Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250R or KTM /. Husky

Go down 
+2
johnkol
jamiemm18
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jamiemm18

WR250R or KTM  /. Husky Empty
PostSubject: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptySun Mar 11, 2018 1:17 am

Hello, I am really struggling with this decision. A 2017 Wr250r with 500 miles on it for around $5500 and the bike looks basically new. Or a 2016 Husqvarna FE 350 with 100 miles for around $5800 and the bike is virtually new. They are ver different bikes and I can’t decide between them but can’t afford them both. Insane performance and lightweight for the husky, along with nice components like Brembo hydraulic clutch, Brembo brakes, galfer rotors, did wheels, supersprox sprockets, etc.Or a dual sport bike that is slower and heavier, but probably more comfortable, better onthe street, and super low maintenance - the wr. I had a 2010 and sold it out of boredom. But I remember putting 2500 miles on it and I don’t think I even tightened the chain once. Few cleaned air filters and oil changes, one flat tube, nothing else. I’ve had ktm and husky race bikes and changed sprokets, steering bearings, wheel bearings, had valves checked, etc. How did you folks make your decision? Thanks
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptySun Mar 11, 2018 3:00 am

It all depends on the kind of riding you intent to do, and your engineering aptitude.

1. Mainly off-road riding with minimal time spent on asphalt? Husky.

2. Long-distance adventure riding?
  a) Do you have good mechanical skills? Are you willing to carry spare parts with you and service the bike on the road? Then Husky again.
  b) Scared of servicing valves? WRR.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptySun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 am

I alternate every 5 years... KTM.... Damn too much maintenance....  Yamaha..... Damn too boring .....Husqvarna...

Seriously if you will be riding dirt and not commuting, KTM all the way
Back to top Go down
Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 8:46 pm

off the net - YRRV

Having just owned and sold a 2016 Ktm 350 exc-f I feel your pain the first time I changed the oil and the book tells you to lay the bike on its side and fill the filter hole 2/3 up then put the filter in was the start of me loosing interest then keeping up on valve adjustments plus all your regular basic maintenance didn't leave much time to ride. In all honesty when I pulled it down to do the valves I couldn't believe how bad the electrical was cheap connectors most aren't weather sealed and and nothing was tied in looked like a 3rd grader did it and the mess behind the headlight was just a ball of wires no loom plastic on anything or nothing zip tied. The only thing you pay for is that motor and it's not 10k plus great.
Then there is the KTM customer service or I should say the lack of.
But that's my opinion/experience

The KTM wants valve clearance checks every 15 hours or 100l of fuel, that works out to about every 500 miles, oil changes are around that mark too unless it gets used in heavy conditions.

The WR specs its first valve check at 26,000 miles. Oil changes every 3000.
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Going back then?   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. You going back to a wr then? Buying used or new? Just curious. I've found one in my area thats a 2017 with 400 miles on it for 5500. Wondering if thats a good price. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 11:08 pm

I have a 15 wr250r which I bought in 16 with 400 miles for $5000 in winter / private sale ... (out of warranty)
what I posted was just off the internet - FYI
my bike is great for my riding (no racing / just street & trail) - no problems
that price is decent - bike is still being broken in and probably still under warranty (inquire about that) (1 year unlimited with owner transfer ok)

good luck

Back to top Go down
VW_Lee

VW_Lee

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 11:10 pm

Like johnkol said, it comes down to the type of riding you're going to be doing. I have a WR250R and a 500 EXC. The reason for the 500 EXC is the Mojave Desert. The WR just doesn't cut it in the desert. Sure, the WR will GO anywhere you want to take it, but the KTM flourishes in the desert where the WR fights you with its heavy weight, underpowered engine, and insufficient suspension. If you want maximum performance and fun, the KTM/Husky is the way to go.

Having said all that, the reason I kept the WR is because I can ride it all I want without stressing over the number of hours I'm putting on it. I don't mind the general maintenance on the KTM, but I know that the engine will need to be rebuilt when it gets to ~140 hours. So I choose my KTM time wisely and ride the heck out of the WR the rest of the time. I actually PREFER the WR for around town riding and fire road cruising. I'm going to Moab, UT later on this year, and I'm most likely going to take the WR because we'll be doing a mix of dirt trails and paved riding through the various parks. The WR is a much better all around motorcycle, and it makes an excellent traveling companion.

Lee
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 11:32 pm

You both hit the nail on the head. I've been building spreadsheets for comparisons with specs categories, how I will ride it categories, etc. It has at least helped me understand the difference between the bikes. I'd say the WR is a street bike that can do some dirt riding. The KTM is a dirt bike that can do some street. Street bikes go longer intervals between maintenance and are tuned different so the WR will need less maintenance but have less power. I'll spend most of my time riding on the street to the kids practices, etc. But will hit some trails in freetown that are very difficult. I hit them once before when I had my 2010 WR and it was not easy. I think a KTM or husky would be easier. I don't mind the effort involved in maintenance as I have a race bike already and do oil every 10 hours, air filter every ride, etc. But..... I will also be watching every mile / hour on the KTM as I care about resale value since I change bikes every couple of years. With a WR, I wouldn't even look at the odometer. But... my gut tells me if there was a similar KTM for the same price as the WR, I would have already gone to pick it up. The WR is available and I can afford it but I am dragging my feet. I have all the facts thanks to you guys. I just need to make a choice. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 11:47 pm

more stuff here
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/yamaha-wr250r-mega-thread.329337/
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 1:01 am

jamiemm18 wrote:
I'll spend most of my time riding on the street to the kids practices, etc. But will hit some trails in freetown that are very difficult.

