Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Paint rub on WR250R

Go down 
+5
MAINEWR
beer goggle
YZEtc
johnkol
jamiemm18
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jamiemm18

Paint rub on WR250R Empty
PostSubject: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyTue Feb 27, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi, quick question. I'm looking at a few WR250R's and I noticed on this one that there is paint rubbed off of the brackets that hold the passenger foot pegs. The bracket is black from the factory and I can see that there is paint rubbed off of it. Would this be from carrying a passenger a lot and their shoes rubbing on it?? Or is this from the boots of the rider and it means he rides off road standing up a lot and gripping the bike with his knees. Please see the pic and let me know your thoughts. Thanks.Paint rub on WR250R No_rub10
Paint rub on WR250R Paint_10
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyTue Feb 27, 2018 9:31 pm

This bracket is too far back for a rider's boot to rub on.

I can confirm though that this bracket will hit the ground if you drop the bike on the right hand side -- it acts as protector for the exhaust.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 3:42 am

The rider's boot can reach that if the rider is moving back on the bike as when riding over rough terrain at speed.
On the WR250R I rode for about a year-and-a-half, both on- and off-road, I rubbed off the middle of that warning sticker near that passenger footrest mount.

There is also rub marks over the swingarm pivot in your pic.
However, I feel these are normal and no cause for alarm in themselves, unless the guy is trying to claim he never rode the bike at all.

What does the left-hand side of the bike look like?
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 2:51 pm

YZEtc wrote:
The rider's boot can reach that if the rider is moving back on the bike as when riding over rough terrain at speed.
On the WR250R I rode for about a year-and-a-half, both on- and off-road, I rubbed off the middle of that warning sticker near that passenger footrest mount.

There is also rub marks over the swingarm pivot in your pic.
However, I feel these are normal and no cause for alarm in themselves, unless the guy is trying to claim he never rode the bike at all.

What does the left-hand side of the bike look like?

here are pictures of the bike. I think a good rider squeezing the bike with their legs and riding hard may be able to do that. I just cant tell how far back you have to be to rub that paint off. If I had one in my garage, I'd sit on it and see but hoping someone here can do that for me. Or I can go to a Yamaha dealer about 30 mins away. Here is a pic of the other side but it  is an ad pic, so not very large.
Paint rub on WR250R 00m0m_10
Paint rub on WR250R 00101_10
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyThu Mar 01, 2018 4:30 am

Just wondering:
Why is this important?
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyThu Mar 01, 2018 11:14 am

YZEtc wrote:
Just wondering:
Why is this important?

I want to get a machine that has been lightly ridden. If I have to wait for that to happen, I can be patient. I don't want one that has been thrashed in the woods. This bike has a number of upgrades so that made me wonder. The upgrades are below. Aside from that, I am just very curious. I know what to look for on ATV's and dirt bikes - typically wear areas so I don't get fooled by a new set of plastics. I thought the paint rub was in an unusual spot and this will likely not be the last dual sport I buy so I was hoping to learn what it was from.

-FMF Powercore 4 slip on exhaust
-FMF Power Commander computer
-Ex-up emulator
-No Toil air filter
-Pro Taper bars
-Pro Taper pillow top grips
-Tusk rear rack
-Flatlands skid plate
Back to top Go down
beer goggle

beer goggle

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyThu Mar 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Chain looks like it's been neglected and the tool kit is missing.

Back to top Go down
MAINEWR

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyThu Mar 01, 2018 3:14 pm

That area could have been used for straps to hold bags etc.
You don't list the mileage. If the owner put an FMF pipe, pro taper bars and bash plate on it I would say it sounds like he intended to "use" it. Nothing wrong with that, they are made for it to a point of course. If you want a "lightly used" one I would suggest looking for a bone stock bike with very low miles and no mods. Good luck, they are great bikes.
Back to top Go down
Potentate

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyThu Mar 01, 2018 11:53 pm

I wouldn't worry about the paint rub, or the chain. I would replace the chain shortly after purchase. I have more paint worn off than that, definitely from my boots, no big deal there.

These bikes can run a long time when cared for, they can also take a lot of abuse, and are very serviceable. To me it all comes down to how does it run/ride, how many miles, and how much? If it runs good at a fair price go for it. If it doesn't start right up, or has other issues I'd steer clear. Then for price, how much is a bike worth? It's worth what someone will pay for it. Price is vey subjective, compare similar mileage bikes to judge the price point. Bolt on accessories really do not add any value, so keep that in mind. If you want those accessories it can be cheaper to buy a bike with them already.

Good luck, and happy hunting!
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 7:34 am

My woods riding is easier on the machine than droning down the interstate at relativly high rpms for several hours.

Theese things lasts forever.
Back to top Go down
DPete

DPete

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Paint rub from passenger feet would be my guess
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The bike has 1500 miles and is a 2017. He wants 5800 and I am trying to get it for 5K but have not been able to get him to agree yet. Here is what he responded with regarding the paint rub. Sound legit? And would the other bike clue you into anything? Thanks!

"The bike was used 80% on road, 20% on dirt roads. I do wear large Sidi Adventure boots (outside the pants) when I ride and that’s what causes the wear. The passenger pegs obviously stick out farther than the frame, hence contact is made there first. On my BMW, which is clearly a larger motorcycle, the passenger foot pegs are further aft and the frame comes into contact with the boots first.

You’ve got a great eye. "

*************** There is one other bike available. Its a 2017 garage queen on consignment at a dealer. It has 450 miles and looks spotless. They want $5500 bottom line for it and I just cant do it. No offense to the wr group, but if I am going to spend over 5K, I feel like I should be getting a husky or ktm. But do you think a 2017 with 450 spotless miles is worth 5500? They were asking 6300 and that their bottom price. I saw a brand new one leftover at a dealer priced at 5999- so I feel like this bike should go for 1K less. Can you give me your thoughts on both bikes? Thanks!!!!
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm

This is the most in-depth discussion I've seen about paint rub.
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Sorry, I'll let the thread die.
Back to top Go down
Potentate

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R EmptySat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 am

No need to apologize, but it is funny. Let us know what you end up with.

Either bike would do you well and sound reasonably priced. My opinion...is go with the brand new bike, for only a $500 dollar difference I'd rather have a new bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paint rub on WR250R   Paint rub on WR250R Empty

Back to top Go down

Paint rub on WR250R
Page 1 of 1