to hear from anyone who has experience with either of these tires on a WRR with Tubeliss setup.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)?   Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)? EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 pm

So did you go with the Tubliss?

Why are so many people hung up on whether or not it's been blessed by the DOT?
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)?   Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)? EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Jerry S wrote:

For fear that Tubliss may not be able to withstand elevated temperatures that result from extended high speed runs on the highway. This is the same problem that afflicts mousse inserts, and the reason why mousse are not supposed to be used on asphalt: they melt under these conditions.
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)?   Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)? EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 1:10 am

johnkol wrote:
Jerry S wrote:

For fear that Tubliss may not be able to withstand elevated temperatures that result from extended high speed runs on the highway. This is the same problem that afflicts mousse inserts, and the reason why mousse are not supposed to be used on asphalt: they melt under these conditions.

Ya that's interesting, the idea of running a low-pressure knobbies on the highway at high speeds for extended periods of time didn't occur to me.

I've ran non-dot wheels and tires on all kinds of race vehicles for the last 20 years and never worried about the DOT rating or the speed rating.

Our race team has had mixed results with mousses, we destroyed a set while doing the Best in the Desert, Vegas to Reno after 500 miles, but I'm hearing about some teams getting twice that mileage under the same conditions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)?   Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tubeliss + (MT43 or Mitas 07)?
Page 1 of 1