I know where you are: you are trying to justify to yourself the rational choice, which is the WRR, and convince yourself that you will be happy with it, even though you sold the last one you had because it did not provide any thrills.

I say forget the WRR. If you are not planning any long-distance trips, then the WRR does not provide any meaningful advantages. Get the Husky, it will not leave you stranded on short trips, and the performance when you hit the dirt (or even street with appropriate tyres) will put a huge smile on your face every time.

Life is short; don't waste it on "rational" choices.
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 9:25 am

Sooo true. I’ve almost talked myself into the wr but remember feeling like I was in a nose dive every time the terrain wasn’t level. And wheelies, even if you can get the front end to life on the wr, when it drops down, it will shake the fillings in your teeth. But it’s cheaper, easier to own, no worries to pound the miles on, has passenger pegs, great on the street..... A case can be made for either bike. Maybe I’ll get crap boxes and get one of each :) Not really,, my bikes are like a 69 camaro to me. Always cleaner than my car, always getting their pics taken and being admired as I walk by in the garage
Back to top Go down
jimbop

jimbop

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 1:37 pm

I owned a WR 250 and now have a 2017 Fe 350. There is no comparison riding anything off pavement, be it a fire road or a technical single track the FE 350 rules and brings very large smiles to my face every time I ride it. Oill change takes about 20 minutes once you have done a few.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. Do you have concerns over the mileage and resale value? I have no doubt the FE is better off road but I believe a wr with 5000 miles would sell pretty easily. I "believe" that a KTM or Husky would be hard to sell once you get past the 4000 mile mark. Agree, disagree? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
jimbop

jimbop

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 2:00 pm

I buy my bikes for the riding experience that they are going to supply not their resale value, after all isn't that why we do this crazy fun life giving activity! I bought a 2010 KTM 690 in 2012, I was the 5th owner and rode it for 4 summers. I sold it for less then a $1000 dollar loss. KTM's and Husky's maintain their value as used bikes. The secret is to buy used if you are really trying to protect you $. I think the price you are looking at is pretty decent. Only you can decide, Vanilla or Double Dark Chocolate!
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 2:09 pm

Good point about the enjoyment of the sport rather than the resale. Like anything in life - you snooze, you lose. This bike is gone. Guy sold it for $5900 two days after he offered it to me for less. It needed a dual sport kit and keyed ignition or kill switch since it was the FE 350, not the FE 350S but it did have a street title. I figured it was going to be about $500 total to put a sicass kit on it and then the ignition. At that point I would be into it for 6400 and it didn't feel like it was "as great' of a deal. The only thing currently available, aside from 2 WR's, is a 14 KTM 350 EXC-F with 1300 miles for $6000 and a 2016 Husky FE 350S with 500 miles on it for $7000. Both bikes are firm. The 14 KTM was 6500 down to 6000. The FE 350S is 7450 down to 7100 but he'll probably bite at 7000. Thanks
Back to top Go down
mferring

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 am

I am a longtime WR250 owner. have a 2012 with Pro circuit exhaust, IMS tank, seat concepts seat. Really great bike for just about everything, including long luggage intensive adventure trips.

However, I purchased a Beta 500 RR-S last year and I must say I hardly ever ride the WR anymore. I keep it for visitors and my sons to ride, and occasionally for running errands.

The beta has a 4.1g IMS tank, Seat Concepts seat, Stillwell performance shock revalving for riding rocky trails. 60 lbs lighter and triple the horsepower of the WR with the trademark easy to use Beta power. Much cheaper than Husky and KTM. Engine is bulletproof with about twice the mileage for maintenance intervals. You might want to consider one as an alternative. Also, street version is basically the same engine as the race version. They import few enough units that they don't have to meet the same stringent EPA regs as KTM/Husky.

If I could only have one, I would keep the Beta. It does fine on the road and is just so easy and fun to ride. Torque out the wazoo. And I can't tell you how much I love the hydraulic clutch for one finger traction control.

But I live in the mountains and am pretty far from any city, so having a really capable dirtbike is my priority.

Good luck with your choice. I do like having both though!
Back to top Go down
jamiemm18

PostSubject: follow up   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Hi, I went with a WR. I know the KTM is better off road. I think I understand the difference. The WR250 is like a street bike that can go off road. The KTM is like a dirt bike that can go on the street. I want to take my kids for a ride occasionally, I would like a tame comfortable ride to go to their practices after work, I race vet motocross and spend a lot of time maintaining my YZ450 and I don't want to have 2 bikes to constantly maintain. I looked at the service intervals and an oil change every 4000 miles, air filter cleaning twice a year (depending on dust) and the first valve check at 26.6K miles? How can you beat that. I just wanted the dual sport to be "simple". Simple to ride, simple to pass inspection, simple to have a passenger and simple to go get milk on. I believe the KTM is a superior bike but I paid almost half as much as I would have for the same year and mileage KTM, I dont have to worry about inspections, or how to get footpegs for a passenger and I certainly dont have to worry about where I am going to find the time to maintain it. I'll just ride it and keep it up with maintenance as required. Thank you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250R or KTM /. Husky   WR250R or KTM  /. Husky Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250R or KTM /. Husky
Page 1 of 1